IGNORED

Splash Pan

taikaki

Hey Guys

Sorry, both incorrect. It was plain steel pressed and wasnt painted at all. I have this on good authority.

If you have a workshop manual and you look through the pics in there you will see that it is a very light colour (ie black and white photos) which indicates to me that the info I have is correct.

Just strip it down and clear coat it for the original look.

Sorry to go against the concensus on this one. Hope this helps you out.

Regards

Joseph

2Many

Like I said I have it on good authority that they were just plain pressed steel from the factory. I think that the later ones (ie for the 260z/280z) were black as I use to own a 75 260z (yes, they exist here in Australia) and it had one that was black.

The person I got the info from use to work for Datsun back in the 70's and purchased one over the parts counter for his car.

I believe that the 240z used for the photos in the official Nissan workshop manual is a LHD USA specification car.

If you have a manual take a look at the towing section which is within the first few pages and also the front suspension section and there is some good pics in there.

Wish I had a pic to post but unfortunately I dont. Mine is currently painted black and I plan to strip it and clear coat it for the original look.

Please post any more info that you find. At this stage Im happy to stick with the plain pressed steel finish.

Yup, you're right... my 71 FSM does show a pic that it looks to be bare steel or at least not black..Forgot all about that pic...:stupid:

I do know that the one off the 75 I had that I think I threw away:stupid: :cross-eye was black.. and one of the 240's I had had a black one on it, but that would have been either a 72 or 73.. been too long ago to remember, and it could have been painted by a PO....

Sorry, my faux pas....:ermm:

2Many

No probs, just wanted to clear it up for the record as I would hate for hundreds of people to go out and start to paint their stone/splash pans black ;>

I just hope that the original poster of the query hasnt been able to get to the auto parts store as yet to pick up their rattle can of gloss black.

Later

Joseph

When I bought my 1972 UK spec 240z in 1988 the splash pan car had no paint at all on it (just 16 years worth of heavy rust) As far as I can tell it had never been removed from the car either.

All the others I have seen (very few have them) were painted black. Even on early cars.