IGNORED

Splash Pan

taikaki

Hi Carl,

The 74810-E4100 number shows up as NLS in the Nissan Motosports catalog , but does show it it the one that fits the Z's up to 8/74.

74810-N4200 is for cars from 9/74 on.

The later one in the Motorsports catalog is shown paintd black.

Mike

Hi,

I found black one from Jan.1970 issued "car graphic"in japan.

This car must be built in 1969 due to the date of issue of magazine.

I can see the black splash pan under the S20 engine.This is a fairlady Z432.

So,black pan had already been seen in 1969,I can say there have been two colors (black and silver)from 1969.

post-3193-14150793019537_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kats:

Your Nov. 69 Parts List will also "show" a front and rear spoiler for the 240-Z - but we never got them either - here in the US. Does it "show" the rear anti-sway bar? (we didn't get that either). Lots of stuff in the Parts Catalog that did not come as "standard" equipment on the US 240-Z's.

Nor did we ever get the 5.5 inch wide Road Wheels, even though they were approved for sale here and listed in the original Z Sales Brochures as "optional". (SCCA still won't allow them)

I don't think there is any question that these items "existed" in 69, the original question, from Virginia was if anyone knew the original color and texture of the splash pan.

The original color of the splash pan's - on the very few US cars that did come from the factory - with the splash pan's installed - that I have ever seen were all the very light gray. Every one that we ordered over the parts counter between 1971 and 1973 came into the Dealership in the same light gray.

If someone ordered one five or six years ago - it very well could have been repainted in Nissan's inventory over the years. I've received many old body parts over the recent years that were indeed repainted in black.

The picture of the Z432 - that picture is too dark to tell much of anything and that splash pan isn't shaped the same as the one's for the 240-Z - Is it??? It looks like it loops out wider on the sides - than the one drawn in the parts catalog and the one I have here.

I'd guess that the original question was ask - because someone is trying to restore a 240-Z to ConCours standards. (Yes/No? - if No it wouldn't matter if it was "correct" or not - would it?)

If I were a ConCours Judge - I'd still be looking for proof that any 70-73 240-Z was imported into the US with a "black" splash pan. Untill I saw that proof - light gray would be the color that scored the points for originality and then only on a very early 1970 240-Z. Right or wrong - the rules have to be documented and enforced until proven wrong and changed.

Anyone have any Nissan/Datsun issued pictures of a 1970 US 240-Z with a black splash pan installed? How about pictures of a light gray one?

FWIW,

Carl

taikaki ( who posted the original question ) now has a decision to make.

I presume ( ? ) that based on his location, his car is a US-market version. He also stated that he has a "Dealer Option" Splash Pan.

Does he paint it black, paint it grey, paint it silver, clear-coat bare steel or leave it to 'ripen' nicely with a smart coat of natural rust?

Surely if its a "Dealer Option" ( and not originally supplied on his car ) he will paint it black? Is that the correct assumption of what is "correct"?

Of course, if his car turns out to be a non-US version then it will be a slightly different matter.

What have you got taikaki?:classic:

Alan T.

Z Friends

I am so glad to see this much response. I wasn't sure this topic would be like this.

HS30-H

I assume that original condition of my splash pan is similar to Carl's splash pan. but it is painted on under coat.

I think I am going to paint in black(in physicall).but not sure (in psychologically)

Kats san

I have heard splash pan for 432R is FRP.

Is it true ?

Originally posted by taikaki

Kats san

I have heard splash pan for 432R is FRP.

Is it true ?

taikaki,

If Kats does not mind, I can answer this for you with an immediate illustration. The 432 and 432R are included in my particular area of interest.

The normal 432 ( PS30 model ) had a pressed steel Splash Pan. The 432R ( PS30-SB model ) model on the other hand had an FRP engine and transmission pan. It was tucked UNDER the front valance panel ( which was also FRP, and a slightly different shape to that of the 432 and other models ) and was fitted as much for aerodynamic reasons as for other functions, according to Japanese press reports and Factory descriptions of the period.

Here's a picture of the 432R version from one of the Japanese Sports Option lists. They also fitted them to some of the Factory race cars ( Z432-R & 240ZR ) in Japan:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150793024365_thumb.jpg