IGNORED

original jute material

kats

Originally posted by kats

Today I show you rubber mats I bought from the U.S. by ebay.

These are amco,I sometimes put them in my car but its shape

is something different from the ones which I saw in many cars.

Are they for 240Z?

Thank you,

kats

I'm tearing apart a 280Z parts car right now, and I found these mats in it. I bought the car in 1994, and the drivers mat is obviously worn, so they were probably purchased in the 80's sometime, or maybe came with the car. The car is a '78. There are no manufacturer markings on them. Were mats like these available from Datsun for later Z's? They are a nice heavy rubber, and are actually in really good shape except for the wear.

Anybody know where these would have come from?

post-4028-14150793216253_thumb.jpg

I thought this might be of interest.

Its a scan of a page from Nissan Publication No.184 ( "Z-1" ) dated November 1969, which was for the Japanese market.

The translation of the numbered items is as follows:

1 = FRONT MAT

2 = REAR MAT

3 = TUNNEL MAT

4 = FRONT JUTE

5 = REAR JUTE

6 = TUNNEL JUTE

7 = FRONT INSULATOR

8 = REAR INSULATOR

9 = TUNNEL INSULATOR

The notes underneath detail the differences between the S30-S ( Fairlady Z basic no-frills model ) and the higher-specs of the S30 ( Fairlady Z-L ) and PS30 ( Fairlady Z432 ).

They describe "Asphalt Jute" and "Happo Enbi / Enka Vinyl" ( Chloridated Vinyl mat ) as standard equipment for the S30-S. "Happo" could be translated as 'bubbly' with a little imagination - so this sounds like a description of the cross-section of the rubberised / vinyl mat.

Second part of the note states that the S30 and PS30 had carpet as standard equipment.

post-2116-14150793217363_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Originally posted by HS30-H

The translation of the numbered items is as follows:

1 = FRONT MAT

2 = REAR MAT

3 = TUNNEL MAT

4 = FRONT JUTE

5 = REAR JUTE

6 = TUNNEL JUTE

7 = FRONT INSULATOR

8 = REAR INSULATOR

9 = TUNNEL INSULATOR

Hi Alan:

Thanks for posting the scan, but I am wondering about the descriptions as they relate to the Numbered pieces. Something seems a bit off. #9 is listed as "tunnel insulator", but the item shown as #9 doen't go on the tunnel, it is a piece for the rear area behind the seats. Items labeled as #4,5,6 seem to be "tunnel pieces", yet the description indicates tunnel pieces as being #3,6,9 . There are other pieces that appear to be mis-labeled. Is it just me not understanding or is there something fishy?

Hi Carl,

Well spotted!

I didn't actually notice this until you pointed it out, but the captions are actually wrong. I translated them in the order that they appear in the list, but when you compare the descriptions to the numbered pieces its clear that Nissan have cocked it up.

Here's a corrected list:

1 = FRONT MAT ( should be numbered 3 )

2 = REAR MAT ( should be numbered 7 )

3 = TUNNEL MAT ( should be numbered 6 )

4 = FRONT JUTE ( should be numbered 2 )

5 = REAR JUTE ( should be numbered 8 )

6 = TUNNEL JUTE ( should be numbered 5 )

7 = FRONT INSULATOR ( should be numbered 1 )

8 = REAR INSULATOR ( should be numbered 9 )

9 = TUNNEL INSULATOR ( should be numbered 4 )

Does that make sense?

They are calling the black tar-board the "Insulator", and the Jute is the filling in the sandwich between the Insulator and the "Mat".

Cheers!

Alan T.

Originally posted by HS30-H

They are calling the black tar-board the "Insulator", and the Jute is the filling in the sandwich between the Insulator and the "Mat".

Cheers!

Alan T.

Hi again Alan:

When you say "black tar-board" are you meaning the thin material that is actually stuck to the metal floorpans? I'll explain why I ask.

Now we're getting to something that I have been wondering about since Kats posted the pictures of his "jute" pads. On my US Spec 240Z which I bought in un-molested condition from the original owner and equiped with carpet; there is the black "tar-board" stuck to the metal floor, then there are TWO pads, and then carpet. The lower layer of "pad" is dark and sticky as some have described, and then the upper pad is light or tan colored and not sticky. This upper pad installed in my car looks like the item called "jute" by kats and shown in his pictures. The Transmission tunnel of my car only has the "tar-board" (significantly thicker than the tar-board on the floorpans), and the dark, sticky pad and then the diamond vinyl adhered directly to it, not the three layers shown in the illustration (unless the "Mat" is the vinyl).

I'm wondering if the US Spec HLS models had different (or additional) padding to what was supplied on models for other markets?

I hope that you don't mind Alan, but I've attached a modified version of the illustration that you posted with the corrections to the captions included in the image. If you don't like what I've done, I can delete it or modify it to suit you

Hello Carl,

I think you have it described very well. The "INSULATOR" is what we are calling tar mat. It is thick (2mm) tar-paper adhered to bare metal covering the floor, tunnel, and I have seen it on the rear deck (HLS30-00332). I have new "INSULATOR" material and it is flexible, but will not fold as it is impregnated with a fibrous filler. I suspect the tar mat will adhere to the floor with a heat gun application. It was used for sound insulation. I understand the 432-R did not have this material for weight reasons, Alan?

Kats' jute pictures show a light brown fibrous "JUTE" mat. I think our old stuff was soaked in a solution that leaves it "sticky" and dark (see my tunnel jute picture), but it is very fibrous almost like a horse hair material. Old Porsche jute is very similar. The jute covers the floors, tunnel, and rear deck.

Now here is where it gets a little strange. I understand that the stock original 240Z import came with "rubber" floor and rear deck mats. See my picture of the rear deck mat. It has a leather texture, 2mm thick foam composite vinyl. Mdbrandy's picture looks like the floor mats, but I need to confirm.

The tunnel was covered with diamond patterned interior vinyl, contact cemented to the jute which was contact cemented to the tar mat. The floors and deck were loose laid and the rubber mats were either snap fitted or Velcro fitted. My car has both.

Evidently, rubber mats were not a big hit in America and carpeting is very common. The Japanese version ZL came with carpeting in place of the rubber mats.

Take a look at your materials closely. It sounds to me as though you have two layers of jute.

This picture shows the tunnel jute removed and the tunnel tar mat remaining with remnants of the dark brown jute fiber and yellow contact cement. Notice some of the tar mat (brittle from age) chipped off next to the seat mount revealing bare metal.

post-4148-14150793220105_thumb.jpg

Evidently, the tar mat was applied before the car was painted. Here is a picture of the tunnel jute over the tunnel tar mat. The interior vinyl was glued directly to the jute.

Please, no comments about my floors or the firewall insulation. I'm going to fix all that! The tar mat is already off the floors and they are discolored from a rust treatment solution.

Interestingly, the jute has roller compression marks in it. Perhaps from the application of the sticky solution? The contact cement was also applied mechanically. The cement application is patterend on the fire wall, however it does appear to be a hand applied technique from the sloppiness of the work and drip marks. I imagine a paint roller type of tool used to apply the cement.

By the way, the cement is yellow, just like the 3M brand of interior and weatherstrip cement.

post-4148-14150793220648_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

I hope that you don't mind Alan, but I've attached a modified version of the illustration that you posted with the corrections to the captions included in the image............

Hi Carl,

Great job! It's much better now.

Just goes to show that there are indeed quite a lot of mistakes in the Factory publications.

I'm now wondering about the tar board and how it relates to this illustration in the November 1969 publication no.184 - is the "Insulator" and the tar board one and the same thing, or does the "Insulator" refer to a base layer of Jute with the sticky coating applied to it, underneath a top layer of Jute?

We must not forget that the illustration and captions from publication no.184 are referring to the Japanese home market cars, and may or may not apply to the earliest of the Export models.

Alan T.

Hello,

Mark,

This is the first time to see the rubber mat for me.It is quite different from mine.Is there any amco logo on the mat?Mine does not have anywhere.

Carl and Alan,

I knew that mistake when I red my service bulletin No.184.

And it is interesting the picture for the floor mats and jutes are

very close to actual shape.The picture in the Nov 1969 parts catalog's are not so great.It looks even 1971 later version.

26th-Z,

Thank you for your great photo.I see your rear deck does not have insulator,I mean I see 12 holes on the deck.

My understanding,this is a typical 1969(or Jan 1970) 240Z's featuring.My march 1970 240Z have insulator for the rear deck so holes are covered,just dents like a bowl there.

I will post my rear deck's photo.

Thank you,

kats

Originally posted by kats

Hello,

Mark,

This is the first time to see the rubber mat for me.It is quite different from mine.Is there any amco logo on the mat?Mine does not have anywhere.

No, I looked, and there are no manufacturer or brand markings at all. Interesting that yours don't have any either. Chris, you seem somewhat familiar with AMCO; do you know if they marked their products?