IGNORED

original jute material

kats

The answer of a photo which I posted last is,the center tunnel jute pad.

This was a bonus from Mr.NISHI,I did not expected he present this for me.Now I do not plan to replace center tunnel jute pad,

so just keep this for someday.

Many of you made coments about dipping the jute into "something special liquid",I do not want to comence that procedure now.Because like many of you mentioned I do not want the jute to be sticky.

Mr.NISHI do not know what the liquid shoud be now,but when he find out about it,I will ask him to dip my jute maybe.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-1415079320571_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I want to know one thing,this side sill carpet I bought from Mr.NISHI together my all the interior carpets and jute pads.

My march 1970 240Z's side sills are black plastic made.

But I saw Mr.WATANABE's dec 1969 fairlady Z432 got carpets

for its side sill.

Fairlady Zs got carpets for their side sills?

How about U.S. and CANADA Zs?Should they get carpets?

Or like mine,plastic is original?

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-14150793205871_thumb.jpg

Hi Kats,

Well, as far as I know ( mainly about the Japanese market and UK market cars ) there were the following differences:

Fairlady Z had plastic ( 'Leather' grain print ) side side trims - along with rubber mats ( no carpet ).

Fairlady Z-L had carpet side sill trims - along with full carpets.

Fairlady 240Z and Fairlady 240Z-L ( from late 1971 ) followed the same pattern.

HOWEVER, I can see that some customers could specify plastic side sill trims and rubber mats as an option on even the Fairlady Z-L. You could consider this a 'downgrade' option, but I should imagine it was necessary for practical reasons in some areas with a lot of rain / mud?

For the UK market ( according to the Parts List books ) I can see that the rubber side sill trim was also specified on some cars as an option.

I have seen SOME of the UK market cars with rubber side sill trims and carpet on the floors / deck area. Confusing isn't it?

I have one NOS rubber side sill trim in my stock of spare parts, but it is for an LHD car - so there must have been some LHD cars that had these fitted as standard equipment.

As you know, I don't know too much about the USA market cars -so somebody else needs to give you some help on that side of things.

Best regards,

Alan T.

PS

Fairlady Z432 followed most trim spec from Fairlady Z-L. ( that's why Watanabe san's 432 has carpet side sill trims ).

Fairlady Z432-R followed most trim spec from Fairlady Z.

So 432 would have carpet side sill trims and 432-R would have plastic side sill trims.

Unless the owners wanted to specify the opposite option.

Alan T.

Kats, Alan,

I have "rubber" side sill trim and rear deck mat remaining from original. Leather texture. The rubber floor mats, if original, were replaced with carpeting long ago. I have never seen rubber floor mats, but I understand the driver mat had the Datsun logo pressed into the surface texture.

Nice tunnel insulation, kats. I plan to cut new material from that pattern. My old material is indeed "soaked" in a tacky, sticky substance.

Originally posted by HS30-H

I have seen SOME of the UK market cars with rubber side sill trims and carpet on the floors / deck area. Confusing isn't it?

Alan T.

26thZ,

So, as I suspected might be true, many of the early Export cars had the rubber side sill trim - but carpets on the floor and rear deck area.

I wonder whether this is the spec that Kats needs to replicate?

If you have not seen the Japanese home market rubber floor mats and rear deck, then I will lay mine out and photograph them for you. These ones did NOT have the Z logo on them. They are from a base-spec Fairlady Z, and are destined to be used in my 432-R replica project car.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Hi Kats,

I have a Z that could be the twin sister to yours. It is HLS30-05341, blt 6/70. It is blue with the blue interior. The side sills are covered in a thick black vinyl material. US spec cars did not have carpet in that area.

I also have an early 71, HLS30-18420, which has the same material on the side sills.

Actually every US Spec 240Z I have seen, has had this same vinyl material on the side sills. The floors and the rear deck rear had carpets. Rubber front floor mats were available as a "Dealer Option". I believe they were actually manufactured or sold by a company called ADCO. They had a few optional accessories for the 240Z back then.

26th Z, do you know of a US source for the jute material?

Marty

Alan and 26th-Z,

As I see the Nov 1969 service manual(HLS30) and the May 1970 service bulletin(HLS30) and Oct 22nd 1969 press kit,I can see these,

#1 May 1970 service bulletin, there is a rubber mat with datsun logo on the drivers front floor,I think this is almost same as japanese rubber mat,the difference is only with logo or without logo.

#2 Nov 1969 service manual,there is a rubber mat on the rear deck,also this is formed leather touch surface.

#3 but in the manual,the rear deck mat looks different in another page.This mat is very very similar the one is still available in japan,light grey and very short cut pile surface not rubber mat but fabric surface mat.The first service bulletin (Nov1969?)in japan shows this light grey mat.

#4 Oct 22nd 1969 press kit,the rear deck mat seems to me made of rubber,the reason is, it is reflecting camera's flash very well,looks rubber.But I am not 100% for sure.

#5 I saw a Nov 1969 HLS30(forgot chassis number, 0048X? anyway late 400s)in japan 2years ago,that has rubber mats for rear floor,behind seats(tool lid area)

Onething we have to mind,factory manuals is not always true.

HLS30's manual sometimes show the japanese Z's photo,viceversa.

My guessing,1969 HLS30 has rubber mats for floor front and rear,

for the reardeck,rubber mat or light grey mat I do not know.

I put a photo of light grey mat which I used to have,I am wondering this is the one which I saw in the service manuals.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-14150793206174_thumb.jpg