IGNORED

original jute material

kats

I agree - well done Kats!

Articles like this are just what this site does best. You can get questions, personal experiences, debate, pictures, and finally a conclusion - all in one thread. Once it goes into the archives its a valuable reference for everybody.

Its also great to see a thread tied up with a positive result. Excellent work.

When I bought my project car ( a Fairlady Z-L produced in the second half of 1970, and very similar to Mr Yamada's car that Kats mentioned ) it was incomplete and many parts were missing. I won't be restoring it to its original specification - as its going to be a 432-R replica - but knowing what it WOULD have been like is a great help.

Kats, I have a question in relation to Mr Nishi's thoughts that the original Jute might have been coated / painted / sprayed / dipped in some kind of fluid anti-rust treatment. From the scraps of remaining Jute on my project car, and the original Jute on my ZG, I can see that it is indeed coated in a dark and sticky fluid. This appears to have been applied at the Factory - and it is not caused by a leak!

So are you going to attempt to replicate any of this treatment to your Jute pads? Maybe its best not to, as long as they are not going to get wet and you are going to make sure that all is well under your carpets. In my opinion, the coating is rather sticky and a little bit messy.

All the best,

Alan T.

• Like 1

Hi Kats and all.

I have saved away your photos for when one day hopefully my car gets to that stage. In regards to the coating, I noticed that too, and it seemed to be almost as if it was dipped in a mixture or left over underseal and turps (or something similar) You could have a play round, but do you really want to make something so nice as your new jute all sticky and discoloured?

Its amazing the attention to detail on your car Kats, I love it.

Cheers Chris

Hi all

On both my z's I noticed this residue on the jute.

On mine it only seems to be on the central tunnel jute and the pieces behind the seats. The other pieces of jute ( original as far as I can see) are just dirty/discoloured with no residue. I always thought the residue might have been some kind of contact adhesive to stick the jute in areas where it might fall off if not held in place by something. ( like the tramsmission tunnnel and the areas behind the seats)

Andrew

I only have the original jute on the tunnel. It was glued to the tunnel and then sprayed with contact adheasive for the vinyl covering. Thus the sticky nature? However, my jute is very dark brown and the solution mentioned could very well be the explanation of color. Too bad we can't all get together and compare!

Many, many thanks kats. I saved all your photographs for reference. I believe you have researched the "correct" jute and carpet. I will make a point of looking at the early cars I have access to and reply to this post with my findings.