IGNORED

Best sounding 240/280 exhaust

inline6

The best sounding exhausts on Z's is a 6-2-1 header, with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipe and that's it.....LOL

Course, it isn't street legal, and now it's not legal in racing (gotta keep the neighbors happy) but what a sound at 6K-7K....... especially under the cross-over bridge..... even my tired old fat 280 sounded faster than it really was, even with a helmet and balaclava on.....:devious: :cross-eye

Hey Inline6,

You asked this a few posts back, and I'm finally answering. The pipes on my dual exhaust are 1 3/4". Plenty big when going dual....and I get NO evil resonation at high RPMs!! (I was worried about that!!)

Also, my pipes come out side-by-side at the stock exit point. Had to have the hole custom cut to accomodate.

Zedguy

Thanks all, so far... I'm glad I'm getting all of these responses. I floated this topic by once before as a reply to a post and it didn't resonate LOL

I find it interesting that we Z car owners seem to fall into two groups with these very different exhaust systems. Wouldn't it be really cool to have recordings of both types of systems on the web for us all to listen too?

I think the article on by http://www.sportzmagazine.com with the supplemental downloads on http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag are helpful to people who are about to spend big $ on an exhaust. I wonder how many of us have taken the plunge and not been happy with the results like blitzkraig and myself?

I haven't been able to listen to yours yet Gav. Downloading the Divx deal hasn't worked and haven't timed it right on the GeoCities page.

I'd like to see a page that has multiple downloads of different systems for our Z's. Maybe that would be of help to other Z owners looking to replace their exhausts. I'm going to put this project on the "to do" list for my web page, but at the present rate, it is going to be 2008 before it gets done.

inline6

yes inline6 i have also noticed that people have split into two main groups here, both sounding great i bet :classic:

i havent yet got Gavs to work either, would really love to hear i tho!

mellow , the smaller plumbing will help with the back pressure but what is the most important is the scavinging, spelled wrong, do you know what that is ?

no i have no idea what scavinging is....

can anyone help me out there?

thanks again, Cris:dead:

ive got a set of pacemaker exctractors with a 2 1/2 inch straight through exhaust, one resonator and one straight through muffler. its as loud as hell and drones like crazy at 2000RPM but you get used to it. i dragged an LS1 comodorre ute who swore blind i had a V8 under the bonnet, its got a nice rumble to it at idle

Well you are up to 3 litre Brett and carbed engines sound that much angrier :).

To those who have had trouble with my video I apologise I didn't realise it would be so sort after. I'm not sure where I can upload it at the moment but I'll try think of something.

Actually I may have a spot come to think of it :)

Post soon if I have the results I'm after.

Originally posted by Zvoiture

A straight 6 makes the most heavenly music in the world. There is really nothing that compares. Very loud, yes. But not at all ricer-loud or junk-yard-dog loud. A very...um....polished loud. European loud. Heavenly loud. My ears ring after driving an hour loud. The neighbors smile loud (and I live in a community of rich old-farts with Mercedes'). Every pedestrian on the block turns their head loud. Every ricer I pass gives me the thumbs up loud. People gathered around the grid at autocross cover their ears loud. Wonderful loud.

steve77

Fantastic description.LOL Although I do have to disagree with your V8 comment:cheeky:

Here's a pic of my system.

post-3235-14150792946097_thumb.jpg