IGNORED

Recent 240KGT Purchase, Help.

kyteler

Wow, a 2000-GTX ! I would really like the steering wheel off of that, but finders keepers I guess :tapemouth

Um, just seeing from your avatar picture, you have GL tail lights, not GT... not that it matters mechanically as I think the GT was simply higher spec in air con and a tape deck etc... but your car might be a GL not a GT.

Japanese C110's didn't have Nissan badges on the rear at all, simply "Skyline" and "GT"... see attached

post-1243-14150792901539_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm not too worried about getting the wheel to be honest, so if you want me to find out how much the wrecker guy wants for it, I can if you like then I'll figure out how to get it sent over, just so you know though, the windscreen has been missing off of the GT-X so the wheel and most of the interior is faded and split.

I don't think I do have the tray but the one in the wreckers does, yeah, mine is a GL, but I'm not too worried about that. :classic: I only wish it had the tail light section that would have been good to take a look at. Do you know whether the 2000GT-X has the same as a GTR or a GL?

No, I think the only one to have the reverse lamps centred and the park lamps on the outer was the GTR, I've got images/scans of a German 240KGT sales brochure that I'm translating using babelfish, being they're images though it means I have to type it all out, there's about 6 pages (incl. of pictures) all up but I should be done soon, I do it when I'm bored, but with my new car, I probably won't be too bored anymore. :D

I'm going to take another good look through the car again on Thursday so I'll let you know what I find.

Also, if you want the Sales Brochure after I've converted It, I'll send it to you, I'm going to put the translated text over where the German was/is, but there are a few words that dont get translated and I've tried to make it as english as possible but if it doesn't make sense in places you can usually still get the general jist of what they're trying to say.

Talking about this one? I'd love the translation once you get it done - might be worthwhile posting it here for others too?

The European car in the brochure also has a funny looking steering wheel, but yeah you're right about the tail lights. Strange though... as I could have sworn the GT had the same as the GT-R...

How very odd...

post-1243-14150792901719_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's the one, I think you'll find the strange looking steering wheel is actually the one that belongs to the 4door, well, that's the impression I got at least.

I'll post the images when I'm finished in my member gallery thing then, where the pictures of my car are, that should work out well for everyone involved. ;)

Maybe you've seen a GT with a GTR tail-light section, if so, you should go chase it up, would be an excellent find.

Michael and Lachlan,

I'm following your discussions with great interest. Since we never got these cars in the U.S. , It's all new information. These cars were L-6 powered classic Datsuns and I consider them "On Topic".

Michael, I hope your budget can include the Solexs and the 5 speed swap! What a sweetie you'll have after those modifications! Take lots of photos.

Nice pics you got there, esp the C110, look good don't they? Had a couple myself but alas, lack of time and money prevailed:(

You mentioned fitting a DR30 5 speed, keep an eye out on g'box length, I believe they are shorter than a C110 box (bear in mind a C110 auto and manual are the same length, straight swap). And fit a 2.8 with flat top pistons or use the the 2.4 con-rods to increase comp ratio, 30/70 cam with the triple carbs, believe me it will fly. Next time you find yourself checking out an R30 Skyline, take the Elec dizzy & coil, this will further improve your engine.

Very cheap mods will make your C110 a very quick car, but when fitting the triples make sure the you've got good comp ratio as mentioned and the 2.8 engine, when all bolted up and taken out for the drive, you will notice the change, big time!

Interesting auto shifter you have there, in Oz the shifters were black plastic T auto, not that sporty look you have, looks great! The interior is good as well, damn I wish I could get a nice coupe.

As for the tail lights, I may have mentioned to Alfadog or someone a while back on how to get a GTR look, I've done it with my earlier coupe (no pics), but you need to get your hands on another set of tail lights to do it. It involves a) removing the reverse/brake light unit and separating the two from one another (pretty easy) B) using the spare tail lights remove them from its body and filing away some notches etc to enable it to fit the old reverse light assembly. (Keep an eye out for the sealant in there, its very well preserved so take your time removing it, I done it with a flat screwdriver.) c) when re-assembling the new reverse lamp unit use a quality sealant also, not some glue, but a proper one like say windscreen sealant or something. Now what you have is effectively 4 red tail lights but the centre two are working as reverse lights, this is fixed by routing the wires from the centre two to the existing tail light wiring, and fitting a small clear lense lamp somewhere as a reverse light. I mounted mine within the "beaver" panel, cut a small hole and mounted the lense flush with the panel so it wouldn't protrude and look crap. Just route the reverse wires to this lamp and away you go.

Tedious, but to get that look with limited options, it worked fine and looked good, esp at night with the 4 tail lights on.

I've also seen a 2000GT-X here in Oz a few years back at the wreckers, but didn't think at the time to check it out (stupid).

Anyway, good luck with your car, it's in great condition.

You got me jealous!

Cheers..

Yeah the guy who had the car before me is a Datsun enthusiast has done all the working and checking out, apparently the box is the right one for a straight swap, the trans X-member is a bolt up job and the driveshaft wont need to be lengthened or shortened so, once the trans is in pedal box and clutch etc will just have to be sorted and he's got all those bits, he was going to make it a beast but the same thing as happened to you, happened to him, lack of time and money.

That and he's got a billion projects going at once it seems, there's the shell of a Datsun 1600 in his garage as well which he's got twin solex sidedrafts for and a partially re-assembled R32 GTS-t that belongs to his son, he needed the room in his garage and the money for house renovations or some such thing.

I didn't mind I got a wicked car out of the deal, oh, and so you know, $1500NZD is roughly $860USD and $1300AUD so I think I got a good deal, hell, even if i didn't I'm happy :D It's old style, RWD, 2door and has a straight 6, all the necessities for a REAL sports car, and once it's converted to manual, there'll be no denying it's prowess.

Once I've got it all ready I might roll on up to one of my local car yards, the guy who owns it has a mint condition 240Z would be good to have a picture of them side by side, if only I had some polished watanabe's then it would be complete.

I'm not too keen on cutting the rear guards apparently they're a dime a dozen in japan now being that everyone has cut theirs to make GTR reps, so it may be beneficial to leave it as is and just get some flares for the front.

Oh JMT240KGTR, is it any particular model of R30 that the electronic dizzy will fit from?

And and for everyone to stare at I've attached a picture of the Triple Solex's. MMMMMmmmmmmm, Triple.

post-4758-1415079290197_thumb.jpg

I've actually got a Mallory Voltmaster coil sitting here that I got for another car in the hope of getting an electronic dizzy for, which didn't happen, would it be possible to use the mallory instead of having to grab the coil as well from the wrecker (the wrecker is reknowned for being a rip off) or is the module attached to the coil or the dizzy itself?