IGNORED

Emblem Missing ?

SledZ

Originally posted by Z Kid

My 240z Had the full automatic emblem on the left side of the hatch.

What year 240Z do you have? When was mfg date?

Maybe the emblem was available in OZ, but it isn't listed in the Nissan Microfiche for the HLS30 North American models of 240Z from 1970 through 8/73 production after which was when we got the 260Z's.

Mine was june/july 73, so towards the end, however the badge was different to the one that came off the 260, it was (i think) fatter, but I cant find it at the moment, My car has had so many owners and prangs thought, I couldn't guarantee it wasn't put there by some clown trying to hide rust.

Hi Guys:

I've never seen any emblems on the left hand side of the North American spec. 240-Z's. No A/T badging either. Nor have I seen any accessory items that would require holes that close to the end of the deck lid.

FWIW,

Carl

My July 1973 240Z (in Australia) also has the holes for the automatic badge, as several others have mentioned. It appears that it was a feature for Aussie 240zs from around 1973, but not in the USA ...

I have seen the NissanMatic Badge on that side also.

On both 240z's and 260z's, from the sounds of it this was an australian thing possibly a dealer thing also.

Hmmm very interesting.

Looks to me that the Aussies have seen it but the Yanks haven't.

Any europeans know of this badge?:ermm:

Originally posted by SledZ

Darn, you wouldnt think they would drill two holes in your car to put there name tag on it would ya!?

my wife's '77 that she drove in high school was a factory original 5 speed, and she did have that 5 speed logo on the left side of the hatch.

on trucks, it used to be even worse. dealers used to engrave the dealer name AND location on the rear bumpers. thankfully, I haven't seen that done in awhile.

my father-in-law once walked away from a new car purchase because the dealer INSISTED that a dealer tag was going to have to be added (drilled, not taped) to the car....stupid salesman cost himself a sale....

There were lots of emblems that were fitted on the left hand side of the hatch - but from what people have been saying in the above posts, it looks like the USA / North American market cars were not usually fitted with them.

However, if an original "HLS30" USA / North American market car turned up with one on it I would not be surprised. I've been told some very interesting ( and sometimes very funny ) stories about production hiccups and parts supply problems by an old friend who used to work in the Factory at the time. Very very occasionally the 'wrong' part would be fitted to a car ( not matching its standard spec ) and the quality control guys would not pick it up, or be forced to get around the problem in some other way. Seeing as just about all other markets from the USA / North American market had options / specs that included the attachment of the left hand side hatch emblems, it would not be all that surprising that one of the hatches with the pre-drilled holes were to be attached ( by accident? ).

Its pure speculation that this might be the reason for the holes in SledZ's hatch - but as emblems DID exist in other markets, there's always a possibility that one might have have been put on at the Factory or by a previous owner.

Here's a scan of the UK market S30-series parts list. It shows the "Full Automatic" script tailgate / hatch emblem, and gives the part no. as 90809-E7925, fitted from 02-70 up and superseded 76807-E4600:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792839996_thumb.jpg