IGNORED

Taillight Gasket Exhaust Leak?

chaseincats

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

@chaseincatsCan you explain why you did not go wit the seal and peal adhesive? Just curious. If it did not work you could easily remove it.

just curious at this point.

I couldn't find it in any store around here and the people I spoke with said it wouldn't bond as well to the painted metal surface since it's meant more as something you place on top of a leak rather than this application which is effectively using it as a glue between the housing, rubber gasket, and metal body.

14 hours ago, chaseincats said:

the people I spoke with said it wouldn't bond as well to the painted metal surface since it's meant more as something you place on top of a leak rather than this application which is effectively using it as a glue

Funny... For the exact reasons you mentioned is why I thought the Seall-n-peel was a better option.

I wanted something that would NOT bond (was NOT a glue), and I wanted something that took up volume instead of adhering two items together. My thoughts are if the foam alone is not sealing, it's because the foam is not thick enough, not compliant enough, or has taken a set and isn't spongy enough anymore.

You don't need the foam to stick, you just need it to take up the gaps. And if the foam alone won't fill the gaps, then you need something with volume, not stickiness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Funny... For the exact reasons you mentioned is why I thought the Seall-n-peel was a better option.

I wanted something that would NOT bond (was NOT a glue), and I wanted something that took up volume instead of adhering two items together. My thoughts are if the foam alone is not sealing, it's because the foam is not thick enough, not compliant enough, or has taken a set and isn't spongy enough anymore.

You don't need the foam to stick, you just need it to take up the gaps. And if the foam alone won't fill the gaps, then you need something with volume, not stickiness.

that's actually a VERY good point and I didn't think about it that way - which is now frustrating me.  I was able to pop the taillights off and like @Captain Obvious was saying, it's about volume not glue - some spots were solid but others had an air gap in there, not keeping it air tight.  Looks like im going on the hunt for seal 'n peel which is what I should have done to begin with but I was impatient lol

Edited by chaseincats

1 hour ago, chaseincats said:

that's actually a VERY good point and I didn't think about it that way - which is now frustrating me.  I was able to pop the taillights off and like @Captain Obvious was saying, it's about volume not glue - some spots were solid but others had an air gap in there, not keeping it air tight.  Looks like im going on the hunt for seal 'n peel which is what I should have done to begin with but I was impatient lol

Lowes & Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/s/self adhesive weather strip?NCNI-5 https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=adhesive+foam+weatherstripping+for+doors

Craft foam sheets from the local arts and crafts store? That's what I did on my family truckster when the taillights started leaking on that one. Leave the original gasket in place and augment with a thin layer of auxillary foam. And maybe some seal-n-peel as well?

Something like this:
P1190245.JPG

P1190248.JPG

doesn't have to be neat... Just enough that it won't show from the outside:
P1170040.JPG

• Agree 1
  • Wow 1

After a fun night with the gasket scraper, the yellow adhesive is now off the taillight housings and I am right back to where I started before my impatient/hasty decision.

Seal 'n peel is arriving on Wednesday, that is all.

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Cool. Hope it takes care of the leaks! 

Have you got other areas you think are leaking as well, or is the taillight the last one?

The taillight was the only area in the back that had leaks except for one strange spot - the 2 holes in the gas flap.  I didn't know those had access to the body but I guess they do?  The two spots are usually plugged with rubber bumpers for the gas flap to close on if memory serves.