IGNORED

Taillight Gasket Exhaust Leak?

chaseincats

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I used "Seal and Peel" which is a clear silicone that is designed to be an easily removable temporary seal. I haven't had the pleasure of trying to pull the taillights out since (so I don't know how bad it would be), but I've done the same on other cars and it was fine. They came off without a fight. 

I would post up some pics o what I did, but I'm getting the same server error as other people.

But the tube looks like this:
snp_solvent_6x6.jpg

Sounds good, I'll grab some off Amazon

Well thins might explain why I still have exhaust gasses in my cabin even after replacing bother seals. I think using silicone is a good idea and I don’t care what the next owner has to do since I plan on never removing them again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Well thins might explain why I still have exhaust gasses in my cabin even after replacing bother seals. I think using silicone is a good idea and I don’t care what the next owner has to do since I plan on never removing them again. emoji23.png

18 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

3M trim adhesive *should* come off the body in the future.  It's sticky and gooey, but it does come off.  Besides, who cares about the next guy?  🙂 Seriously though, I'd rather have a sealed panel than worry about what might happen to somebody else in the future if they try to remove the lights.

That "next" person to have to deal with it could be you, whether it is the car you have today or another one down the road.  It's always nice to think of the future when doing things.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:20 PM, chaseincats said:

Would windshield sealer work do you all think?

I'm not sure I would use that. The intent of the seal-n-peel is that it designed to take up volume, but NOT stick. It's intended to peel off (easily without damage) at the end of the heating/cooling season. 

8 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Might be able to use the gooey door plastic `3m 08578` that is used to get the plastic liners behind the door-cards to stick...

I should do this on my car, i was feeling loopy the other night driving around.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTQ67X9

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaseincats said:

I ended up going with the yellow trim adhesive since that binds to plastic, rubber, and metal since we're gluing the plastic housing to the rubber gasket and the rubber gasket to the vehicle's metal body.

Did you re-smoke it yet?  Let us know how it works out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Did you re-smoke it yet?  Let us know how it works out.

The adhesive is drying on the housing to gasket side since last night.  I’ll put the adhesive on the gasket to car side tonight or tomorrow and report back