IGNORED

71 Vapor Tank Hoses

Richie G

FWIW I ordered one of these kits from this seller in 2021 (they were cheaper then, like everything else).  So far I've installed the rear hoses, had the tank reconditioned, replaced the filler neck, the filler flap, tank strap isolators, new sending unit with new o-ring and lock ring, new electronic fuel pump, and probably a few other odds and ends in that space.  I'll be installing the engine bay portion of this kit when I put the engine/tranny back in the car (hopefully this year).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304629344865?hash=item46ed52ea61:g:OasAAOSwl85hQSig&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Djh0wu66%2B0K8CRP7zNqsCuSo6SZkzi655mh8qwSKOQoIONK8PjgpmqBF%2FpTwtSb2cUwJ9CZ9CjcrOGifB0iR%2FrIj2yH67YFvIodFw%2BQ55EqJHeXJzlHNxKrmMG58xvrn6wCidWBg7SMTyGpKjT6ljXnl4MJdo5w2PwbtswFVHxBNvXLz7JW74Rp26sLzDZBNeg0G5ZblmEdYgcMWbqpM5SM2POxuG%2BvfFNRaqj0rMdbJ4XWVMuwTvYDjX55qfUKehz0yo%2BV%2FJYg3TUj%2FY36bTxwKEcgKolrNmXLZZbkA65h|tkp%3ABk9SR6anubvQYQ

Tex I saw that kit last year and initially was like whoa thats expensive for rubber hoses lol plus my ambitions to try and make some things more correct wouldn't let me use those clamps.  I actually ordered the engine bay only kit initially from him though and when it arrived it had super bright white lettering all down the sides of the hose.  It didn't look right to me so I returned it.  Now that I sourced from JBUGS the tank side and the engine bay hoses I got from Newco i've been sitting on the price isn't so off.  I had contacted him a few days ago to try and just get the bent hose and he refused to break up a set claiming he works too hard on these.  I said doing what, cutting the straight pieces and buying those off the shelf clamps?  If he focused on that bent hose or two for a reasonable price he'd sell way more I would think. 

Hi Richie,

Good fuel tank and engine bay hose supply source reference from texasz.

Engine Bay Fuel Lines:

From w3wilkes in 2017:  I just did all my fuel lines this year with Gates E85 rated hose.

1/4" fuel rail to carbs - maybe 2 1/2 feet

5/16" supply side to fuel rail & tank to steel line - about 6 feet

3/16" return line from rail to steel line & steel line to tank - about 5 feet.  These all seemed to fit perfectly.

Note: The 3/16” and 5/16” tank to steel line hoses listed by w3wilkes are already included in your metric-sized JBugs “shopping list”.  Since the minimum purchase is 10 feet, you will have plenty for the engine bay.

You can purchase 1/4” or 6mm cloth wrapped fuel line on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192199329085?hash=item2cbff9053d:g:i4UAAOSwcgNZKeUY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsBAXKMKvoUlGz0Yf%2BSGYq1PML9tMxpmL%2B8LpNFHrvaRIJmgfLtH5SgTKv%2BFmVmNATItn8YxtYgMfAxrOGrVSUlqtYBCyYTVCW9UmXZHRBt8Vg%2BTyiUjStYub8iSxa6pAg8g4lRI2aIwBbRiXZ0W2ZWJAPO%2FFxkWNQWVDnNrIuAoRWlCgoBnlR54tz3VjQ0T24Ow4EIddBFX3meil4evwEsCkhGHEsf%2FbZf%2BcMW%2FXnF7N%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8TW4cjQYQ

Air Bubbles:

My mistake, never thought about air bubbles from the tank/supply side.  If you are seeing air bubbles coming out the bottom of the filter while the engine is running, you are taking the right steps starting from the fuel source (tank) by replacing the tank hoses and working forward to the engine.

When the tank removed is removed, see if you can get a vacuum pressure reading from the fuel hard line in the rear of the car to the hard line output in the engine bay.  It would be a good way to test the spliced connection and see if there is a small hole in the hard line you cannot see.

Harbor Freight sells a simple, Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit for $25.  You can find similar kits on eBay.  It never worked for me as a brake bleeder, but the vacuum pump is useful.  Alternatively, maybe you can borrow one from a friend.

1. Wear eye protection.
  2. Blow out the hard line so the vacuum does not intake fuel or dirt.
  3. Plug the rear section (phillips screwdriver in old rubber input hose) and put a gauged vacuum pump on the rubber hose going into the fuel filter input.
  4. Pump up the vacuum and see if it holds.  Not sure how much pressure you should apply, maybe 10 or 20 psi and let it sit for a while.  Would assume you would see a pressure change fairly quickly.
  5. If it leaks, you have identified the leak is between the two ends.
  6. It could be a leak at the splice or in some other location in the line.  I read that the steel lines pit over time and leak.  I believe the replacements are stainless steel.
  7. Check your build date to purchase the correct line.

If the hard line tests okay, you could place a heat wrap around the short rubber hose section and leave it be.  Use metal or regular zip ties to hold in place.  I have heat wrap on my speedometer cable so it does not melt from the headers.

I missed a question from your initial post:

Your question: Adapters anywhere other than the one on the replacement fuel filler neck in light blue?

Answer: No additional adapters that I can remember.  The referenced “light blue” adapter in my Z used to connect a vent hose to the fuel filler was made of thin, crushable plastic (junk).  I replaced it with a hardware store hose connector.  I just carried the fuel filler neck into the store and tested connectors until something fit well.  You can also purchase a connector from ZCarDepot for $12.  If I remember correctly, the connection is only press fit.  No need for a hose clamp.

Hope your project goes well.

Nate

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 10:51 AM, Richie G said:

Tex I saw that kit last year and initially was like whoa thats expensive for rubber hoses lol plus my ambitions to try and make some things more correct wouldn't let me use those clamps.  I actually ordered the engine bay only kit initially from him though and when it arrived it had super bright white lettering all down the sides of the hose.  It didn't look right to me so I returned it.  Now that I sourced from JBUGS the tank side and the engine bay hoses I got from Newco i've been sitting on the price isn't so off.  I had contacted him a few days ago to try and just get the bent hose and he refused to break up a set claiming he works too hard on these.  I said doing what, cutting the straight pieces and buying those off the shelf clamps?  If he focused on that bent hose or two for a reasonable price he'd sell way more I would think. 

I too thought it was on the expensive side though figured I was paying for the effort someone else put into forming the bends that I would now not have to deal with.  In the end I decided it was worth it for me at that time.  Agree about the Continental labeling on the hoses, that was a disappointment as it was nowhere in the pix nor the description.  As far as the clamps, I simply reused my old ones everywhere I could, I think I ended up using 2-3 of the new ones and they are in locations where nobody will see them fortunately.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

How accurate were woodworkerb hose lengths that he stated in his write up?  I found a VW place up here in Canada that has all the same hoses I need and sells them by the foot…cheaper and no waste!

Good timing on this question as I was just going to update the group on my progress.  I havent actually put any of the hoses in yet as I got distracted once I saw the condition of the old sound deadening and wheel well.  I figured that all needed to be dealt with first so I stripped the entire back of the car and went to town.  Once I got it all up I found that most of it was just surface rust from trapped moisture.  The wheel well had some small pitted spots and a few poke through but nothing big enough to get a finger through.  Everything was sound so I got some POR 15 patch and paint and ground it all down, prepped it, filled it, POR painted it, sanded it and finally finished it with one stage spray cans since I don't have a sprayer or air supply or anything resembling professional gear.

Before I get to before and after pictures, back to the hoses.  I found that some of the supplied information just wasn't working for me so I sourced a few different items to better fit what I needed.  I had started by looking for things pre-shaped for some of the funky bends before knowing the spring door trick (which is awesome).  So I had already purchased from Z Car Depot the bent hose for the front vent.  Since I had that in hand the rest of the shopping list diverted a bit from recommended.  The biggest issue I had was that the 17 MM recommendation for the filler vent just would not fit.  I had to get a 19 MM hose which now fits perfectly.

So in summary here is my shopping list and what I had purchased from a length perspective, some out of need, some out of direct measurement.  I also had a need for all new clamps as the PO had a hornets nest of crap everywhere.  Hope this helps people starting from scratch.

image.png

Now to the fun stuff, some pics!.

Before

20221121_112444.jpg20221121_112428.jpg

Midway

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Done

20230519_080739.jpg20230519_080716.jpg20230519_080801.jpg20230519_080756.jpg

Next up the Kilmat I chose and then I'll start dealing with putting it back together and the tank.  Will update group when I do.

Edited by Richie G
  • Like 3

Ok, now I’m completely mixed up…in your chart you have the hose description and the length and in another column you have the quantity?  I’m just looking to get everything together, then drop the tank, replace then re-install…..hopefully!  Hahahaha.   By the way….really nice job finishing the spare tire tub!👍

Thanks, it took a while but worth it.  So for my chart I grouped hoses of the same ID size since most places you buy a hose its precut to a certain length or you can buy it by the ft.  The left side of the chart is all about the hose you need to buy, the right side is about new 2 wire clamps (if you need them).  Here's an example, if you buy qty 1 jbugs N203761 at 3 ft length it will cover the 4 places on your car on the left of it in the chart (tank supply to hard line, hard line to filter, out of filter to mechanical pump, out of pump to rail).  All of those hoses are the same ID from tank to rail.  if you buy qty 1 that ebay item (only sells 5 ft) then you can replace the 2 hoses from rail to carb.  Thats 6 hose sections in the car overall for the 2 lengths/parts of hose listed.  Then on the right I matched the OD for those two hose types and they all will fit in the z car depot part 200-476 clamp.  Thats why on the right they are grouped like that qty 12 (6 hose sections x 2 clamps).

Hopefully that makes sense now.  Of course this assumes you wanted to replace all fuel / vapor hoses tank, engine, etc like I need to.