IGNORED

Hoarding Z Parts

inline6

I too collected many spare parts over the years...mostly from junkyards and part outs...not sure hoarding is the right word...but I would always buy good parts at a good price...especially parts that were rare/harder to get...even if I didn't need them at the moment... I kept them as spares...but my Z is mostly restored now and I've decided it's time to let go of these parts...hopefully to an owner who needs them to improve their own Z...I've mostly been listing them on craigslist and surprisingly I've had a lot of responses from Z owners who are not in my local area...so clearly many have figured out how to search for "non local" Z parts on craigslist...I do think that the overall exposure (ie, number of potential buyers) is greater on eBay, but to me Craigslist just seems so much easier to list items on....I may resort to listing parts on eBay eventually If they don't sell on CL.  My parts are currently listed under Skagit, WA on CL if you'd like to take a look...I'm going through boxes and listing more stuff regularly.

• Like 2

I have two replacement fenders, still in their Nissan wrappers that I would love to sell. Bought them for my car several years ago in case the original fenders were too far gone, but they ended up being usable. So now the replacements are just taking up room in my garage loft.

Biggest problem I am having is in trying to come up with a realistic price for them as I have never seen anything like them for sale. Also have a spare hatch that I would like to pass along to someone who could use it.

As my car moves along towards completion I am sure there will be other parts that I might want to sell.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MrScott said:

two replacement fenders, still in their Nissan wrappers

5 hours ago, MrScott said:

trying to come up with a realistic price for them

If i had some perfect, undented, ORIGINAL nissan fenders.. wow.. i mean i have sold a very nice aftermarket set (Black dragon copy's) for around 1400 dollar/euro and you could get twice that money for them..

I would like to see some original wrapped fenders from Nissan!

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

If i had some perfect, undented, ORIGINAL nissan fenders.. wow.. i mean i have sold a very nice aftermarket set (Black dragon copy's) for around 1400 dollar/euro and you could get twice that money for them..

I would like to see some original wrapped fenders from Nissan!

Yeah - I would love to see pics of them too!  Regarding determining the value of parts, I'll offer up the following that may help:

On eBay, you can search and see completed listings.  And eBay keeps the completed listings on the site for quite some time, so there is a decent span of time to look through.  To get to them, click on advanced on the top right here (I highlighted yellow):

image.png

On the next screen, click the check box for "completed listings":

image.png

Then, if you haven't put in search words up above, do so and click the search button.  Scan the results for results that ended with items sold as opposed to just expired.  

No NOS 240z fenders there, but this can be helpful to get some transaction data points between buyers and sellers which are recent for many items.  eBay has hefty fees for the seller.  So, you may want to keep in mind that the final sale price is not what the seller gets.  I sold a NOS dashboard a year or so ago on eBay for around $1400 US.  The fees to eBay were something like 14%.  Ridiculous.  So, I avoid selling anything on eBay if I can. 

Also, shipping can be very expensive unless you get a discount through a business (like your workplace) that gets good rates.  That shipping cost, almost always paid for by the buyer, is included in the buyers valuation.  So, if something has a market value of $1000, but costs $500 to ship, then that buyer is not likely to spend more than $500 for the item regardless of the $1000 value.  A buyer that can pick it up without shipping, on the other hand will likely pay the $1000 value.

• Like 2

I too have quite a hoard, not a ton of NOS but lots of UOS. I usually clean up some parts and post on eBay. I also answer parts wanted ad's when I find them. 

Lately I have seen a larger amount of parts for sale on CL and FB. People seem to be cleaning out their hoards and unfinished projects for the new year. 

I started with adding to my own spare parts collection and just kept finding well priced, whole rusted out cars. I even tried selling them as a whole but everyone that came to look just lowballed me or passed outright. So I decided to part them out. Keeping the better of any given part and offering the extras up as mentioned before. I do have one good shell. I am saving another full set of parts for it's build. I am sure I have enough parts to put it together, but like many not enough room or time right now. 

I do have some rear taillight panels that are NOS (not Nissan, from an old body shop) One for a 74-78 2+0 and the other is 74-78 2+2 With storage dirt and some surface rust. 

IMG_5412.jpg

• Like 3