IGNORED

Turbo vs Stroker? whats better?

lordbiotree

I will not be racing, just running around the track for fun.They dont have any tracks here. I have to go way out of my way.

My goal is to reach 400hp+

I've been looking into the RB26dett.

The only problem is finding parts

I'm leaning more towards an 82ZXT. Working my way up to 400hp. By my research the L-series turbo it'll only make up to 400hp and not much more.

It seems more feasible to go with the L-6 turbo due to parts, cost.

I don't want to spend no more than 6500 on the engine.

If I go with the L-6 maybe I could drive it as a daily driver.

All work will be done mainly my me.

-Brandon

Well, one of the reasons I went with the stroker from Rebello Racing was because thier shop was down the street from where I worked. Plus they were willing to work with a rookie ( me, I asked a lot of questions) The 240Z's and 510's in SCCA that were coming in first at Infineon all had Rebello engines. That was enough for me.

This guy has 400hp from his zxt (he is also a member of this site I believe):

http://www.geocities.com/spized1969/

There is another guy on this site with a stroker with 235RWHP, I don't think you would get more than that out of it, at say 25% driveline loss that's over 300hp at the flywheel and it's hard to get more than 100hp / litre from a NA carbed engine.

The RB26DETT will supply 400RWHP relatively easy but there are cheaper options (but as you said the issue will be availability) such as RB20DET and RB25DET, they are much cheaper than the RB26 (the RB20 is $800USD over here compared to $3500 for the RB26) and this guy has 360RWHP from his (I think it just has a T04 air compressor / T03 turbine hybrid + new ECU):

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/charleswilliams/

As for the availability issue, someone has said the skylines containing these engines will be sold in the US soon.

I don't think I have seen anything solid about the R35 having an RB26. Most people are guessing it will have a V8 or turbocharged V6, maybe the v6 from the 350z/g35 since they seem to be throwing that into everything lately.

It may be some time yet before we hear anything legit about R35 GTRs being sold in the US, the only thing I have heard solidly confirmed about it is that there will be a LHD model.

My bother (who runs the local CarQuest) told me most of the parts would be special order with any RB-series engine.

Any body els have any success?

What's up with the 83zxt? I know it has hydraulic lifters. What makes them so bad?Whats positive?

81,82Zxt-Seems to be the best pick. What makes them so good?

Is there any gotchas? You know, things you don't know untill you've dont it.

Which ever I go with 81,82,83 I plan to buy it in perfectly running condition with a rebuild within past 5-years.

As for now RB just doesn't seem possible

I'll be doctmenting everything. With Pictures and vedo tape. When finished I'll give it all to Mike.

I'll post as much as I can up at geocities to stay forever.

and im a little biased but i would have to say that you would need to go turbo for the hp that you want and there is nothing wrng with the P90a head.

my 280ZXT has one with 177k on the clock running 15# of boost and is still going strong:)

and on the 7th day god created booooost!

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/tech_dept.htm

Click on Dyno charts

Sorry about the post from another site but..... I feel that some people need to see some real world HP numbers.

Please dont take this wrong :finger: I am looking to help give a clear view on real HP #'s and I am in no way saying 400HP cant be done. :stupid: It just takes money and lots of it at that.

Originally posted by thefastestz

Supercharge????

Is there a supercharger product that is L motor compatible?

I've been wondering about that for a long time.

Sprintex superchargers (now owned by advanced engine componants - AEC - http://www.advancedengine.com ) make a non roots type supercharger that was used on the supercharged mustang.

I've seen one of these superchargers in a datsun ute on an A or L series nissan 4 cylinder engine.

Your not blind ROFL I just wanted to show people some real HP numbers. I think its just way to easy for people to loose touch with the real world of HP.

I am sure that the people with the 240s and 280 thought they where way over what they got and walked away looking like :sleepy: But did knowing the real numbers change how much fun the car is or how fast it would go ?

More then anything I posted it for the point that you could get a Z running like a bat outa hell with alot less then 400HP and no need to hunt for import only parts.