IGNORED

smell of gas inside car

Wally

5 hours ago, Persimmon240 said:

Another possible solution is to purchase a cable luber that clamps on to cables at the end and allows you to use any aerosol type lubrication tin (and the included straw). They are around $10 - $15 and are commonly used on motorcycles (and bicycles). Google it. Just used a Motion Pro one to do the choke cables the other day. Slick and quick. Make a great stocking stuffer!

thats awesome! found a video showing how to use on youtube too. Spent hours yesterday taking cable out and manually lubing and putting it back in. it works better but not good enough. ordered this so fingers crossed. 

58 minutes ago, Wally said:

Spent hours yesterday taking cable out and manually lubing and putting it back in. it works better but not good enough. ordered this so fingers crossed. 

I replaced my old choke cable with .055" music wire.  It was a night and day difference in performance.  It also gave me a nice and straight cable to connect my nozzle levers to.

image.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Patcon said:

Is the gas smell still an issue?

just now took a short trip after fixing cable. there is still a smell...not nearly as bad. I am thinking the current smell is exhaust though as boot, console, etc are not installed. So it appears this may have fixed the gas smell.

• Like 1

i just got in new rubber shifter boot. good seal. inside while driving still have a smell of raw gasoline. Its enought to get to you after a couple minutes in the car. Have all the back panels off. went to put in some gas to look and smell. dont think its coming from there. Also, dont have any gas spots in my garage where i keep it.

I fixed the choke cable issue...i think at least. so its not that. Upon popping the hood i could smell faintly gasoline

only thing i was able to find was the set screws i used to cap off where the environmental control gizmos went were all loose. Could this be the culprit. 

IMG_4358.jpg

Edited by Wally

There's a vinyl rectangle on the inside bottom of the rear hatch above the locking mechanism. Mine needed resealing I thought but after the simple first fix I found the evap hoses that run behind the interior plasic cover where the brake lights are was were mine was stinking. There's a couple of round rubber plugs that dry rot and crack also. That stuff seems minimal but the way the air flows over the hatch and kind of rolls over and over behind the taillights above the rear bumper it gets sucked into the cab pretty good. I used duct tape and covered everything to see what helped and what didn't. Once I figured out where it was coming from I fixed things and moved to the next possible source. Eventually it  went away. During the mean time I kept the driver's side window down. :victorious:

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think the smell is coming off the carbs. But who knows, there's so many places it could be seeping out of. If it's a strong gas smell I say the carbs, nozzles not pulling up completely or the J hose that goes from float bowls to the carb may be bad. 

That sniffer will help. That'll be a good valentines gift to whatever her name is then. :ph34r: Thanks @DatsunZGuy.