IGNORED

Pertronix Ignition Install

rosaaen89

45 minutes ago, rosaaen89 said:

im guessing theres a decent chance it’s the pertronix itself? i took the cap and rotor off and it smells kind of burnt . or could the timing be off so bad it won’t start?

If it was running before the coil swap, the timing would still be good unless you messed with the distributor or managed to install the rotor 180 degrees out.

ok just making sure , yes it was running prior . i’m gonna take out the pertronix and test it but it looks like it might’ve got burnt up. So the two wires that were near the distributor that run back and the one connecting with the red and black i can get rid of them and set them aside as i shouldn’t need them for the pertronix correct ?

just an update on it. i returned the pertronix and got a new one installed it and it started up . It does run rough though so i’m guessing the timing is off now? Im pretty new to doing this now what’s an easy way for me to set the timing properly if i’ve never done it ?

Well, first you need a timing light. You may want to get a higher end one if you think you'll own old cars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVU8J8

Next you want to locate and clean your timing marks on the engine block.

image.jpeg

After that, rotate your engine to TDC and find the mark on the engine pulley. You will probably want to mark it with a dab of white paint. White nail polish is great for this.

Get a baseline timing. If it's not at 15 degrees, turn off the car and loosen the bolt on the distributor. It's on the bottom side of the mounting point. (See photo) Start the engine again.

image.png

To increase timing (more degrees), rotate counter clockwise (A - advance). To decrease timing, rotate clockwise (R - retard). Keep measuring your timing, shooting for about 15 degrees.

If you cannot rotate the distributor enough with that adjustment, you may need to loosen the other bolt. First, rotate the distributor so it's in the middle of the indicator.

image.png

Then loosen the other bolt on the distributor.

image.png

Rotate the distributor just like you did before with the engine running and checking timing. If you can't get it close to 15 degrees with both bolts loose, something isn't right.

After you get the timing set, make sure you secure both bolts so your timing doesn't change.

• Like 2

One of the easiest ways to get the engine to TDC is to use a remote starter like this: https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3630-Remote-Starter-Switch

You'll need to remove the valve cover so you can see the camshaft. You take the wire off the solenoid and clip the remote starter to it and clip the other wire on the remote starter to battery positive. Make sure the car is out of gear and use wheel chocks to keep the car from moving. Squeeze the trigger to turn the engine with the starter. You are looking to get the intake and exhaust lobes for cylinder 1 on the camshaft to be pointing up like "bunny ears". I marked the lobes you want to look at in the picture below. (Thanks, @240260280, for the photo.)

image.png

After you get the engine to TDC, remove the remote starting switch, put the wire back on the solenoid, and replace the valve cover. 

1 hour ago, rosaaen89 said:

might be a fairly dumb question but this is my first time doing the timing on anything. with a digital timing light do i need to mark it still or can i let the vehicle warm up and then use the light and just adjust it off the digital ?

What is "it"?