IGNORED

240Z restorations, what's right and what's not

SpeedRoo

On 11/29/2022 at 8:48 AM, SpeedRoo said:

Looks like it has the factory rubber bushings on the mustache bar.

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0167-scaled.j

Factory bushings likely yes, but not the early type with formed over flanges and straight cut serrated rubber washers. This one has the later wavy washers. Here is a good discussion on the subject. 

Edited by CanTechZ

34 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

All that effort to refinish the suspension pieces, re-plate the hardware, paint the yellow assembly marks, and didn't paint the part number on the mustache bar.

What would be the correct number @26th-Z ? Is this the correct one, it's off a Aug 1970 build.

image.jpeg

Edited by SpeedRoo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Great observations, please keep them coming.

The inner tail panel, when did it change over to covers for the taillight access?

image.jpeg

TS70-42 8 Oct 1970

Cars with Black Interior Trim

HLS30 02830

HLS30 03327 - California Models

Cars with Brown or Blue interiors

HLS30 03881

HLS30 04364 - California Models

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, Carl Beck said:

I don't believe that the Top Lid to the Battery Cover was vented (with holes) until much later.  While it looks like NISSAN OEM Spark Plug wires were used - the later OEM Replacement Parts for a time came with Red Spark Plug Boots - the originals and later OEM Replacements were all black.  May have been mentioned, but as I recall those are the wrong hood bumpers for 01/70

FWIW...the battery cover lid that came on my 12/71 car does not have vent holes.  

20221105_182154[1].jpg

Recently replacements (now NLA) from the likes of Motorsports Auto, JDM-Car-Parts and 240Z Rubber Parts appear to have the holes.

image.png 

https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/electric-components-nissan-datsun-fairlady-z-240z-260z-280z-280zx/products/original-battery-cover-set-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z?variant=731360985

• Like 1

I keep referencing to the close to original Green May 1970 240Z "04684" to work out what is correct or not. Should the fuel pump be Nikki on early cars, also should the clip on the hose connecting to the fuel filter be a wire clamp or band type? Were the wire clamps gold zinc or clear? Or a combination?

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0142-scaled.j image.jpeg

P/N 99999-20015 (a.k.a.) the Nissan Service Manual for Model L20A, L24 Series Engines, Page ET-5 appears to show a clip style clamp on the outflow part of the fuel strainer.  It's hard to make out in the photo, but it looks like the typical Philips head wire band hose clamp from the hose to the fuel pump side.

So the green 240Z appears to be setup closer to the original.

image.png

Edited by DatsunZGuy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

it looks like the typical Philips head

It isn't phiLLips.. It's a JIS.. see:

That Phillips-head screw isn't what you think it is - Hagerty Media

It took me also a lot of years to GET that!  These days i have the apropriate screwdrivers in house and it's just a better fit!

(I thought i just say this , because we are nitpicking anyways here.. haha 🙊)

NICE article from Hagerty, well explained. 👍

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

31 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

It took me also a lot of years to GET that!  These days i have the apropriate screwdrivers in house and it's just a better fit!

Exactly.  I firmly believe that is the reason so many of the heads on the carbs, hose clamps, etc are so screwed up (pardon the pun).  It is because someone used a Philips head screwdriver. JIS fits the head.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

That is a good read from Hagerty. I learned something new today. I've never noticed the dot on the heads of screws but found it interesting and then I saw this picture that @HS30-H posted and was perplexed (as usual) by the dots in his photo. There's one with a single dot, the others have two. I'd like to learn more. Hopefully someone knows the story better? Thanks anybody that might share some information with me/us. Cliff

Diode Assy-4.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1