IGNORED

240Z restorations, what's right and what's not

SpeedRoo

18 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

There seems to be the wiring cover missing under the dash.

Eh.. i never seen a cover for those wires.. i tink? yes on the later 280 but not a 240z? i got an early 71 240z and does not have the cover.. I don't have any idea where to screw it to?  If anyone has a cover, i like to see pics.. never seen one....i think?? 🙊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

First rule of this conversation is don't badmouth the guy's car.  So...this is very nice restoration with very heavy "provenance" on workmanship.  This looks like a Pierre, very 'Vintage Z' vibe.  However, there are too many incorrect inconsistencies to mention.  As i feel about the 'Vintage Z' restorations, I observe about this car; a "parts replacement" restoration.  It is fresh and clean and new looking because the parts have been replaced, in many cases with date incorrect pieces.  And that's just what these sort of restorations are all about.  Extremely nice, almost new condition, perfectly acceptable for show and dance.  In this case, assembled by craftsmen who really did a nice job.

No, the early cars were not underbodied black.  Spare tire well is missing the velcro and the alignment stickers.  Interior tail light panel cover is the later style with the access panels.  I could go on and on.  But how about this?  The 240Z badges would be chrome Zs and the gas door knob would be the vertical version.  I learned about early tail lights recently.  These are later version replacements.

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0020.jpg

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0030.jpg

Hi Chris, my HLS30-02146 got this 220-24152R . So we can say at least up to 03/1970 , our cars don’t have a symbol on the far right upper and lower. We need more reports ! By the way , Japanese tail lights have the same PAT. number for an early and a later one . So if you can’t source an early one but want to install later one to an early car , you just sand the symbol and erase it. For the US , you can erase the symbol but the number 24166 remains and shows it is a later one.

About the knob sits vertical and the chrome Z emblem set , I was thinking about it too. This car HLS30-01606 reminds me the data sheet of production number which I have got from Mr.Uemura and Mr.Osawa in 2003 .

I mean , according to the data sheet, HLS30 and HS30 were made 543 cars in 1969 , and 1010 in January 1970. So , Total 1553 export S30 cars born before February 1970.

HLS30-01606 in January 1970 could be very unusual thing. Early VIN got later date tag is sometimes happened, but the opposite is …

What I am feeling about this car is, this car would not come with a vertical knob , nor chrome Z emblems . Because I am feeling this car would be very close to be February made . I can’t see a tiny hole for a retaining an early type cabin air intake. I see the hood bumper on each side is not the early one. These things are telling this car is closer to my 03/1970 240Zs rather than my 01/1970 Z432. 

Kats

9E156C7C-D15E-437E-BA8F-CC31C1EEDDE6.jpeg

Edited by kats

Keep it coming guys, fantastic comments and great feedback.

What would be the right door rubbers for this car, the early 2-piece type or single piece bulb type like this one has?

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0114-scaled.j

It seems to be missing the key number decal in the glovebox.

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0100-scaled.j

They painted over some bolts on the rear end. Looks like it has the factory rubber bushings on the mustache bar.

1970_datsun_240z_1606-Gold-0167-scaled.j

22 hours ago, motorman7 said:

- Hub caps are from a later series 1 car.  Hole for the valve stem should be under the spoke, not the slot.

If I recall correctly  - - - we had a long Discussion Tread several years ago related to the position of the Valve Stem Hole on the Early vs Late D Hub Caps.  I believe Kats proved that the position of the opening on the early D Hub Caps for the valve stem - was either one of two different positions.(both positions were shown on very early Z’s)  Meaning you could not tell an early from the later D Hubcaps based on the position of the opening for the valve stem.  (may be my memory is bad?)

5 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Eh.. i never seen a cover for those wires.. i tink? yes on the later 280 but not a 240z? i got an early 71 240z and does not have the cover.. I don't have any idea where to screw it to?  If anyone has a cover, i like to see pics.. never seen one....i think?? 🙊

Here are pics and measurements for the OE wiring cover still on my car. The aftermarket cover offered by MSA mentioned by @26th-Z is notoriously undersized. Note that the edges of the OE cover are bowed out.

Wrap01.jpg

Wrap02.jpg

Wrap03.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Carl Beck said:

If I recall correctly  - - - we had a long Discussion Tread several years ago related to the position of the Valve Stem Hole on the Early vs Late D Hub Caps.  I believe Kats proved that the position of the opening on the early D Hub Caps for the valve stem - was either one of two different positions.(both positions were shown on very early Z’s)  Meaning you could not tell an early from the later D Hubcaps based on the position of the opening for the valve stem.  (may be my memory is bad?)

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the info Carl.

• Like 1