IGNORED

15" Tire Recommendations for 2022

Marty Rogan

I don’t have them mounted yet, but I picked up a set of BF Goodrich tires recently for one of my Z cars. I also picked up a set of Konig Rewind wheels. I’m thinking it will be a perfect combination for my  Z.

E3BEE5D3-5297-490A-A7F9-0D133E85F896.jpeg

856B455C-FFEC-48D5-8E25-402764C3C610.jpeg

8B4EED4A-75D7-4AC0-BAFA-8414CA32505D.jpeg

D9F4FC83-1EBF-42F1-BFD0-0C1388223495.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, SteveJ said:

While the Radial TAs are available in that size, they really aren't performance tires.

I think they're about as "performance" as anything you and I can find for our 15-inch wheels. 

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

What size are your BFG's?

Are you asking me?

225-50 or 55, I think.

15x8 inch wheels.

I’ll check when I get home.

I run Hoosier Street TD, 225-55 bias ply on my race Z, on a 14x7 inch rim.

Perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Rogan said:

How is the cornering performance?

In my opinion, very good.  Probably an 8 out of 10, given the size and my car setup.  Obviously I would use something better for track or auto crossing, but for everyday use and sometimes aggressive corning, I think they're great.  I went on a ~100 mile drive yesterday with the Z club in the foothills, highway 49 (which sometimes makes Car & Drivers favorite road list), and my favorite, 193 coming down into Placerville.  Pleased with their performance when we had no traffic in front of us.

IMG_0420.JPEG

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, KenFirch said:

In my opinion, very good.  Probably an 8 out of 10, given the size and my car setup.  Obviously I would use something better for track or auto crossing, but for everyday use and sometimes aggressive corning, I think they're great.  I went on a ~100 mile drive yesterday with the Z club in the foothills, highway 49 (which sometimes makes Car & Drivers favorite road list), and my favorite, 193 coming down into Placerville.  Pleased with their performance when we had no traffic in front of us.

IMG_0420.JPEG

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed feedback.  I think those will go on the short list to consider.

Well, after quite a bit of searching, the only performance tire that I have found so far in my preferred size of 215/60/15 is the Dunlop Sport Classic, for $340 ea.  That is way more than I have been paying for my race tires, so those are out.

My current tires, Yokohama AVS 215/60/15, diameter 24 1/2",  were great, but have no direct replacement.  I want to get as close to that size and performance as possible.

My short list from TireRack as of right now is:

Yokohama Advan Fleva V701, 205/55/15, diameter 23.8, $126.76  Good reviews from Miata drivers, which is pretty similar in weight and performance as a 240Z

Toyo Proxes R1R, 195/55/15, diameter 23.5"  $156.47.  Lots of good reviews on various sports cars.

Yokohama Avid Ascent GT, 205/60/15, diameter 24.8" $114.99.   No reviews on TireRack on sports cars, but got a strong recommendation from Ken above.

So, it looks like my choice is either more documented performance or closer to my preferred size with one personal recommendation.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions....