IGNORED

1970 240Z Works Rally - the road to restoration

Thanks for the encouragement, @HS30-H! I'm familiar with Kevin's car, and its fascinating to consider that these cars rallied together (one from the front of the pack, and one waaaay in the back!)  Although they are only one year apart in assembly, we can already begin to see some product development occurring. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kevin's must be one of the last lightweight spec cars produced, prior to going to steel and glass?

• Like 1

Fun to see us talking about rally cars again.  We had some great discussions back in 2006 - 2007.  I was told that this car is HS30-00026 adding a little pedigree to my beauty.  I still have a massive collection of images which were 'hoovered' back in the day.  Hope the restoration is the best of times.

HS30-00026_696 - 71 welsh.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on your attendance at a car show ! And thank you so much for sharing your car’s details with us .

I am so excited about seeing your genuine Works rally car , it is so fascinating. You must have been dedicated to the car  , I just imagine how difficult it is to collect the rare of the rare parts . Also you must have spent a lot of time to confirm it’s provenance.

You have Alan , he is the best enthusiast to ask , I am enjoying this thread , a lot of new things to learn .

One thing I would like to know is , the speed meter . Max 180 km/h , this is not a usual thing for Fairlady Z series for 1969-1973 . They have Max 240 km/h scale . Is that a Works special or, normal scale for Australia or some other destinations? 

Kevin’s Works car has also 180 km/h scale . 

Kats

9F33C422-5536-4E3B-99B3-0E2CB336AE23.png

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:54 AM, HS30-H said:

The silver vertical is only one part of the heated screen system. There are zig-zagging horizontal elements embedded in the glass (just like a modern heated 'screen) which cover at least 90% of the glass. They are very effective.   

Here's a close-up of the lower-right corner of the glass, showing the pattern and coverage.  It's very fine, to the point where one does not notice it when seated in the cockpit, apart from the main vein going up the middle.  

IMG_9919.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi @kats I'm glad you are joining the conversation!  My Speedo looks exactly like the one you pictured - reading in km/h to 180- as does the 8K Works Tach.  Some of the central gauges differed as development advanced.  Thankfully, 986's gauges seem to match other 1970-build examples, most notably 8D-420, and it's sister car TKS33-SA-988, so I'm guessing the gauges that are installed are correct for this particular batch of cars.

Edited by xs10shl
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, xs10shl said:

Hi @kats I'm glad you are joining the conversation!  My Speedo looks exactly like the one you pictured - reading in km/h to 180- as does the 8K Works Tach.  Some of the central gauges differed as development advanced.  Thankfully, 986's gauges seem to match other 1970-build examples, most notably 8D-420, and it's sister car TKS33-SA-988, so I'm guessing the gauges that are installed are correct for this particular batch of cars.

Thanks ! I have zero knowledge  and zero experience for rally, but this speedometer makes me think it needs to be . For average speed , no need 240 km/h scale  ? 180 km/h scale gives better read for accurate speed control for time keeping? 

Super cool car !

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Fun to see us talking about rally cars again.  We had some great discussions back in 2006 - 2007.  I was told that this car is HS30-00026 adding a little pedigree to my beauty.  I still have a massive collection of images which were 'hoovered' back in the day.  Hope the restoration is the best of times.

HS30-00026_696 - 71 welsh.jpg

Yes, that's Tony Fall and Mike Wood on a typical Forestry Commission track special stage of the 1971 Fram Castrol International Welsh Rally, in 'TKS 33 SA 696' - the Works team car that John Bloxham had used on the 1970 RAC Rally five months previously - which had been loaned by the Works team and was serviced by Old Woking Service Station.

They won outright! This was the second international rally win for the 240Z, following Herrmann & Schuller's win on the East African Safari Rally in April.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kats said:

Thanks ! I have zero knowledge  and zero experience for rally, but this speedometer makes me think it needs to be . For average speed , no need 240 km/h scale  ? 180 km/h scale gives better read for accurate speed control for time keeping? 

I think the pattern was that Safari cars had 240 km/h speedos, probably because some pretty high sustained speeds were possible on certain sections and the was no legal speed limit. Monte and RAC cars would tend to see lower sustained stage speeds, and would have to conform to local speed limits on the road sections which linked the special stages.

Yes, an accurate speedo would be of use to the driver when being required to maintain a certain speed on the road sections, but the navigator had the Haldas and Heuers to help with that too. It was the navigator's job to make sure that they checked in - and out - of time controls, service points and Parc Ferme on time. Navigator is the boss!      

12 hours ago, xs10shl said:

Thankfully, 986's gauges seem to match other 1970-build examples, most notably 8D-420, and it's sister car TKS33-SA-988

@xs10shl do you have a list of the Kanri numbers for the rally cars? I've seen some that start with "RF" and others with "8D", they must have come out of different workshops. Some of the race cars have the "8D" prefix as well. How did your car end up with the Kanri number on the dashboard?

The dash Kanri has a short story, and If I tell all the stories up front, there won't be anything left to discuss in the coming year 😄.  I have so much material to get to and share, and I look forward to discussing it all.  Thanks for your enthusiasm and interest, much more to come!

On 6/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, Marty Rogan said:

Can you give us some of the car's history and how you came to own it?

Thanks for your inquiry, Marty.  Here's an snip from my blog, which covers the basics:

Today I'm pretty confident I know most of the big pieces of the car's story. That said, I'm guessing there are still many more pieces to discover. I'll post here what my existing body of research concludes, and if there are any questions, comments, additions (and even rebuttals), I'll take them as they come.

TKS33-SA-986 Rally History

-------------------------------------

07/1970 Tub manufacture – 7/1970 to 8/1970

09/1970 Assembly and outfitting (based on wiring harness date codes)

10/1970 Registered with Carnet plate TKS33-SA-986 (approximate time-period)

01/1971 40th Rallye Monte-Carlo (#70 Fall/Wood): 10th Place overall

03/1971 Sold To Rob Janssen – Datsun Nederland (approximate time-period)

04/1971 Zandvoort Paas Races (#61 Janssen): 4th place overall

09/1971 Registered with plate 67-54-RU

11/1971 RAC Rally of Great Britain (#96 Janssen/Dik): DNF - retired

Post-1971: I've got no data that it was ever rallied again. This makes some sense, due to the 1972 FIA rule changes which prohibited the use of lightweight body panels on rally cars.

145855476_3805350792836808_2524815165698617743_n.jpg

side closeup bw.jpg

RAC.jpg

• Like 1