IGNORED

1973 240z Custom Wiring From Scratch

Matthew Abate

Okay, the body harness has been stripped.

71795D6A-007F-48A7-88DD-E05B6EDC55E2.jpeg

I am very glad I didn’t try to use this thing. It’s melted / burnt in two places and has been messed with and rewrapped in three places. The next step is to compare this to the diagram and see what the story is.

• Like 2

I just learned something that is not immediately obvious to someone who has never done this kind of thing before: The positions and lengths of the lines in the wiring diagram DO NOT correspond to my harness very closely at all.

Yes, the wires connecting one component to another are captured in the diagram, but there is no relationship between either the length or the proximity of one wire to another in that diagram to what is in the car.

What I mean by this is the just because two wires are next to each other in the diagram does not mean they are in a same harness. The best example of this are the blue/white and blue/red wires that go from the antenna switch to the antenna. In the diagram these are very short and not near anything else. These two wires are the longest wires in my body harness, where they are twisted up with 18 other wires.

There is also a random blue wire in the 1973 diagram coming from the Accessory Relay and going to nothing. It goes between the two flashers in the dash and just stops in the empty space.

Just a word of caution to anyone else jumping into their first wiring project with both feet. They’re great for checking wire colors but you need a physical representation to refer to in order to make a new harness.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Okay, my plans suffered their first casualty: I will not be going with an electric compressor on my AC system. It’s possible, but I would need to have a 200 amp alternator to handle the draw. The one I have is 100 and can’t cover it. I would also have to figure out some kind of controller to make sure it was operating and cycling correctly, and I’m trying to avoid computers. The thing that really tipped it over the edge, though, is having to move it out of the engine bay to keep it cool. These things are too big and need pipes to the condenser, even if you move the condenser somewhere too, so there isn’t an obvious place to put it.

So that simplifies my project a little. I can probably pull the trigger on my AC parts now.

—-

I think I want to have my additional interior components on a new / additional harness. I haven’t decided if it would attach to the body harness or the dash harness yet, but it is for my additional power supplies to charge phones and a Bluetooth speaker. At least two of them will be USB-C plugs, and the last either a 12-volt plug or another USB-C.

Edited by Matthew Abate

I have verified that is is the right harness for my car by the part number printed on the white shrink near the blue clip (24014-n3300). It isn't the one that came with the car, which I can tell because it has metallic green overspray on it and I am pretty sure my car never had. I think it is for a 7/72 to 7/73 car, which mine is (7/73), but it has the black connector sleeves for the defroster, which came on the 75-83 harnesses according to Banzai Motorworks.

I still have two things I have not been able to figure out about this harness, though:

1. This one is minor. The room light wires should be Red w/ Blue, Black, and Black. I have 3 long wires that I know are for the room light based on the connectors on the ends, but they are Red w/ Blue, Black, and Red w/ Black. Is this maybe just a foible of my harness? I know these aren't mixed up with the defroster wires because I have accounted for those and verified them by the connectors on those wires, even though they are the same colors. This would not be the only place where the wire colors deviate from the diagram. The rear combination light connectors don't match the diagram either, but they do match the FSM.

B07D0DD3-F575-4679-A2D6-39FE81D8E3DC.jpeg

2. This one is perplexing. I have two wires (White & White w/ Black stripe) coming out of the harness at the same point as the two wires that go to the left rear marker light. I haven't been able to find these in any of the wiring diagrams for any year.

As far as I can tell, these do not go to the tail lights, license plate lights, fuel pump or sensor, antenna, or marker lights. Is this maybe a European, Canadian, Californian, or Right-Hand-Drive harness? Some of the diagrams specify market-specific options and others are USA only. They do have the same connectors as the Step Light wires on the other end of the harness, but that runs into the door from the front on the right side. The left door switch is on the dash harness, plus the connectors don't match, so it isn't that. Maybe rear fog lights (not in the diagram)?

I'm pretty sure that these supply signal and power to the speaker that was in the left rear quarter panel.

E0EFFE2C-5862-4AA1-9446-C57211D92731.jpeg

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated!

Edited by Matthew Abate

I have a question about these plugs on the body harness:

5D4C233E-906D-42F6-BE20-55A8D6A79268.jpeg

The one at the top of the photo is to the fuel pump and is labeled in the wiring diagram and the FSM. It has two wires (black, yellow) and two plugs in a T arrangement.

The other on is the one I can’t identify. It has one plug and one wire (green) that is a heavier gauge than all of the other wires in the harness. The connector has a tooth for a clip and the wire goes all the way back to the blue 10-pin connector that joins the dashboard harness.

I checked the FSM and don’t see a label for this wire where it describes that blue connector, but it is directly across from the yellow wire in that connector, which goes to the fuel pump.

Is this just a third wire for that fuel pump harness? If so I wonder why they didn’t just use a 3-plug connector. Is it for the fuel tank sending unit? That is showing as two wires (black, yellow) in the diagram.

Edited by Matthew Abate

4 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Yellow and black = Fuel sending unit.

Green = fuel pump power.

Awesome! Thank you.

I just realized I may have filed this thread in the wrong place. I don’t see an electrical section but maybe one of the moderators can move it to the right place.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Finished the inventory of the body harness…

B71C3FD2-E5A3-4C9B-A089-26D0FA1393E2.jpeg

Tagged all the connectors and checked them against the diagram. Measured the lengths and identified all of the splice points.

Here’s everything I’ll need to replicate it (except the optimal wire gauge), with the splice color indicating the color tape covering the splice:

1973 240z Body Harness Inventory
Position Component Conector Color Connector Style Connector Image Direction # of Pins # of Wires Diagram Wire Color Harness Wire Color Min. Feet of Wire Needed
Instrument Harness A
Blue
10-Prong
F53E13CC-7434-4EC3-AE01-E8B154ACC954.jpeg
F
White w/ Black White w/ Black [See Speaker]
Blue w/ Red Blue w/ Red [See Antenna]
White White [See Speaker]
Blue w/ White Blue w/ White [See Antenna]
Yellow Yellow [See Fuel Pump]
Green w/ Black Green w/ Black [R. Comb. Lamp RH]
Green w/ Red Green w/ Red [R. Comb. Lamp LH]
Green Green [See Belt Switches]
Green Green [See Seat Switch]
Green Green (Heavy) [See Fuel Pump]
Instrument Harness B
White
6-Prong
C919BC7B-1981-422B-B6B9-970E98F15E4C.jpeg
M
Red w/ Black Red w/ Black (Thick) [See Rear Glass Defroster]
Red w/ Blue Red w/ Blue [See Room Light]
Yellow w/ Green Yellow w/ Green [See Hand Brake Switch]
Green w/ White Green w/ White 18 (to Green Splice C)
Red w/ Black Red w/ Black [R. Comb. Lamp LH]
Black Black 1 (to Yellow Splice)
Door Switch
Clear
Spade
6F195793-0271-4B99-92C8-7DDCEB82CA30.jpeg
F
Black Black [See Step Light Harness]
Black Red w/ Black [See Room Light]
Step Light Harness
Clear Bullet
094AEB9E-8D68-4940-99F8-4B906431FE03.jpeg
M 1 1 Black Black 2
Clear Bullet F 1 1 Red w/ Blue Red w/ Blue 1
Yellow Splice
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Red w/ Blue Red w/ Blue
N/A
Black Black
5 Hand Brake Clear Spade   F 1 1 Yellow w/ Green Yellow w/ Green 8
Green Splice A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Green Green
N/A
Green Green
Green Green
Belt Switch RH
White
3-Prong Mini
FC8FCE73-BBFE-4B89-ADFA-F3B0155D5FBB.jpeg
F
Green w/ Black Green w/ Black [See Seat Switch]
Green Green 7
Green Splice B
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Green Green
N/A
Green w/ Black Green w/ Black
Seat Switch
White
3-Prong Mini

F
Green w/ Black Green w/ Black 1
Red Green 1 (from Green Splice A)
Belt Switch LH
White
3-Prong Mini

F
Green w/ Black Green w/ Black 1 (from Green Splice B)
Green Green 12
White Splice A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Black Black
N/A
Black Black
Room Light
Clear Spade   F 1 1 Black Black 3 (from White Splice A)
Clear Spade A03BAE6E-34B9-400C-BE93-A202629F75F7.jpeg F 1 1 Red w/ Blue Red w/ Black 17
Black Spade 636D1AAB-A693-44C5-AF79-CC7FF4692188.jpeg M 1 1 Red w/ Blue 17
Rear Glass Defroster
Black Spade
ABB9EEB4-FDF7-481C-B98E-E1939311E024.jpeg
F 1 1 Black Black 19
Black Spade F 1 1 Red w/ Black Red w/ Black 15
Green Splice C
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Green w/ White Green w/ White
N/A
Rear Side Marker Light RH
Clear Bullet

M 1 1 Black Black 1 (from White Splice B )
Clear Bullet F 1 1 Green w/ White Green w/ White 1 (from Green Splice D)
Tank Sending Unit
White
2-Prong w/ Clip
674ED945-EE29-4473-A180-8D1C401966A4.jpeg
F
Black Black 6 (from White Splice A)
Yellow Yellow 14
Fuel Pump
White
1-Prong
C5D3ED65-E33C-4DE1-9A96-AF81B3D90DD2.jpeg
F
Black Green 14
Yellow
Rear Combo Lamp RH
White
4-prong Small
39890B51-C392-4917-BF5C-CE55C4177DD8.jpeg
F
Black Black 3 (to White Splice A)
White w/ Black Green w/ Black 16
Green w/ White Green w/ White 2 (to Green Splice E)
Red w/ Black Red w/ Black 1 (to Green Splice D)
Green Splice D
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Red w/ Black Red w/ Black
N/A
Green Splice E
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
License Plate Light
Clear Bullet

M 1 1 Black Black 2 (to White Splice B )
Clear Bullet F 1 1 Black Green w/ White 1 (from Green Splice E)
Rear Combo Lamp LH
White
4-prong Small

F
Black Black 1 (to White Splice B )
White w/ Black Green w/ Red 18
Green w/ White Green w/ White 1 (from Green Splice E)
Red w/ Black Red w/ Black 18
White Splice B
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Black Black
N/A
Black Black
Black Black
Black Black
Side Marker Light LH
Clear Bullet

M 1 1 Black Black 2 (from White Splice B )
Clear Bullet F 1 1 Green w/ White Green w/ Black 3 (from Green Splice E)
Speaker
Clear Bullet

M 1 1 White w/ Black 19
Clear Bullet F 1 1 White 19
Antenna
Clear Bullet

F 1 1 Blue w/ Red Blue w/ Red 20
Clear Bullet F 1 1 Blue w/ White Blue w/ White 20
Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Like 1

You may have noticed a few things I marked in Red in the last post. These were wires that differed from what I have in the Factory loom I disassembled in the wiring diagram. Well, I have a few more for the engine bay. I still have a lot of wire chasing and investigation to do, but I can point out two things:

1. The Throttle Opener Relay is missing from the wiring diagram I downloaded, but it is in the FSM wiring diagram for 1973 cars with manual transmissions (bottom left hand corner near the coil).

2. The 10-pin clips are differing pretty substantially this time. I am not surprised by a couple of wires being different colors, but also, the White and Black connectors are swapped from what is in the FSM and I am missing a wire in each of the other two. I need to find out somehow if these were removed or just never there in the first place. Maybe this will become apparent after I finish chasing the wires.

Component Connector Color Connector Style Direction # of Pins # of Wires Diagram Wire Color Sample Wire Color
Instrument Harness A
Blue
10-Prong 
F
Red w/ White Red w/ White (Heavy)
Green w/ Red Green w/ Red
Yellow w/ Green Yellow w/ Green
Black w/ Yellow
Red Red
Blue w/ Yellow Blue w/ White
Instrument Harness B
Green
10-Prong 
F
Black Black
Black Black (Heavy)
Green w/ Black
Green w/ Red Green w/ Red
Blue Black w/ Yellow
Green Green
Green Green
Instrument Harness C
White Black
10-Prong 
F
Yellow w/ Green Yellow w/ Green
Blue Blue
Black Black
Red w/ Yellow Red w/ Yellow
Red w/ Blue Red w/ Blue
Green w/ Blue Green w/ Blue
Red Red
Blue w/ Yellow Blue w/ Yellow
Instrument Harness D
Black White
10-Prong 
F
Black w/ White Black
White White
Green Green
Yellow w/ White Yellow w/ White
Black w/ White Black w/ White
Black w/ White Black w/ White
Yellow w/ Blue Yellow w/ Black
Yellow w/ Red Blue w/ Red
Edited by Matthew Abate

Well, I am pretty sure that my engine harness is for an automatic, not the manual harness I need.

It has a 6-prong plug (G, B, B, BY, BY, BY) and a long branch with a yellow/blue wire. In the diagram that wire goes to the inhibitor. Both of these are automatic only.

Not a crisis, because it was damaged and messed with in a number of places, but it does make using this as a guide to build my new one significantly harder.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Okay, I officially need help. I have 14 wires in this harness I cannot identify at all, and 5 that I think I have right but am not 100% sure about.

Starting at where this harness connects to the dashboard harness, here is a list of what I have identified already:

• Instrument Harness A through D, To Dash Harness A from Alternator, To Dash Instrument Harness B from Starter Motor, Horn Relay, Intermittent Relay, and Hazard
  • Wiper Motor
  • Starter Motor, and Starter Ground
  • Oil Pressure Switch, Alternator, and Alternator Ground
  • Voltage Regulator and Condenser
  • Inspection Light
  • Side Marker Lamp RH, Parking & T/S & Side Front RH, Head Light RH, Fog Light RH, and Horn RH
  • Horn LH, Fog Light LH, Parking & T/S & Side Front LH, Head Light LH, and Side Marker Lamp LH

---

So, working from the end furthest from the firewall toward the dashboard connectors, this is what I am looking at:

• I have a yellow wire ending in a female bullet connector sharing a sleeve with a black wire ending in a female spade connector
  • That black wire extends to where the yellow wire merges into the harness and has another female spade connector
  • At that same point I have a green w/ white wire and a black w/ white wire, both ending in female spade connectors
  • There is also a longer black w/ white wire ending in a female spade connector and shrouded in a black sleeve

IMG_4724.JPG

Further up the harness, about 10 inches from the bundle of wires for the lights on the left side of the car, I have 3 wires that have been cut: black w/ yellow, green, and black. See the far left side of the following image.

IMG_4725.JPG

The next mystery is a bundle of 4 wires that emerges between the bundle for the starter and the thick branch of wires that holds the wiper motor connector, among others. There are 2 red w/ black ending in male bullet connectors and 2 black w/ yellow ending in female bullet connectors. See the middle of the image below.

(Also, can someone confirm that that is the water tank wire?)

IMG_4726.JPG

Lastly, I have two 4 wires emerging from that thick branch that holds the wiper motor connector and what I think is the seatbelt relay (automatic only). There is a black wire that is on its own and has been cut. There is also a bundle of 3 wires: black ending in a male spade connector, black w/ yellow ending in a female spade connector, and yellow with green ending in a female bullet connector. This bundle of wires is about 6 1/2 feet long, and the diagram does not show any yellow w/ green wires.

(Can someone confirm that that is the seat belt relay connector?)

IMG_4727.JPG

---

So yeah. That's the hangup on finishing this step of the project. If anyone has any idea what these wires are for, please let me know. It is entirely possible that these were modifications the previous owner made, but I am hopeful that we can solve this collectively.

Edited by Matthew Abate