IGNORED

HELP: Rear red lights ON and no power to starter

MH77280Z

I'm curious. Have you tried to start the car with it in neutral?

Recently a friend with a black/gold 10AE said his starter gave out. I told him that before he orders a starter, he should verify he had voltage at the solenoid. He measured and said he had no voltage there. I went to his house with a remote starter. I verified his reading and used the remote starter to start his car.

After consulting the wiring diagram, I traced it back to an ignition relay and verified the coil was not getting power. That led me to suspect the inhibit switch on the transmission. I told him to put the car in neutral and try starting. It started right up. I don't recall seeing anything in this thread about trying to start in neutral. Try it and report back.

• Like 1

The ignition relay is not involved in the starter motor operation.

The starter motor solenoid circuit varies depending on vehicle.  You don't have any signature details so it's not clear what you're working with.

image.png

22 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The starter motor solenoid circuit varies depending on vehicle.  You don't have any signature details so it's not clear what you're working with.

image.png

Trace the power for the coil on the relay at the top of the image you clipped. The white/black wire comes from the inhibit switch on the transmission, and if you trace the white/black on the other side of the inhibit switch, you'll find it goes back to the ignition relay.

The OP has an automatic. He has posted on starting issues before.

30 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I'm curious. Have you tried to start the car with it in neutral?

Recently a friend with a black/gold 10AE said his starter gave out. I told him that before he orders a starter, he should verify he had voltage at the solenoid. He measured and said he had no voltage there. I went to his house with a remote starter. I verified his reading and used the remote starter to start his car.

After consulting the wiring diagram, I traced it back to an ignition relay and verified the coil was not getting power. That led me to suspect the inhibit switch on the transmission. I told him to put the car in neutral and try starting. It started right up. I don't recall seeing anything in this thread about trying to start in neutral. Try it and report back.

I tried on N just now again and have tried it at every other position as well and I just keep getting that click in the ignition relay that's all.

Previously when it used to work sometimes intermittently it used to do it but then on 1 or 2 tries it used to start. I think the ignition relay just gave up.

Edit - replying to SteveJ's comment...

Not clear what you mean.  This is about power on the yellow/black wire to the starter solenoid.  He says his starter does not turn.

If he has an automatic, then focusing on the seat belt relay would make sense.

Edited by Zed Head

8 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Trace the power for the coil on the relay at the top of the image you clipped. The white/black wire comes from the inhibit switch on the transmission, and if you trace the white/black on the other side of the inhibit switch, you'll find it goes back to the ignition relay.

The OP has an automatic. He has posted on starting issues before.

My previous starter issues got solved with a new ignition switch. But I have been seeing some funky behavior with the ignition relay for a while like i mentioned above.

I would check power to the seat belt relay on the yellow/black wire.  That's the power that comes from the ignition switch.  If you have power there then you can assume the ignition switch is good.

Separate in your thinking the starter solenoid wire and the ignition relay.  You've already saved yourself the effort of removing the starter.  

Forgot the picture.  Haven't you bypassed this already? -

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

42 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

image.png

Its a 77 280z A/T

18 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I would check power to the seat belt relay on the yellow/black wire.  That's the power that comes from the ignition switch.  If you have power there then you can assume the ignition switch is good.

Separate in your thinking the starter solenoid wire and the ignition relay.  You've already saved yourself the effort of removing the starter.  

Forgot the picture.  Haven't you bypassed this already? -

image.png

I have not bypassed the seat belt relay. How do u do that? jump the black/yellow wire?

Asking because guys here dont mind sparking 😃