IGNORED

HELP: Rear red lights ON and no power to starter

MH77280Z

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

You should check for power at the switch first.  The odds of a new switch failing are slim.

When i turn the key the ignition relay does click, so i am assuming the power is getting from ignition to the relay. How much I dont know. Last time it came out to be the fault original ignition module not sending enough power. Let me try putting a new one and see if it behaves any different.

I did check my fuse block too and all fuses seems ok to me.

Tried a new ignition module today and exactly same condition. Nothing.

Is there a way to test the ignition relay near the passenger kick side panel? I do hear sound of clicking there. But not sure if it is ignition relay.

where to check the voltage behind the solenoid terminal?

OK that means both nothing to do with the start up issue i am having.

I am planning to take the starter out and bench test it. Before I use a different ignition relay. I just bought one used hopefully working ignition module from ebay.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, MH77280Z said:

No power getting to the solenoid at all at this time.

2 minutes ago, MH77280Z said:

I am planning to take the starter out and bench test it.

No point in working on the starter if it's not getting power from the wire.

I posted this for a minute then deleted it because it's a work around fix that won't give you answer but will get you home so take it as an emergency fix. It scare the crap out of me when I do it but I have a long screwdriver that has so many arch burns on it I could use it to sharpen a chainsaw. 😁

You can turn the key to ON and jump the solenoid by making contact with the 2 threaded bolts with a screwdriver. It'll spark and scare the hell out of you but I've done it many times. Kind of of an emergency fix but it eliminates bad starters/ solenoids too. Leave the small wire on, thats the ignition switch wire.

Like I said it's gonna arch but it bypasses the solenoid and if it cranks you have a bad starter. Please be careful with the 12V. Don't hit anything else and make sure it's in PARK.

20220521_155559.jpg

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I posted this for a minute then deleted it because it's a work around fix that won't give you answer but will get you home so take it as an emergency fix. It scare the crap out of me when I do it but I have a long screwdriver that has so many arch burns on it I could use it to sharpen a chainsaw. 😁

You can turn the key to ON and jump the solenoid by making contact with the 2 threaded bolts with a screwdriver. It'll spark and scare the hell out of you but I've done it many times. Kind of of an emergency fix but it eliminates bad starters/ solenoids too. Leave the small wire on, thats the ignition switch wire.

Like I said it's gonna arch but it bypasses the solenoid and if it cranks you have a bad starter. Please be careful with the 12V. Don't hit anything else and make sure it's in PARK.

20220521_155559.jpg

Dumb Q: if u jump these two terminals will it actually activate the plunger in the solenoid?

I mean if it bypasses the solenoid the plunger will not activate and will not let the starter make contact with the flywheel etc.?

Edited by MH77280Z

You can also take a piece of wire and connect it to the solenoid small terminal then touch the other end to the battery positive post.  A poor man's remote starter switch.  Cliff/site's suggestion is the quick and easy way, but using a piece of wire adds some convenience. 

Supplying battery power to the small solenoid terminal is exactly what the ignition wire does.  It will actuate the solenoid which will move the plunger and cause the starter to turn and the gear to engage the flywheel or flex plate.

• Thanks 1

I lnow nothing about plungers but you can jump those two post and it'll arch and scare you but it should crank. If it fires up you should take the stater to a local chain and have it tested. Once again PLEASE be careful! That's some major shade tree I watched my Dad do since I was a kid.

• Like 1

I had to edit the post.

I connected the remote started between two big solenoid posts.

And while ignition ON, I pressed the remote starter and also touched 12v to the solenoid pin and the engine cranked perfectly like it was before. Removed everything and the car is idling.

I think the issue is down in the ignition relay i think.

Edited by MH77280Z