IGNORED

Steering column connections and lighting: FIXED

This is frustrating because I got the car's "primary" wiring right the first time.  Starter, ignition, etc---plugged it all in and it cranked right away.

Now I'm trying to sort out the remaining connectors in the steering column area.  I have no turn signals, hazard lights, brake lights, headlights or dashboard lights.  The wiper switch activates the wipers.

Can anyone see where I might have gotten crossed up?

IMG_20220430_214813.jpg

IMG_20220430_214350.jpg

IMG_20220430_214432.jpg

These two are white and green and are labeled "barrel thingy on steering column" but I can't find where they connect to, and I can't find a "barrel thingy" in my remaining parts stash:

IMG_20220430_214529.jpg

Any and all help appreciated.  Thanks guys.  You're the best.

Edited by BoldUlysses

The 6-pin connector doesn't look properly seated. You may want to take it apart and put it back together again. That could fix your running lights. For the headlights, there should be a black wire going from the turn signal switch over to the ground on the right side of the steering column. I didn't see that one. 

For the turn signals/brake lights, go here: https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.  Appreciate your input.  I reseated all the connections, with some dielectric grease for good measure.  The short black wire between the turn signal switch and the headlight switch is connected.

Do these wires connect to each other?  I assume they're for the "key in ignition + door open" warning buzzer?

IMG_20220501_140954.jpg

I managed to get ONE brake light to work, the left one, by connecting this white wire next to the fuse block:

IMG_20220501_140836.jpg

I tried reseating the right side brake light connectors, no change.

Can anyone tell me where this thick white-red bolts to?

IMG_20220501_140853.jpg

I tried reading your wiring diagrams (along with the ones online and in the Haynes manual), but it's always been VERY challenging for me to translate those into what I'm seeing under the dash.

Thanks for any and all input.

OK some progress:

- The hazards now work (all 4 lights).
- I found the "barrel thingy:" It's the turn signal relay (duh).  Tucked up inside the dash, I connected both the green and white wires, and...
- The turn signals work, BUT only the fronts.  No rear turns at all.

So I'm still missing:

- Headlights/parking lights
- Right brake light
- Rear turn signals

• Like 1

The white/red wire that is loose should power the fuses boxed below. It should mount to a stud on the bottom side of the fuse box. (This explains your parking lights.)

image.png

If you know how to use a multimeter (voltage and resistance testing), I can give you some diagnostics for the headlights. The brake light & rear turn signals could be the turn signal switch. Again, if you know how to use a multimeter, I can give you some diagnostics.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.  Got it hooked up (the stud is on the inside of the new-style blade fuse box):

IMG_20220501_201426.jpg

IMG_20220501_201901.jpg

Unfortunately that didn't make a difference.  Still no parking lights or headlights.

Can you tell me what these two red and black pigtails go to?  Besides the two red w/blue stripes wires coming off the ignition switch itself, they're the only two left to be plugged in.  I can't find their mates.

pigtails.jpg

Thanks again.  Yes, I have a multimeter and can check for voltage/continuity.

1. Do you have voltage to ground at the middle fuse on the right? (Touch the positive probe of the meter to each side of the fuse to make sure you don't have a bad fuse.)
  2. No on voltage at the fuse? Do you have a good ammeter installed? Stop and fix before proceeding. (A disconnected or bad ammeter would cause both parking lights and headlights to fail.)
  3. Yes on voltage at the fuse? Check for voltage to ground at the headlight switch at the arrows. (See picture below.)
  4. No voltage at green/blue - Bad connection between fuse box and switch.
  5. No voltage at white/red - Bad connection between ammeter and switch

Let's get that working, and then we can focus on the brake lights and turn signals.

Headlight and Parking Light Switch.jpg

• Like 1

OK testing results:

• 20A fuse is OK.  12.25V to ground from the right terminal of the fuse.
  • Headlight switch:  12.25V to ground on white/red.  No voltage from green/blue to ground.
  • I checked continuity on the green/blue between the headlight switch and the 6-pin connector under the steering column, it was OK.  From there, it looks like the wire changes to green/white and I don't know where it goes.
  • I checked the fuse block to see if I could find a corresponding green/white to check, but there was none.  However, after unplugging and reseating the right 6-pin fuse block connector, BOTH left turn signals work.  Still only the front when right is selected.  What is going on?

Double check the voltage for the parking light circuit at the headlight switch and check both wires for voltage to ground.

The 72 FSM identifies the wire for the parking light circuit as being green/blue. Note that this is the dash harness color. Some vendors would use alternate colors within a component such as a switch or fuse box. For instance, the wire coming off the parking light fuse in a 73 fuse box that I have handy is green/white. The color is different in the dash harness.

• Like 1

OK, progress.

I doubled checked the blue/green wire, no voltage.

I jumped the blue/green and white/red wires, and the parking lights came on (dimly).  Conclusion:  Flaky combo switch.

I removed the turn signal and combo switches:

IMG_20220502_223546.jpg

and discovered a broken solder joint on the back of the turn signal switch:

IMG_20220502_223616.jpg

(the white/red wire)

Resoldered:

IMG_20220502_225408.jpg

Next, I used this guide to clean the terminals inside the combo switch:

IMG_20220502_225938.jpg

IMG_20220502_225950.jpg

Got everything reinstalled, and...

• We have headlights!
  • We have 2 brake lights!
  • No parking/interior lights.  The 20A fuse popped when I turned the combo switch to that setting.  I wonder if my wiring is crossed up somewhere, or if maybe I reassembled the combo switch wrong?  There's only one way it could go back together though...
  • No right rear turn signal.  Left side turn signals work fine.

Encouraged by the progress, especially the 2 brake lights.  More tomorrow.

Thanks again, Steve.

You should also consider cleaning the hazard switch in the dash, as some lighting power goes through that switch as well. 

Very similar type of switch and cleaning method as you have now done with the combo switches. 

Might still have a short somewhere though if the fuse is popping. 

Looks like you are making good progress though. 

• Like 1

• BoldUlysses changed the title to Steering column connections and lighting: FIXED