IGNORED

280z Steering Wheel Vibration

Ownallday

4 hours ago, Ownallday said:

Very weird so our cars are prone to change drastically depending on the tires. Might have to swap out my tires see what changes. Currently running Hankook RS4 225/45R15. I always questioned if the sidewall was too little for this car. Might have to try Toyo R888 225/50R15 next as most people I know with Z cars run that setup. Glad yours was a simple fix that was found way later haha.

The wheels I have currently have lug holes that were apparently repaired. My friend ran them on his 240z before selling them to me and his car was perfectly fine and I also had another friend test fit my wheels on his Z and it was fine too. This was before I got my Hankook Tires.

Gotcha, we're in different baskets then

• 10 months later...

Update on this.  I tried a friends' 280zx iron cross wheels yesterday which do not shake on his car but did shake on mine.  The only difference is I used my lugs which have a straight shaft where as his have a beveled edge ("acorn" lug nuts) which might hold the wheels on better.  Any thoughts?

I did chase the same problem. what solved my problem was the front stainless steel brake shims. I removed them and used a bronzed wire wheel in a drill and cleaned them up completely and applied brake grease to both sides of them, and bingo that was my problem. now also new hardware on the calipers with brake grease. also, I did also use some sandpaper for the caliper piston where it touches the brake shim. just remove any rust that might be there. hope this helps

3 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Update on this.  I tried a friends' 280zx iron cross wheels yesterday which do not shake on his car but did shake on mine.  The only difference is I used my lugs which have a straight shaft where as his have a beveled edge ("acorn" lug nuts) which might hold the wheels on better.  Any thoughts?

I would start with trying different lug nuts and different wheels in your situation and see if you continue having any shake

Ive only seen the acorn "fat bottomed" lugs. 

If he let you borrow his wheels surely he'll let you borrow the fastners. Not much good when they're not together. LOL

My aluminum slots had the self centering acorns with a washer to keep from scarring up the aluminum. My rewinds don't. I buy them off ebay for less than $20.

Seven years ago price! They probably $50 now.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Agree 1

Ownallday,

Where are you with the vibration? Did you find and solution?

My 73 240Z with the entire front and rear suspension replaced all new rubber bushings, new tie rods, new wheel bearings ,ball joints, new shocks and springs, new polly bushing on the rack and steering coupler, Konig Rewinds 15 x 7 and new BF Goodrich TA 205/60/15. Rebalanced and re-aligned, twice.

Steering wheels vibrates at 45- 50 MPH. The only part untouched is the rack, original to the car, no play in the steering. 

Prepping the car for a 300 mile highway drive, it may shake apart along the route 🙂 

I'm going to throw more money and time at it and replace the wheel bearings, again.

How many folks on the site did wheel bearings fixed the shimmy problem?

Thanks

51 minutes ago, Blitzed said:

Ownallday,

Where are you with the vibration? Did you find and solution?

My 73 240Z with the entire front and rear suspension replaced all new rubber bushings, new tie rods, new wheel bearings ,ball joints, new shocks and springs, new polly bushing on the rack and steering coupler, Konig Rewinds 15 x 7 and new BF Goodrich TA 205/60/15. Rebalanced and re-aligned, twice.

Steering wheels vibrates at 45- 50 MPH. The only part untouched is the rack, original to the car, no play in the steering. 

Prepping the car for a 300 mile highway drive, it may shake apart along the route 🙂 

I'm going to throw more money and time at it and replace the wheel bearings, again.

How many folks on the site did wheel bearings fixed the shimmy problem?

Thanks

Sadly no, everything I wrote up in this post is what I've done to try an decrease the shake, for me it seems the struts may have made the biggest difference for me. I haven't had time to work on the car and dig into the problem but hoping that changes in a month or two after my engine build is done.

The only possible things left that I can do is try different wheels, change the driveshaft, axles, replace the rear wheels bearings (not sure when they were last replaced), and possibly trying a different steering rack (technotoytuning rack looks nice) and possibly a new steering column as my steering wheel can be moved around very slightly with the vehicle not running, not sure if that is normal or not. If you find whatever solves your shake, please let me know.

33 minutes ago, Blitzed said:

Chasincats,

Can you buy a lug nut for Konig rewinds that have a straight shaft (non accorn) with a beveled washer? Do not want to drill out the wheel opening. 

Not sure since I don't have those wheels (I have 280zx 6-spoke ones).