IGNORED

I thought I was done with Z cars

emccallum

I picked up a roof down in Ga at Resurrected classics. Very nice guys there. I ended up picking up several other things that I needed. They make some nice products. It was great seeing the younger generation passionate about old z's. Happy to support them. 

Cutting the roof skins off wasnt quite as easy as I had read it was. Each corner was welded and soldered in place. It took me a while to figure out the best approach. I got some spot weld drill bits and a seam buster. Pretty pleased with it so far and it looks like it will go back together ok. This is going to be a long project! I dropped of the motor at the machine shop today. Some pictures of the new roof test fit:

20220419_212750.jpg

20220419_212755.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome back to the club. What is the VIN?

I have a brown 72, manufactured 11/71, VIN 56539. Bought it in 1992 for my first wife, kept it in the divorce. Drove it until 98, then parked it. Pulled it out of storage a year ago last August.  , when I was sent home on Covid quarantine. The previous owner used upholstery paint on all the tan interior parts, so it has a black interior now.

I spent the two weeks of quarantine cleaning of 22 years of dust, dirt, overspray (I painted a tractor in the shop and the temporary paint booth didn’t keep the overspray contained), and spider poop.

The original finish cleaned up well.

The picture with the red Z is from 92, the others from the quarantine cleanup.

8EEB041D-F9B4-4D84-96A1-E3A88F40B1A8.jpeg

E3581F4C-F95F-4045-976B-1C4128D944CB.jpeg

9C547A23-D4C1-41A4-A90C-F05A39BC5865.jpeg

• Like 2

The car cleaned up nice! Be careful, the x may want it back now 🙂 I think my vin is 7400's or so.

I was thinking of going back Brown with black interior, except from what I can find, that wasn't ever offered. I want to keep it as a stock color combo. Leaning towards silver or white. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, emccallum said:

The car cleaned up nice!

Thanks!

Be careful, the x may want it back now

Not a chance. Been nearly 30 years, and we haven’t spoken since the divorce.

I would like to run into her though. I paid $2,000 for it, and we all know what they are selling for these days.

I was thinking of going back Brown with black interior, except from what I can find, that wasn't ever offered. I want to keep it as a stock color combo. Leaning towards silver or white. 

Yes, the brown cars only came with the tan interior. I’m not as fussy about the originality, or I would be looking for a way to return it to the tan. Besides, I’m partial to the black.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I think you'd rub into yourself before you rub into to her, eh?

ROFL

Actually she was a looker, and given the chance I’d hit it again, at least for old times sake.

And now, back to our new old member and his Z resurrection.

• Haha 4

On 4/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, emccallum said:

I picked up a roof down in Ga at Resurrected classics. Very nice guys there. I ended up picking up several other things that I needed. They make some nice products. It was great seeing the younger generation passionate about old z's. Happy to support them. 

I've been meaning to drive down to Auburn to pay them a visit.  Seems like a good outfit.  They sold me a nice reproduction set of 4 rear finisher panel bottom clips for $20 off eBay when other online sources wanted $30 per clip.

Anyway, nice find and story!  Always nice to rediscover a car you had a connection to.  Makes the restoration process that much more meaningful.

In for some "current state" engine bay + interior pics, and that list of mechanical sins the previous owners committed!

• Like 1