IGNORED

starter issue, wiring?

Wally

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Good luck getting an exchange or refund from ZCD.  

You can get a 60 amp 280ZX alternator from almost any auto parts store and go back to the "T" plug.  It should bolt right up and work just fine.  

Yep. i emailed them but dont expect anything.

I was thinking to get (unless ya'll have another opinion) the 60amp upgraded alternator from motorsports. https://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12-4068It has an internal regulator with it so wont need the external voltage regulator. 

I read that using the external voltage regulator was not nearly as good as having an internal one? If that is wrong then yes i would prefer to just by a 60amp OEM type as its only like $50 locally.

The 280ZX alternator is internally regulated.  

I can't remember from your previous posts how you modified your wiring to run the ZCD internally regulated alternator.  You need to decide on external regulation or internal regulation, and get the wiring correct for that system.  I think that it's all been covered in past posts.

Both methods work the same way.  The main problem with external regulation is finding high quality external regulators.

• Agree 1

Got in a new alternator. Got it from Oreillys. It an upgraded 280zx model so it has internal regulator, but that is fine. a few other members here said this would work fine on older models like mine.  i have a new t connector somewhere, i've also seen this called a "pigtail" somewhere else.

Anyway, there is another cable connection that goes on the back of the alternator for something. Looks to be a single wire connection. Would anyone know what that connector is called or who sells one, what its for? cant seem to find one anywhere.  I dont remember this being hooked up on old OEM alternator when i first got my car. Maybe its not needed?

found an article on another site: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

i am working through this, got a lot of detailed information there. someone knows there stuff for sure. btw, fyi, ZCD responded with a return label to refund damaged alternator i bought there. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 5.44.01 AM.png

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

The T connection is for the sense (battery voltage) and lamp (switched source) wires. You can get a T connector here:  http://www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Detail/79

The single pin connection is not utilized for your application. It is labeled P for pulse. https://shop.pkys.com/Alternator-Terminals-explained.html

Yes, that alternator should work fine. I installed one on my 240Z back in April 2000.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, w3wilkes said:

I didn't see it mentioned, but with the 60 amp internally regulated alternator you do need to replace the external voltage regulator with one of these.

Motorsport! Alternator Upgrade Adaptor, 70-72 240Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts

thanks. i have one of these

got in my ultima alternator from oreillys. took it to them to test it....it failed. took it to advance auto and it failed there too. The alternators must be junk. Going to order a new one again. hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

• Sad 1

putting on new alternator that was machine confirmed as "good"

On front top adjustment bolt there is a gap between bolt and metal slot. I can tighten it up but it bends the black metal slot. This 

cant be normal. Should i put a spacer of some in there?

IMG_3154.jpg

one more quick qu. if i may. i am about to connect new t connector to wire harness. what what i read the top yellow wire should go to the yellow and the green to the white with black stripe. can anyone 

help confirm this before i crimp things up. thanks

IMG_3155.jpg

1 hour ago, Wally said:

one more quick qu. if i may. i am about to connect new t connector to wire harness. what what i read the top yellow wire should go to the yellow and the green to the white with black stripe. can anyone 

help confirm this before i crimp things up. thanks

Top of the T which would be the (S)ense wire which would be the N wire which would be the yellow wire from the car harness.  Bottom of the T would be the (L)amp wire which would be the (F)ield wire which is the B(L)ue wire which should go to W/B on your car.  

Top of the T goes to yellow.  (Probably green in your picture).

Vertical of the T goes to W/B. (Probably yellow in your picture).

You took the picture in such a way that I can't be certain which is the top and which is the vertical.

Your initial thought seems backwards.  Also, where is the special conversion plug to allow an internally regulated alternator?

image.png

image.png

• Like 1