IGNORED

My new Z!

RabbitZ

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Not clear what is hanging up.

Here's a thread describing how far you need to tear things down to get it out easily.  Maybe you just need to do a little bit more for reverse.

From that thread, Av8ferg says:

[It’s a flat plate that the dash frame has to be lifted over.  
The dash comes out easier if you rock the bottom upwards towards tje windshield and the up and out . ]

Which may be my issue. So in reverse, dash down and in, from the windshield; then rock the bottom downwards, as in like rotate it in longitudinally (no, the correct term is pitch). When I’m able to get my assistant to join me again, we’ll try that.

Thanks!

Edited by RabbitZ

• 4 weeks later...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Freez74 said:

Made any more progress?

Naw, I’m still waiting to bring her into a local shop I’ll use to have them do a list of things to her, including re-installing the dash. I’ll call Thursday. I’ll pay for the expertise.

Edited by RabbitZ

the key to dash removal and reinstall is to get the steering column out of the way as much as possible. removing the steering wheel, and the combo switch/directional control switch 1st then removing the large bolts that allow the column to drop. Next get the seats out, only 4 bolts each and with the seat out of the way you get a LOT more room to work in. The speedo is a bit hard, but I don't recall it taking more that a few min, IIRC others have mentioned getting the speedo in before the tach so you can reach thru the tach hole. For me the hardest part was some of the flasher relays on the driver side, IIRC it was kinda tight up there.

The thing about letting other to stuff like this for you is unless you have someone you really can trust to do it right, you run the risk of having it mostly right, time is money and getting it done fast is often more important than getting it done right. When you are doing it spending hours to get the last hard to reach bolt installed is ok, others may figure you got it in "good enough". 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RabbitZ said:

Naw, I’m still waiting to bring her into a local shop I’ll use to have them do a list of things to her, including re-installing the dash. I’ll call Thursday. I’ll pay for the expertise.

Good, hope they can help.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, RabbitZ said:

Is the firewall supposed to completely block the engine bay from the interior or is there supposed to be a large hole, covered in duck tape?

Here’s some photos, from the engine bay and from the interior. Is there a missing cowl? Anyone have a part available?

93698F76-2CA3-42C0-A772-4DF9F12F6F19.jpeg

49A613BF-01F1-422B-ABDD-4AD0AE52052D.jpeg

Edited by RabbitZ

Posted (edited)

Have you removed the duct tape to examine how clean the edges are?  From your pics, it looks like it's higher up, above the heater hoses.  There's no factory hole there.

My Z has a large hole, but it's further down next to the wiring harness pass-through.  It's for the (now removed) A/C lines.

Edited by BoldUlysses

3 hours ago, RabbitZ said:

Is the firewall supposed to completely block the engine bay from the interior or is there supposed to be a large hole, covered in duck tape?

There should not be any openings in the firewall, save for those in place for heater hoses, the wire harness, steering column, brake and clutch cylinders, throttle linkage.

All of the things that pass through are sealed by a grommet.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Racer X said:

There should not be any openings in the firewall, save for those in place for heater hoses, the wire harness, steering column, brake and clutch cylinders, throttle linkage.

All of the things that pass through are sealed by a grommet.

Thanks. I’ll ask the mechanic to weld a bit of sheet metal before installing the dash.

i was also curious about the cowl.

Edited by RabbitZ

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

Do you mean the hood cowl?

image.png

I believe so. Does it drain back through the cabin with the drain hose on each side? I think it is partially missing on my passenger side where the cut out of the firewall is located (part #7).

Edited by RabbitZ

I'd be curious as to WHY you have a big chunk missing from your Z's firewall.  My only conjecture is maybe the heater hoses needed to be replaced, and to remove the hose ends off the heater control valve, someone thought it was easier to take an angle grinder to the firewall than to pull the dash... 😬

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, RabbitZ said:

Thanks. I’ll ask the mechanic to weld a bit of sheet metal before installing the dash.

i was also curious about the cowl.

Any updates on how your Z project is going?

2 hours ago, psdenno said:

Any updates on how your Z project is going?

Thanks for asking after me! I got my replacement cowl, not yet installed.

770E8BF0-D15A-4300-8729-A497C5DDE444.jpeg

I had a mechanic restore my ignition (new battery cables), tune my choke, brakes (new master cylinder & 4 brake lines), restore my exhaust (new muffler & patched a hole in my pipe). She’s really running well. Saving up to replace the cowl. Under a canopy until that happens.

CEBB20B2-CEE8-4EFE-87DB-69B80A59198A.jpeg

I am also in the process of having a garage built for her. My Rabbit Hole!

DED4AE55-7446-4B00-96BD-B0B61BF1F306.jpeg

EB7012A1-3E37-450C-8AE3-5987B79BB1EE.jpeg

997EA62E-174D-4F83-8B3E-51596A555904.jpeg

I also got a new unblemished dash, to be sorted out when the cowl is being welded on: gauges swap, wiring harness, cig lighter/hazard switch and anything else. I have 1 very long wire with a lamp socket with no idea where it goes! I am praying I get the turn signals & brake and hibeam indicators installed correctly! 😕 Cheers!

Edited by RabbitZ
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, RabbitZ said:

Yessir. 

EEC3B6A5-5CB4-4D7F-AE54-A1C0203E1FD7.jpeg

And your name must be Robert. Good name, Robert.

Salute soldier!

190904-F-HT863-0064Y.JPG

My oldest grandson is in the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg. Just started Ranger school.

• Wow 1