IGNORED

My new Z!

RabbitZ

Posted (edited)

I am starting to get ticked off that there aren’t clear instructions on how to hook up A/C and the mini-harness. I’ve had folks tell me it just plugs into the existing harness. HOW?

I am this close to saying **** it. I’m staying up thinking and testing. I’m losing precious sleep over this GD thing! I’m waking up at 4 AM about this POS! But I still need to hook up the mini-harness somehow - that damn 3-pin female connector!

Arg! I’ve lost my patience with this! F***!!

Edited by RabbitZ

@psdenno's strategy is good advice.  I've been where you are a few times and it ALWAYS pays to take a breather.

In addition, besides my favorite saying of my daughter, "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow" 😉, I can add a new one.  Thanks @psdenno

On 4/5/2022 at 4:24 AM, RabbitZ said:

I don't wish to pass up any possibilities to figure this out and connect it correctly. I have realized I may be making the wrong assumptions. I was thinking power goes from power input to my A/C Control Panel, which then goes across the A/C switch then the thermostat then over to the mini-harness to ensure the fan switch is on. Following the fan switch trace the wire into the engine bay where the compressor will be.

But what if I am wrong? What if power goes across the fan switch, then the <Blue> wire off the mini-harness goes in to the A/C Control Panel (Blue to White), which then goes across the A/C switch then the thermostat/ Following the thermostat trace the <Blue> wire in to the engine bay...

Or, what if power goes across the fan switch, then the <Blue> wire off the mini-harness goes in to the A/C Control Panel (Blue to Blue), which then goes across the thermostat then the A/C switch. Following the A/C switch trace the <White> wire in to the engine bay...

I just do not know. Any help as to where these wirtes connect is most welcome!

rabbit

Not sure if this will help, but here are two scans from the 50 year old installation booklet that came with the ARA AC setup that was installed on my Z in 1972.

Scan1.pdf Scan2.pdf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Not sure if this will help, but here are two scans from the 50 year old installation booklet that came with the ARA AC setup that was installed on my Z in 1972.

Scan1.pdf 2.17 MB · 2 downloads Scan2.pdf 85.75 kB · 4 downloads

These definitely help! Thanks! Any more scans would help too. Looking at the wiring diagram in Scan 2, it does go from the fan switch (Heater Blower Switch) to the A/C toggle to the thermostat. Like my first alternate scenario above. I tested the mini harness/fan switch and power on the red lead to the fan switch turned on (low/medium/high) results in continuity to the blue wire. So that would power to the a/c toggle. Awesome!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, ETI4K said:

@psdenno's strategy is good advice.  I've been where you are a few times and it ALWAYS pays to take a breather.

In addition, besides my favorite saying of my daughter, "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow" 😉, I can add a new one.  Thanks @psdenno

Never do today, what you can put off indefinitely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Alright, I’ve installed a blue wire to bring the A/C compressor power over to the engine bay harness connectors from the A/C Control Panel.

So my A/C circuit is <20A fused power> to <fan switch> to <a/c toggle> to <thermostat> to <Blue> wire to engine bay. My dash is done!

I replaced my <brake lite switch>. I still need to replace my heater control valve, then I can reinstall my dash, with fingers crossed.

I ran across a connector in this picture, under drivers side. Can anyone tell me what it is for and where it goes? Please! Thanks!

ABA35EFD-4109-4B95-A090-0A5A9B42CDB5.jpeg

Edited by RabbitZ

55 minutes ago, RabbitZ said:

I ran across a connector in this picture, under drivers side. Can anyone tell me what it is for and where it goes? Please! Thanks!

Looks like the radio antenna plug.

• Like 1

Just now, w3wilkes said:

Looks like the radio antenna plug.

Huh! I don’t have a radio so…thanks! I ran the <a/c compressor> wire into the engine bay, zip tied to the engine bay harness connectors. However, I wasn’t able to unbolt the heater control valve (one of those mount bolts was really stuck!). I’ll put the dash in without the blower, leaving the vent control cable unattached, and take the car to my mechanic to sort out.

I’m ready to put the dash back in, now! Wish me luck!

12 minutes ago, RabbitZ said:

Huh! I don’t have a radio so…thanks!  .....   I’m ready to put the dash back in, now! Wish me luck!

As mentioned by w3wilkes, the cable is connected to your radio antenna.  In case you want to put in an original radio at some point, be sure to identify the electrical leads for the power antenna in your wire bundle before the dash goes in.  It will make hooking up the dash mounted power switch easier when the time comes.

5 minutes ago, psdenno said:

As mentioned by w3wilkes, the cable is connected to your radio antenna.  In case you want to put in an original radio at some point, be sure to identify the electrical leads for the power antenna in your wire bundle before the dash goes in.  It will make hooking up the dash mounted power switch easier when the time comes.

Ja, I have the 2 3-pin connectors identified on my harness, matching the 2 3-pin connectors on Figure VI-2 from the FSM. One 3-pin connector is a 2.8 mm non-latching connector with {WB, W & L} for the radio, while the other is a 6.3 mm latching 3-pin connector with {L, LR & LW} for the antenna switch.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, RabbitZ said:

How difficult is it to add an aftermarket radio with antenna {power & lead}, left/right channels, front/back fade & power?

I put in a RetroSound radio. The antenna connection is the same for all radios I've used, started with factory then in 1992 I went with a Sony cassette player radio and went to the RetroSound in 2017. Note that I moved the antenna switch to the hand throttle slot.

IMG_20180912_114901750.jpg

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am so aggravated trying to reinstall the dash! I can’t get the speedo cable plugged into the speedo gauge! In the process I’ve damaged the dash and tore some of the wiring I added. It’s back on my kitchen table for needed repairs. 😞 😞 😞

Edited by RabbitZ

RabbitZ, Unhook the speedo cable from the tranny. That will give you the excess length you need to hook it up to the speedo. Much easier to re install it to the tranny than try to wrestle your big hands behind the dash.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pop&#x27;s Z said:

RabbitZ, Unhook the speedo cable from the tranny.

Sage advice 👍

I remember trying to hookup the speedometer cable from under the dash on my first Z.  My hands looked like I put it a fishbowl full of piranhas. 

Glad me tetanus shots were up-to-date.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, RabbitZ said:

That’s interesting. Does it have a USB slot in the front?

No USB on the front, however there is a pair of USB plugs on cables out the back. I've used one to charge my phone while driving. It also has bluetooth so I can stream from my phone. The link in my prior post re: RetroSound gives the specs and the picture shows the 2 USB plugs on the rightmost side of the picture. I just have them grouped with the wire bundle in the passenger footwell.

Edit: This summer I'll try to convince the son who 3D printed my Z coasters for Christmas to print me a more stock looking faceplate.

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, its easier to remove both the tacho and the speedo, install the dash, then fish the speedo cable into place. Taking the wheel out really helps too. Chances are you a binding up on something. Looks like your having some fun! 🙂

18 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

Rabbit, its easier to remove both the tacho and the speedo, install the dash, then fish the speedo cable into place. Taking the wheel out really helps too. Chances are you a binding up on something. Looks like your having some fun! 🙂

I found slack in the speedo cable, in the engine bay and fed some in. This allowed me to get the speedo cable plugged in and threaded into place. So I am good with that.

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, RabbitZ said:

Taking the wheel out really helps too. Chances are you a binding up on something. Looks like your having some fun! 🙂

Oh yeah, loads of fun! @&*%#!!

i got the speedo cable threaded into place by pulling in some slack from the speedo cable in from the engine bay.

I had previously removed the 4 12mm bolts holding the steering column up to the plate by the ignition switch. Today I removed the other 4 10mm bolts holding the steering column at the firewall and dropped it down further.

I have 7 wires to the left of the steering column by the door. From Figure VI-1::: (1, 2 & 3 for the Horn Relay; 4 & 5 for the door switch; 43 & 44 for brake lite switch, which I had extended a couple of inches with solder butt connectors). All other steering column wiring sub-harness wires are to the right of the steering column, above the flat plate.

I still cannot get the dash to seat so I can bolt her in. Very frustrating trying to wiggle it into place. I am also damaging the dash on the sides, as I try to get her to seat. 😞 

There is a flat section under the dash where the mount for climate control vent to eye balls goes. And the flat plate of the dash that sits atop the steering column bolt plate. Wires seem to be out of the way. The fulcrum which seems to be hanging is at the steering column.

Any other suggestions? TIA!

Edited by RabbitZ

3 hours ago, RabbitZ said:

still cannot get the dash to seat so I can bolt her in. Very frustrating trying to wiggle it into place. I am also damaging the dash on the sides, as I try to get her to seat.

Not clear what is hanging up.

Here's a thread describing how far you need to tear things down to get it out easily.  Maybe you just need to do a little bit more for reverse.