IGNORED

Cars for Sale: 1978 Datsun 280z

SupremeCling

1978 Datsun 280z

I bought this car a couple months ago, and 1 simple device broke leading to me wanting to look elsewhere.

66,000 original miles

4 speed

factory AC

The car was my daily until it began to overheat. Turns out the EGR broke, leaking exhaust right into the bay and causing the engine to heat fast. In fixing the EGR, the bold connecting to the exhaust manifold broke. 

To fix the EGR and Exhaust Manifold, you must take off the Intake Manifold. Knowing that, I decided I wanted to convert it to carbureted instead of fuel injection. I started working on that removing the intake manifold, radiator and alternator.

I just learned that my vision for the car wont fly in Colorado with the new emissions regulations having a hard start in 1975.

This kind of breaks my dream for this car, and considering i think it would be best with someone else. If you have a solution please let me know. If you have an offer, I welcome all. 

At the very least, I love to talk about these cars

• Advertiser
    SupremeCling
  • Date
    11/30/2021
  • Price
    $10,000
  • Category
  • Year
  • Model
    280z
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

• Sad 1

Well, that's a bummer.  Looks like a nice car with no major problems.  Add more pictures, a lot of them, with closeups (the single image you posted is from a distance), and you'll probably sell it pretty quick.

Nothing wrong with hanging around if you sell your Z (I think).

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tweeds said:

Shame you gotta let it go on such terms... I remember the post you made when you got it - you seemed real jazzed for it. Hey, at least you get to say you owned a z for a little while!

I am still pretty excited about the Z, and if I had 10k more I would probably just go buy a 240z and keep both of these. Right now I am kind of 50/50 on the car and am going to keep restoring it until someone buys it or I fix it all the way. But with the emissions details I just learned, it won't be the "dream" car I thought of and so would rather sink my time into one that achieves that vision if I have the choice.

Don't get me wrong, I will never not love the s30's! 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, AZDatsun said:

Can you register it as a classic car on insurance and bypass emissions we can in Arizona 

Unfortunately in Colorado their is a hard stop on classics starting in 1975.

To be considered a classic after 1975, the car has to have been registered as a classic prior to Sept. 1, 2009, and the registration has never lapsed or expired.

The alternate is if the car is 32 years old or older, where it then has to pass emissions once but can't exceed 4,500 miles a year.

In short, I have to fuel inject with EGR and pass emissions

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Well, that's a bummer.  Looks like a nice car with no major problems.  Add more pictures, a lot of them, with closeups (the single image you posted is from a distance), and you'll probably sell it pretty quick.

Nothing wrong with hanging around if you sell your Z (I think).

image.png

More photos

IMG_20210827_182902.jpg

IMG_20210827_182907.jpg

IMG_20210823_200305.jpg

@SupremeCling They make replacement EGR assemblies and reinstalling FI is both simple and relatively affordable plus you can make some performance upgrades / QOL improvements along the way. Having someone repair your broken exhaust stud is probably $100-200 depending on how much disassembly you are willing to do (ask me how I know 😛). 

Plus for what you get selling your carbs, you can probably pay for most of the FI system assuming you still have the stock harness and ECU.  

One other thing to look into might be is registering your vehicle as a "street rod." Not sure what the certification process entails, but it looks like they are exempt from emissions. If you are interested in modifying the existing engine, maybe you can qualify for that?  

Good luck, stay with the hobby if you can. I sold my 300ZX more than a decade ago because I felt overwhelmed and I have regretted it ever since. 

Which vehicles are exempt from an emissions inspection in Colorado?

Additionally, the following vehicle are exempt from an emissions inspections:

• Kit cars,
  • all-electric vehicles,
  • motorcycles,
  • horseless carriage, 
  • vehicles registered as street rods
  • farm vehicles 

21 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I am not following what the problem is, is it not possible to just fix the orig problem? fuel injection and emissions on these cars are pretty simple, and when sorted out they works well. 

The main problem is that I really want carburetors  

19 hours ago, Muzez said:

@SupremeCling They make replacement EGR assemblies and reinstalling FI is both simple and relatively affordable plus you can make some performance upgrades / QOL improvements along the way. Having someone repair your broken exhaust stud is probably $100-200 depending on how much disassembly you are willing to do (ask me how I know 😛). 

Plus for what you get selling your carbs, you can probably pay for most of the FI system assuming you still have the stock harness and ECU.  

One other thing to look into might be is registering your vehicle as a "street rod." Not sure what the certification process entails, but it looks like they are exempt from emissions. If you are interested in modifying the existing engine, maybe you can qualify for that?  

Good luck, stay with the hobby if you can. I sold my 300ZX more than a decade ago because I felt overwhelmed and I have regretted it ever since. 

Which vehicles are exempt from an emissions inspection in Colorado?

Additionally, the following vehicle are exempt from an emissions inspections:

• Kit cars,
  • all-electric vehicles,
  • motorcycles,
  • horseless carriage, 
  • vehicles registered as street rods
  • farm vehicles 

I just disassembled the N47 intake manifold off of the head, and started to work on the rest. Then discovered about 4 days later about the specific details around emissions. It was a pain!

The sale is currently pending, with a down payment. Now looking for a 240z!

• Like 1