IGNORED

78 4” speaker suggestions

AZDatsun

I am looking for a pair of 4” speakers for the spot below the quarter panel windows on the 78 280z anyone have a suggestion for what they have or like for that spot. I am not sure how deep it is and also looks like I can’t have a tweeter that extends past flush or it would hit the panel cover

I can't remember whether it was 4 or 4.5" Kenwoods that I put in my 77' pillars but it doesn't need to be too fancy IMO.  If you've got a throaty exhaust then you sound system is going to be overwhelmed every time you push the pedal.

• Agree 1

What did you decide?  I need to put new speaker there too.  Those Pyles are on Amazon for $31.   Crutchfiield has a large selection too.  
Cliff any mods to make that speak fit?   How is the sound?  I’m tired to removing and install8ng things twice.  I just pulled those panels off and plan to put speakers in there and never pull it again.   

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

What did you decide?  I need to put new speaker there too.  Those Pyles are on Amazon for $31.   Crutchfiield has a large selection too.  
Cliff any mods to make that speak fit?   How is the sound?  I’m tired to removing and install8ng things twice.  I just pulled those panels off and plan to put speakers in there and never pull it again.   

From what I remember they bolted right up, no issues. There's a bracket that holds them.

Here you go! Thanks to @Dave WM for the video. You'll see the bracket in the first few seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

I put in the speakers I got and here are some pictures. I also took pics of what I assume are OEM speakers.  The back side of the one I pulled is the first picture. They screwed right in no issues at all66A19CDA-7DE9-4805-AB35-5EC6F7712095.jpeg2CB3D2FD-7DC7-404A-B05D-4F0D5279F097.jpegB02CCC3A-3856-41D4-989D-F0759FDF0D0D.jpegFC21F743-4803-49C0-BF0C-F3C1F49B1A14.jpeg

Edited by AZDatsun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the exact same speakers and installed them as well.   I’m still deciding on how I’m going to run this stereo system.  I like my music and have been spoiled in my wife’s car.  That is the nicest stereo I’ve even heard in a car in my life.  It’s amazing.  So I bought a new head unit while on a trip to Phoenix (Kenwood Execelon)  I’m not going for original on the stereo because I don’t have one and can’t get one for a reasonable price.  I’m deciding on my speaker configuration.  I have the sloped rear deck so it complicates things and I don’t want to cut into my nice door cards.  MSA sells a front speaker kit that attaches to the kick panels.  I’m worried it might interfere with my foot.  I also don’t really want to put them in the tool compartments on the rear deck facing up.  I’m really making eliminating my options.  If I convert the rear deck to flat I can put speakers on the back near the lights.  I know most guys on here want the stock stereo system but I can’t roll like that,  i can’t drive a long distance and listen to one speaker like I’m in a tin can.  I also want to be able to stream my Spotify music.  It requires abandoning the 1977 configuration.  You can shame me at ZCON. 

• Like 2