IGNORED

Car will not start

Wally

It's a bit confusing, Wally.  The TDC occurs twice-once is the exhaust stroke and with the valve cover off the exhaust lobe points down and the exhaust valve is open.  The next crankshaft revolution will be TDC on the compression stroke.  The lobes will be just as in the picture siteunseen sent you. The distributor only rotates once and the crank twice.

You can rotate the crank with a breaker bar and socket on the damper bolt if all the plugs are out.  You can also accomplish this by putting the car in gear (stick shift) and rocking it.  Check the timing mark and see where the rotor is pointing.  It appears you are out of phase.

• Like 2

You could also get a remote starter button and bump it from under the hood. No helper needed

image.jpeg

I avoid asking my wife for help in this area because she doesn't like doing it and sometimes lacks finesse...

Edited by Patcon

lot of good information all. Appreciated. so here it what i am getting....

First, I need to remove the plugs, then put breaker bar on and turn a little until rotor is in #1 spot where it should be?

After that address the lobes, compression port or TDC things?

Remove plugs

Breaker bar until lobes on #1 are up and timing mark should be between 5-10 degrees

Post up a pic of where the rotor points at that time or pull the distributor and post a picture of the drive spindle under the distributor

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Remove plugs

Breaker bar until lobes on #1 are up and timing mark should be between 5-10 degrees

Post up a pic of where the rotor points at that time or pull the distributor and post a picture of the drive spindle under the distributor

will do as soon as i go buy a new breaker bar. 

When you say lobes "up" do you mean lobe 1 is straight up or lobes 1 & 2 are in the floppy bunny ears spot

Wally, the lobes push the rocker arms down which opens the valve.  There are 2 TDC. One will have the exhaust lobe down, pushing the rocker down and opnening the exhaust valve.  The second time around to TDC neither lobe will be pushing a rocker down, so both valves are closed. This is the compression stroke.  The fuel and air are sealed in the combustion chamber and it is ready for the spark.  Now you can check the position of the rotor.  While you bring the engine up to TDC on the compression stroke, watch the crank damper (or balancer) not the rotor.  Check the timing mark.  It dosen't need to be exact-anywhere between 0 an 15 degrees and it will start.  You can fine tune the timing after you get it running. The rotor is addressed next.

• Like 2