IGNORED

Car will not start

Wally

1 minute ago, Wally said:

working way thru list stuff here. rotor is quite bit off...should be pointing where green top is. I did remove oil pump and distributor.... 

does this mean i put it back in wrong?

IMG_2903.jpg

Well, if you have #1 at TDC on the compression stroke, yes, you put the oil pump and distributor back in wrong.

It looks off, and probably one crankshaft revolution.  It has to sync with the oil pump so there is some trial and error involved.  You can verify the compression stroke on #1 by taking off the valve cover and checking that the cam lobes are not opening the valves on #1.  Get the engine on the #1 compression stroke and rotate the engine, by hand with the plugs out until the timing mark on the damper is between 0 and 10 degrees on the timing tab then set the distributor back in place with the rotor pointing at the # 1 plug wire.

• Like 1

There's a way to set the spindle in the pump I learned in the "Monroe how to" book. You go half a bolt counter clockwise when instslling then it falls dead on when you bolt it up. Let me see if I can find that...

Here's a thread that might help then the whole Google search below that. Good luck. It's really easy once you wrap your head around the process.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+monroe's+how+to+rebuild+a+nissan+oil+pump+alignment+siteunseen+classiczcars.com+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwif7cPQ_vDzAhVTQkIHHS2EA0QQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=tom+monroe's+how+to+rebuild+a+nissan+oil+pump+alignment+siteunseen+classiczcars.com+&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzoFCCEQqwJKBQg9EgExUM4OWLc3YNhDaABwAHgBgAHnAYgB-guSAQUwLjkuMZgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=oqB8YZ-UBNOEieoPrYiOoAQ&bih=449&biw=320&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&prmd=svixn

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, siteunseen said:

There's a way to set the spindle in the pump I learned in the "Monroe how to" book. You go half a bolt counter clockwise when instslling then it falls dead on when you bolt it up. Let me see if I can find that...

Here's a thread that might help then the whole Google search below that. Good luck. It's really easy once you wrap your head around the process.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+monroe's+how+to+rebuild+a+nissan+oil+pump+alignment+siteunseen+classiczcars.com+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwif7cPQ_vDzAhVTQkIHHS2EA0QQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=tom+monroe's+how+to+rebuild+a+nissan+oil+pump+alignment+siteunseen+classiczcars.com+&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzoFCCEQqwJKBQg9EgExUM4OWLc3YNhDaABwAHgBgAHnAYgB-guSAQUwLjkuMZgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=oqB8YZ-UBNOEieoPrYiOoAQ&bih=449&biw=320&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&prmd=svixn

I'm glad I tagged you, Cliff.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KeysZ said:

It looks off, and probably one crankshaft revolution.  It has to sync with the oil pump so there is some trial and error involved.  You can verify the compression stroke on #1 by taking off the valve cover and checking that the cam lobes are not opening the valves on #1.  Get the engine on the #1 compression stroke and rotate the engine, by hand with the plugs out until the timing mark on the damper is between 0 and 10 degrees on the timing tab then set the distributor back in place with the rotor pointing at the # 1 plug wire.

how can i rotate it by hand?

16 hours ago, siteunseen said:

so Madkaw said

TDC COMPRESSION STROKE!!!!!!

Pull #1 plug and shove a vacuum plug that just fits the hole in there. Turn over motor till that sucker shoots across the room- you found compression stroke . Now line everything up.

Do you agree. remove just 1st plug... put in a vacuum plug and turn the key until it blows out? Then its on compression #1 stroke?

I put rubber plug into #1 spark plug and had wife turn key. Holy crap heck....that thing shot out like a cannon.

It missed me thankfully. 

So i guess that means #1 is TDC now? or compression stroke? not even sure if they are the same thing?

After that i took off the valve cover. Lobe 1 appears straight down.

Not sure what all this means or what to do from here but its an update on where i am.

Also i took image of where rotor is now. My finger is area where #1 plug would be with cap on

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

Edited by Wally