IGNORED

New Oil Pump Installed, now hearing noise from engine?

Ownallday

As for static pressure from a pump, think of it as the compressed air inside a balloon.  The pressure is essentially uniform everywhere inside it.  The pressure inside ductwork of an HVAC system is similar, except the fluid is moving.  An oil pump creates a similar pressure that's  "essentially" uniform in the region near the OPS.  Static pressure is the force applied to all the sides of the containment vessel, and velocity pressure is the force of a blast of air, oil, etc directed at something, like a water hose against your car.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:40 PM, Zed Head said:

I thought that you were using a timing light, not timing by ear.  Without the numbers it's pretty easy to get stuck down a rabbit hole.

Yeah, didn't include that. I only tried messing with it to see if I can get the idle down which didn't work.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, siteunseen said:

If you turn it full clockwise and idle doesn't raise I think you're spindle drive rod is out of time too.

At 0 dead center the dizzy end of that spindle should look like this pic.

oilpumpshaft2_zpsebe3e89a.jpg

Did not have the opportunity to remove the dizzy today sadly. I was able to look at the spark plugs though and confirm the car is running insanely rich for the most part. As for the sound issue I stated I think it might actually be my starter. I went to start the car today and the car made a really loud knock, I legit thought my motor somehow blew up and it made the sound again but less aggressive the second time trying to start it. It started the third time I cranked the car without making any noise. I think the mechanism that moves the starter back away from the flywheel might potentially be getting stuck or something. I am going to replace the starter anyhow since it's one of the few parts on the car I have yet to actually replace or restore. I will update whenever I have time to check timing again or replace starter whichever comes first.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, siteunseen said:

A lot of chain store staters are junk. Hope that's your problem, cheap fix. If you return the noisy one for another have them bench test it before you accept it. 

Good luck.

I'm sure the auto zone one wouldn't hurt. No harm as I know my starter should've been replaced when I rebuilt the motor. I believe its the only bolt on that hasn't been replaced yet on my car.

8 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

Sounds like a rotational rattle, from 0:58-1:08 there is a rattle that follows when you blip the throttle. Does it happen when you are not moving around? Did you ever get around to checking the timing?

Yeah that was the only moment you can really hear it in the video. Sadly my dash decided to rattle on that drive. But yeah it's that rotational noise. I can only replicate that noise while driving and in gear. Timing I will get to most likely next week on Tuesday. I'm gonna throw motor back to tdc and perform a valve lash when I do all that. I'll update then.

1 minute ago, Ownallday said:

Yeah that was the only moment you can really hear it in the video. Sadly my dash decided to rattle on that drive. But yeah it's that rotational noise. I can only replicate that noise while driving and in gear. Timing I will get to most likely next week on Tuesday. I'm gonna throw motor back to tdc and perform a valve lash when I do all that. I'll update then.

Did you ever check the timing? That will tell us a-lot. Do you have a timing light at home? Really need to have a base line here.

Thought I'd come and update. I replaced the belt (I noticed it was starting to tear a little) didn't fix the sound. I went ahead and finally got my starter delivered, installed it and sadly that was not the issue. My car does start a lot better and faster now though and it no longer hits my flywheel so that's a plus

This Tuesday I will be performing a valve adjustment, taking off the oil pump and swapping with the old one, and getting the motor back at tdc when I reinstall everything and check timing again once that's all done. I will update then.

• Like 1