IGNORED

New Oil Pump Installed, now hearing noise from engine?

Ownallday

35 minutes ago, Yarb said:

I’d probably go reverse order on your pump install and see what you have. Those crickets are coming from somewhere. Could it be possible the plastic gear not meshing properly creating the noise?

Okay, I am going to call MSA before I do anything and ask them if that sound is normal and will check my spark plugs to see if I can see signs of possible ping. If the sound isn't normal and I see no signs of lean condition then I will reinstall my old one and see what changes

18 minutes ago, AZDatsun said:

Do you still have your old pump? Put it back and start it and listen did it change anything then you have eliminated the pump as the issue

Yes, I will do the above first and go from there. Tuesday would be the day I can throw the old one back on so I will update then

I tip on oil pump, don't remove the spindle, just remove the dizzy so you can grab the top of the spindle with something (dont go beast mode on this, you dont want to damage just keep in from dropping).  then unbolt and remove the pump. install by looking rotating the pump drive so it can line up with the spindle that is still in the engine. 

• Agree 1

Does it sound like the noise in this video?  That's a shaft rubbing on a dry bushing/bearing surface.   Not good.  You might also check your belts and other bearings.  I think the AC belt idler pulley bearing often makes this sound too.

About 2:50.

3 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I tip on oil pump, don't remove the spindle, just remove the dizzy so you can grab the top of the spindle with something (dont go beast mode on this, you dont want to damage just keep in from dropping).  then unbolt and remove the pump. install by looking rotating the pump drive so it can line up with the spindle that is still in the engine. 

Okay I'll will tackle this on Tuesday if the problem isn't solved by then. Before prior I didn't hold the spindle from the top. One thing I should mention is I actually forgot to grease or lube the spindle and gear but not sure if that is necessary, I didn't do it when I rebuilt the engine.

11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Does it sound like the noise in this video?  That's a shaft rubbing on a dry bushing/bearing surface.   Not good.  You might also check your belts and other bearings.  I think the AC belt idler pulley bearing often makes this sound too.

About 2:50.

It doesn't sound like that. I can only hear it in the cabin while driving the car. To me it sounds more like potentially a tapping or clicking noise then a squealing noise or chirp noise. Belt is new wasn't making the sound prior to the oil pump Install and oil change. Which bearings specifically? I didn't grease or lube the oil pump spindle, not sure if that could be the cause?

The distributor rotates pretty easy, no resistance there. so if you didn't hold the distributor rotor, I think there's every chance that its not at the same timing it was. 

I mean, all you did was take off and refit the oil pump and distributor timing shaft, and now it idles considerably higher. timing. and its easy to prove one way or another. 

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, Ownallday said:

Is that normal?

No.  Your best option might be to just remove the pump and inspect the parts for wear. 

As far as the perceived performance improvement. if you timed it before then you should know what the timing was before you changed the pump.  Just check it again and see what it is now.  Advancing ignition timing can definitely give an engine more pep if it was less than optimum before.

Speaking for myself, you’re taking a chance by still running that engine until you find out exactly where it coming from. If you didn’t have any strange noise until you’ve made a change then likely it’s something you’ve changed or altered. Good luck with your findings. Please report back.

3 hours ago, jonbill said:

The distributor rotates pretty easy, no resistance there. so if you didn't hold the distributor rotor, I think there's every chance that its not at the same timing it was. 

I mean, all you did was take off and refit the oil pump and distributor timing shaft, and now it idles considerably higher. timing. and its easy to prove one way or another. 

Okay, I'll most likely just back track my work Tuesday. I tried adjusting timing yesterday but there was no change to my idle which was strange.

3 hours ago, AZDatsun said:

Does the noise change with RPM? Does it only happen while in gear or also while in neutral?

I can't hear it in neutral, however it does get faster as the engine revs higher while driving. I only hear it while pressing the gas pedal too.

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

No.  Your best option might be to just remove the pump and inspect the parts for wear. 

As far as the perceived performance improvement. if you timed it before then you should know what the timing was before you changed the pump.  Just check it again and see what it is now.  Advancing ignition timing can definitely give an engine more pep if it was less than optimum before.

That'll be the plan, I'll have to drive it one last time back to my job since I can lift the car easier there. I timed it a long time ago, actually a friend of mine timed it when he was getting a baseline tune for my triple webers. I had messed with it yesterday to see if changing it would decrease or increase idle and nothing changed

34 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Speaking for myself, you’re taking a chance by still running that engine until you find out exactly where it coming from. If you didn’t have any strange noise until you’ve made a change then likely it’s something you’ve changed or altered. Good luck with your findings. Please report back.

I won't be driving the car, only going to drive it one last time on Tues to bring it to work to work on it. It has to be related to the oil pump or spindle is my guess or the timing. Basically gonna start from scratch most likely. I'll post whatever I find.

1 hour ago, Ownallday said:

I tried adjusting timing yesterday but there was no change to my idle which was strange.

I thought that you were using a timing light, not timing by ear.  Without the numbers it's pretty easy to get stuck down a rabbit hole.

Edited by Zed Head
+ easy
  • Agree 3