IGNORED

Fiberglass glove box

Seppi72

OK.  How thick is the PS sheet material?  The cardboard is 2 mm.  I think it would be not problem to reinforce the PS shell with fiberglass afterwards because there do not appear to be too many, if any, critical dimensions for this part.  I mean, after all, Nissan used cardboard.  Geesh.

I'm happy to report that ETI4K has now taken my initial glove box dimensions and created 3-D renderings that he and I will now "clean up" and create forming jigs. Once we get that done we should be able to recommend processes (1) for julitoMX_1964 to try with his thermoforming machine and (2) for me to try with FRP (fiber-reinforced polyester, the proper term for what folks colloquially call fiberglass).

• 3 weeks later...

I had some free time today so I decided to take apart the glove box from my 12'70 parts car to make a 3D model and flat patterns for templates. I also have a pristine glove box from the 7'70 I'm restoring. Between the two I should be able to do this quite accurately. I will upload the results to the cad files section in downloads on this site and also post updates here as I make progress. Here is what I have done so far...

image.png

• Like 1

Thanks, CanTechZ.  What you're doing will be quite helpful to julitoMX_1964 as I think it will be better for him to cut the top, back and bottom parts out of one piece of PVC or ABS sheet and bend it as needed at the edges.  I have been working with ETI4K to produce mold core models for julitoMX-1964's thermoforming the side pieces and for me to do one-piece FRP lay-ups of the whole box.

• 2 weeks later...