IGNORED

Stolen Z?

Humbug

Starting a list

Hotwire, slip it into neutral and push onto trailer, dig a hole underneath and let it drop into secret underground garage, helicopter lift via straps, tell tow truck driver to take it to your house, slip the owner a pill during dinner then take the keys, via hot air balloon lift but need to work out logistics. Bash out window and find the hidden key under the visor and start it,  Hope it’s a race car and starts via a flip switch…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you trying to figure out how to protect your Z?

1. Locked garage
  2. Armed security
  3. Live in a gated community with security
  4. Always park so the drive wheels are inaccessible
  5. Pull the rotor out of the distributor cap and put it in your pocket
  • Like 1

I didn’t realize my question was so ridiculous.
I’m currently replacing my ignition switch and am wondering how important it is to break off the special screws. That made me think of how these old cars are stolen. I see mention every now and then where someone says their car has been stolen. Sometimes they mention how, but often do not. 
So, I’m interested in how to protect my car against theft, and learning how cars have been taken would be helpful information. 

I didn’t realize my question was so ridiculous

People just cautious about letting the vast amount of knowledge we have here be used in a way to hurt someone s30 community.

if you don’t use those security screws it’s going to be easy to defeat the steering wheel lock. 

123ignitions have a Bluetooth security setting that kills the ignition.

Stealing a stock Z? For me... Gone in 60 seconds and I wouldn't care at all whether the security screws were broken off or not. You need something more elaborate than that.

2 hours ago, AZDatsun said:

Starting a list

Hotwire, slip it into neutral and push onto trailer, dig a hole underneath and let it drop into secret underground garage, helicopter lift via straps, tell tow truck driver to take it to your house, slip the owner a pill during dinner then take the keys, via hot air balloon lift but need to work out logistics. Bash out window and find the hidden key under the visor and start it,  Hope it’s a race car and starts via a flip switch…

Great list. Let me add...

Break a window, reach in and open the hood, disconnect the steering coupler donut, jumper the starter solenoid, and then use the starter to crank the car to your place while steering by kicking the front tires in the direction you want to go. Bring extra batteries just in case the PO was having alternator troubles. Or a charger and a really long extension cord.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The fact is these cars are easy to steal. Even today’s cars with chipped keys, and electronic gimcracks and gewgaws are easily stolen. 

If a thief wants something, there isn’t much keeping him from taking it short of an armed guard.

Locks are for honest people.

Me?

If I leave my Z anywhere that there is a concern for its security, I remove the coil wire and rotor. 

Of course that doesn’t stop a n’er do well from dragging it onto a trailer or flat deck wrecker and hauling it away.

Not sure its wise, but with all my vintage cars I have owned, I've always left them unlocked (short term stay). I figured since I dont leave anything worth value in my cars, its better to let them get in and rummage and leave, instead of sourcing windows, fixing scrapped paint and dents.

Like Speed Racers brother said, if someone wants in, there getting in, might as well soften the blow and cost.

I do like some of the camera tech thats out there now that records on any bump of the car or break in.

Edited by DC871F
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2