IGNORED

Getting the 73 Back on the Road

SteveJ

Tonight's goals were

1. Drain the old coolant out of the radiator
  2. Remove the carburetor cooling lines and plug the thermostat housing
  3. Replace the generic lower radiator hose with a properly formed one

This was a good thing to do. Many of the hoses for the carburetor coolant lines (and EGR) were just about rotten. I got the new lower radiator hose on, and with a lot of effort I got the hard line for the carburetor coolant lines removed. I bought a 5/8 elbow to replace the 3-way fitting, but I realized that I should have purchased a 3/4 elbow. After some sleuthing online, I found the 3/4 elbow and ordered it. The thermostat housing is plugged, and I can finish the rest after I get the elbow later this week.

While I'm waiting for the plumbing, I can start installing the LEDs that should start arriving tomorrow. I want to take some load off the parking light circuit.

If I'm lucky, the tires will be here before the end of the week, too.

So let's set a date. I think I should be ready for a shakedown cruise in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Yesterday I spent a little time to pick up a lot of the tools that were collecting around the car. Today I decided to address the horn issue. I bought some Hella horns, and I took off the first stock horn. After I unplugged it, I noticed the accumulation of 30+ years of dirt and corrosion. I took a wire brush to clean the electrical contacts and tested the horn. It worked just fine. So I put it back in the car. I pressed the horn button a couple of times, and the horn still worked. Okay, so the horn relay is good, too.

I unbolted the other horn, and it fell right into my hand after I removed the second bolt. It wasn't even hooked to its wire. D'oh! It's probably been like that for over 28 years. I cleaned the electrical contacts and bolted it back in. After a couple of presses on the horn button, the second horn came to life. Okay, I have spare horns, and tomorrow, I'll take delivery of a spare horn relay.

With the horn in working order, I took off the lug nuts and loaded the tires into the station wagon. Tomorrow the wife will take the tires to the tire store where they will be replaced with some Falken Azenis RT615K+ tires, 195/60R14. Yes, I found a performance type tire that will fit on the old Iron Cross wheel. So the old girl rests quietly waiting for the night.

20210826_203758.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Any leads on that tick?

I'm glad you asked. 😉 I checked the valve lash. By the way here's a chart I like to make before starting in order to keep track of what I have checked/adjusted. I just put an "X" for each one as I knock them out.

Valve Lash Chart.jpg

So I adjusted the valves. I finally have done it enough that I can do it quickly. LOL

After that I went to adjust the timing, and I could still hear the tick. I used a mechanic's stethoscope on the valve cover, and all of the sounds were nice. I took a short video and sent it to a very good friend who taught me a lot about wrenching on Zs. He confirmed one of my possible causes. He believes it's an exhaust leak. At least I can check that, and I probably have at least one intake/exhaust gasket lying about.

After Valve Adjustment.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I decided there was enough time in the day to do a few more little things to the Z. I changed the oil, inspected the reverse switch (no continuity in reverse), and changed out the sending unit at the gas tank.

Since I knew I replaced the reverse light switch many years ago, I decided to figure out if it might be a part number issue. I searched CarPartsManual.com for the reverse switches for the 4 speed and the 5 speed. A previous owner swapped in an early 5 speed. It's the same part number. I ordered the switch from Courtesy Nissan. I'm hoping that the aftermarket part I tried 24 years ago was just not made correctly. I'll find out in about a week or so.

Aside from trying the new switch when I get it and replacing the intake manifold gasket next Saturday, I'd say my odyssey of getting the 240Z back on the road is pretty much complete.

I owe a lot to my local friend, Tim McGovern, and all of the people who have posted here over the years, especially Philip @240260280, for all that I have learned. It's simply amazing all of the knowledge I have accumulated over the last 10 years.

• Like 4