Jump to content

IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28


Recommended Posts


Looks great

Thanks, I’ve been putting in about 4 hrs a day to get here. I got Covid at some point too in the process (yes I’m vaccinated), had to wait for parts, had to wait for powder coating. Tomorrow I’m going to install the flywheel, and clutch on new engine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Back from Europe and in the garage moving the Z ball down the field. Installed the Fidanza fly wheel and ran into a question when putting in the clutch pressure plate. The fly wheel came with three alignment pins. The FSM says the clutch pressure plate bolts are torques to 17 fly lbs. When I tighten the bolts to 17 it seem to bow the pressure plate. See pics. Not sure if this looks right? Anyone have a comment or clarification of my install procedure. Just looks wrong to me. In the below photo there are 2 yellow circles. Look at the distance between the pressure plate and flywheel. The side with the pin is much further away from the flywheel.
Thanks c02ac24b13a91fcc99acd15c4ecc11c6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tolerance between the dowel and the pressure plate is off a bit.  Check for burrs on the dowels and PP holes.  The dowels should be snug but should not impede the PP from clamping down tight against the flywheel.  If you must, gently file the holes just enough so they slide over the dowel pins.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Av8ferg said:

Okay makes sense. Those pins came with the flywheel. I’m going to pull of the ones from my old engine and see what they sit like. The pins are stepped also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have calipers?  If so, measure the OE pin diameter and the new pin diameter and see if they match.  When you say they are stepped, does the step sit flush with the flywheel?  If not, the PP will sit on the step and never seat against the flywheel.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old ones are not coming out without destroying them. If you loo at the ones that came with the Fidanza flywheel you will see they’re stepped. When fully seated you can see the step. Well the Exedy pressure plate won’t go over the step. So i think I may have to open up the hole on the plate to be able to fit pins through the pressure plate. Just to be clear there is no space that is supposed to between the flywheel and the plate mounting surface. I know it sounds like a dumb question because that would make no sense not just be 100% clear 4f48b8c11d921d2a14cd1bc3b0c266ec.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

 

Not sure, but is the dowel in far enough? I thought the dowel shoulder was flush with the flywheel surface. The shoulder prevents the dowel falling out once the pressure plate is fitted. Now the pressure plate is riding on the dowel shoulder.

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's your problem.  They are bottomed out in the flywheel, right?  Do the pressure plate holes match the smaller diameter of the dowels, or are they loose?  

Yes, they’re bottomed put, and yes the align perfectly. I’ve decided to shorten them with my grinder from 14mm to 10mm. The shoulder sticks out 4mm past flywheel surface af19d667765594f7e7d1d4091fd466b9.jpg
now. Was thinking like Chas that they would fly out if I just bored out the pressure plate holes and be bouncing around the tranny bell housing. 24b39dacd97eb294542199ab4fd1082a.jpg
They fit nicely ground down to 10mm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe Fidanza supplied dowels that are clearly the wrong ones for their flywheel.  I've never bought a Fidanza flywheel, so I can only assume they grabbed dowels from the wrong bin when they packaged it.

Glad shortening them worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe Fidanza supplied dowels that are clearly the wrong ones for their flywheel.  I've never bought a Fidanza flywheel, so I can only assume they grabbed dowels from the wrong bin when they packaged it.
Glad shortening them worked.

I agree, everyone is looking for quality workers these days. Not an easy task. Where I work we are sort thousands of workers and we can’t fill the positions...not even close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Getting that free money to stay home. Scary to think where you work is an open door to start a career and have benefits for a lifetime. Very Sad

I agree with you on the free money for the young folks but I've had about 25% taken out of my pay for over 30 years. I pay for public education but haven't any kids. My next door neighbors home school their kids and get some kind of tax refund. I do not get that refund money even though I have no kids.

Life sucks then we die they say. Bring it on!

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cliff....you gotta pay your fair share!
Public schools are for the benefit of all society not just our own kids. Your neighbors shouldn’t get a credit. We all live with the consequences of poor education.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

We all live with the consequences of poor education.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, look at our millitary, they'll take anybody over 18 and pass a physical. I do beleive in the 10% theory but the other 90% seems to set us up for failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, look at our millitary, they'll take anybody over 18 and pass a physical. I do beleive in the 10% theory but the other 90% seems to set us up for failure.

I wish it were true that is that easy to get recruits. I was briefed once by USMC manpower HQ and they said 82% of age eligible citizens do not meet the minimum qualifications to join the military. No HS Diploma, drug usage, law offenses,, weight, medical, allergies, psychological and then entry test scores. It’s that bad!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI, I installed a Fidenza flywheel a few months ago and had the same issue with the dowel pins.  One of the 3 fit properly, the two others were .002 bigger, the length was correct.  Had to machine the dowels to fit the flywheel pin holes.   The flywheel holes were correct, the pins were the problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the flywheel and plate - check that the plate cover did not get warped when you torqued it down.  It's probably fine, there's some flex but if it is significant you might consider replacing to avoid chatter. 

On the other stuff - wealth gap increasing, billionaires taking joyrides in to space while their workers barely make it, Marx and Engels.  You don't have to take a side to understand what's happening.  But people should understand what's happening before they take a side.  It's been studied and the things happening are not unexpected.  Free market competition is one facet of a complicated picture.  Winner take all just means lots of losers.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.