IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

Can you just go up to the next size on that one bolt? That's what I'd do. It's aluminum and easy to do. I put bigger ones on the exhaust and they cut in pretty easily just had to go slow. Foward then backed them out a few rounds and foward again. You could try that. Might have to wire brush the threads out of the bigger bolt, use some anti seize "slick-um" too. The heads are soft aluminum.

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

One of the upper intake bolts is partially stripped. It will lightly tighten but when I torque it it spins.

I have a memory of there being two short bolts and two long ones, of the four across the top.  Maybe you got a short one in a long hole.  And, if it is the right bolt but it is stripped, maybe there are usable threads left at the bottom of the hole, that a longer bolt will grab.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Av8ferg said:

Here are the motor mount from zcardepot.  Says they need modification?   Rock Auto had the Beck Arnley one for $10, wondering if they need modification too.  

4F2A71E8-2A6E-4785-9700-1E91ACC31E47.jpeg

I believe there is a locating pin on the later ones that isn’t on the earlier Zs.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I have a memory of there being two short bolts and two long ones, of the four across the top.  Maybe you got a short one in a long hole.  And, if it is the right bolt but it is stripped, maybe there are usable threads left at the bottom of the hole, that a longer bolt will grab.

Or maybe a shorter one? Can't remember the torque spec but it can't be much.

28 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I believe there is a locating pin on the later ones that isn’t on the earlier Zs.

The 280s don't have a problem with the line up pin but the 240s do. They went to a universal fit off the 280 dimensions but they won't sit in the 240 holes. I had to file my 240 pins down to get them in. On my 280 they fit. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, Mark Maras said:

Plywood and steel wheels purloined from street skates in the early sixties. Sixty years later a few of the old memories (scars) remain and remind me of the good old days of adrenaline fueled afternoons and the painful recoveries.

Our generation invented skateboards.

The next generation perfected them.

The generation has made a career of skateboarding.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:19 PM, Av8ferg said:

That’s a legit Old School one...amazing you kept it. I bought a new one Gator 2 years ago to ride with my kids. Boards are different these days. My son’s is on the left. My squadron gave me the one on the right.
c3f1ac48adfde503b597835a617db6c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice longboard.

Have you ever tried the street luge? A buddy modified a couple of longboards and we ran down a long, twisty road near his house.

Most enjoyable.

Nice longboard.
Have you ever tried the street luge? A buddy modified a couple of longboards and we ran down a long, twisty road near his house.
Most enjoyable.

I haven’t but I also don’t feel like being a cripple any time soon. As kids we used to “hillside” on our skateboards. I grew up in the Bay Area near San Francisco and we had serious winding hills where I lived. We would cannonball run down these hill that we’re over a mile long and we would weave down the hill sideways to slow down. We’d hit like 40 mph (had to tighten the trucks up big time to be stable) To do it we’d lay backwards and put one hand on the road. We had homemade gardening gloves what were massively wrapped in duck tape and had layers of plastic; the stuff used to protect the bottom of your skateboard. So you’d lay the glove down and push your trailing leg forward causing the board to skid sideways and slow down. You’d S turn like this all the way down the hill. It was epic fun but we had some close calls with oncoming traffic. Don’t tell me how I survived my childhood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Getting all the stars aligned for the big pull. Picked up a unused 1 ton engine hoist on CL for $100. Cheaper than renting one for a week. I’m sure there will be work stoppages and challenges I run into that could push my timeline out 30 days. Shooting for a week? Also got a leveler for $34 at Harbor Freight. I primed and painted my transmission to match the engine block yesterday. It’s looking good. I’ll start disconnects tomorrow.
-Cooling System
- Wiring
- Exhaust
- drive shaft from transmission
- slave cylinder
. Starter
-multiple misc items.
a3938a2959bceed85989a35f699539a6.jpg
b639eeafd90566c3333ca3864ff6e7e7.jpg

• Like 4