IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

21 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Parts are littered all over my garage.

That's what your wife said. Stop repeating what she says.

"Parts are properly placed on the garage floor while waiting on parts for re-assembly (I just have to move and hide this stuff before she gets home)"

I know she wouldn't say that!

Ha! Her comment was more to the effect of: “what the heck is all this crap in the garage....it’s a walking hazard”

b3dc2b58bf60f5f78a761d564eb496bc.jpg

I told her this is the cocoon phase like a butterfly, it’s get worse before it gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks great!
You think you're gonna need help get it running?    default_beer.gif  

I’m already in way over my head! Help is always appreciated. Don’t worry if you’re a member of the forum and I have your number don’t be surprised by a call for assistance.

Today’s accomplishments:
-Tension Rods installed
-Sway bar installed
-Cleaned up and put POR-15 under clutch master area of body that had surface rust (will paint 110 Red tomorrow) . Need to do that under battery but that’s harder because the tray is welded in. No holes here or flaking just metal just stripped off paint with rust. Need a plan here.
- cleaned and painted the brake booster will install post paint under clutch master area.

Time to work on house projects so I get some credit when my wife get home.
  • Like 1

Here’s a pic of the battery tray area. Not pretty but it’s all really solid metal. It’s just going to difficult to get in all the nooks and grannies. I have a mild case of OCD so it’s hard to turn away and leave it as is.

7fc78ef0896db5a6966e9b1ba83970dd.jpg

To me, the best way to restore the battery area is to drill out the spot welds and remove the tray. If you do this, buy a nice, properly sized spot weld drill bit and extender, and practice removing spot welds without drilling through the body. You will then need to weld up the holes in the battery frame...or buy a new one.  I use rivet nuts to re-attach the tray to the body.

Not saying you should do this though. It is a pretty big rabbit hole because you will probably want to clean up those passenger side frame rails too...which is difficult without removing the fuel / brake lines and harness that passes through the firewall.

Nice car.

• Like 2

I’m leaving for a work trip is a few hours but managed to complete all the paint touch up work in the engine bay. Hopefully when I get back my Eibach Springs will be here and I can move forward with suspension and then the engine.

Battery tray came out “okay” I’d give it C at best but it serves the purpose to stop further rusting and be a little cleaner. In the end, it’s an engine bay, so I’m not going to be too bothered by some paint flaws. I know all the rust in there is properly addressed and I can move forward. I can live with this.

8de7f043c14caaea8f68dd34dce70e52.jpg

651426784bd0aa2829842f55b693dfb7.jpg

• Like 4

Question for you guys. In my final prep of the engine bay ( waiting on my springs that are scheduled to arrive Monday) I pulled off the metal bracket that the fuse link mount too, so I could get it powder coated (guy did it for $10). While pulling it out I was looking at the items attached to is and I was wondering if you guys can identify these things. One looks like some sort of relay possibly a capacitor off to the side which has a wire broken off. There is another box below those. In both pics you can see the wire missing on item 2.

9a64719ec17c096229d8b027228ad444.jpg
aff73f562de44845dab6734e6e06e3b3.jpg