IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

Today’s mission.  Remove the front suspension.  Now that the engine is out I can see what a mess it is.  I had already bought all new rubber, ball joints etc…but had planned on doing that later but with the engine out I think I need to do it now.   I have a local powder coating guy that I’ll take all the parts too to have coated including the cross member.  I live near the beach…the salt air is relentless.  

Now once I have the suspension off should I do the struts?  I’m sure I need new ones.  The next question do you just keep it stock or buy coilovers?  What are you guys running and/or recommend?  I don’t like the big fender gap I have but it’s not a big deal.  I mostly want a nice driving, fun street car.  Does the Z rabbit hole end?  

Edited by Av8ferg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Today’s mission.  Remove the front suspension.  Now that the engine is out I can see what a mess it is.  I had already bought all new rubber, ball joints etc…but had planned on doing that later but with the engine out I think I need to do it now.   I have a local powder coating guy that I’ll take all the parts too to have coated including the cross member.  I live near the beach…the salt air is relentless.  

Now once I have the suspension off should I do the struts?  I’m sure I need new ones.  The next question do you just keep it stock or buy coilovers?  What are you guys running and/or recommend?  I don’t like the big fender gap I have but it’s not a big deal.  I mostly want a nice driving, fun street car.  Does the Z rabbit hole end?  

You are walking down a path. Pull engine. Replace transmission. Clean engine bay. Rework the front suspension.

Next stop, rear suspension.

Where does it end?

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

Just lower it 1 1/2", lowering springs such as Eibachs with KYB struts unless you want to spring for Koni's.  I run Eibach's and illuminas, perfect gap, with 205 55 16's - no rubbing.  Replace the rack bushings if needed, and if you do the TC rod bushings, rubber on the back side, not all polly.

Don't forget the beefier sway bars, the rear makes the biggest difference.  Or atleast replace the bushings.

Your wife would approve of electric power steering ....  LOL

Jim, thanks just wanted I needed to hear. The thought of cutting my struts to put coilovers on didn’t seem like something I wanted to do. I’m going to research your suggestion.

And it’s always about the journey and not the destination, but at some point I do want to enjoy it. So no more mission creep for me.
Like you said Jim. Get the engine bay cleaned up, replace the engine rework the front end suspension and steering and enjoy it until the winter hits and then tackle the rear end.
Wife hasn’t complained about the car at all. We’ve had several visitors to the house and every one of the men always talk about how much they love the Z. My wife is hearing it and realizes it’s not exactly the POS she thought it was . Still hates the Viper though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you use a small bottle jack or some kind of jack under the "A" arms to take the drop down load off it'll make things a lot easier to work on. I figured that out changing the tie rods. Just jack it up enough to level out the weight, none down and none up. You'll see what I mean if you give it a try.

Whoops! Stub axle up front. "A" arms in the back.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1