IGNORED

Reproduction E-Brake Cable failure -70-78 Z

zKars

Here's today's ZCD picture.  Looks like they went to a one piece end as madkaw said.  The old picture from hybridz is below it.  Looks like MSA has the same vendor as ZCD used to have.  Crimped/punched collars that slip off when used.

image.png

image.png

No product failure is ever welcomed, and we will certainly be talking to the manufacturer about this one, and continue to monitor them. We're of course very sorry that both of your products had obvious issues. We have sold over 180 of them since 2016, and these are the first two alerts we know of concerning this issue (possibly 3 assuming the one from Hybrid was the same manufacturer, which is hard to tell for sure, since there have been a few similar options on Ebay over the past couple of years, some of which are no longer around). Hopefully it is not more than 2-3 out of 180 and not indicative of a mass or new problem, we'll certainly look carefully at the next batch we receive. As far as we know the rest of the 180 that were installed are working fine to this day. If other members have had the same issue with this style, please let us know. Certainly Greg and this company have not stayed in business for over 40 years by ignoring reports like this, they are all taken seriously, and again, we'll make sure the manufacturer is aware of it.

We do apologize, Madkaw, for the delays. Being severely short-handed for over a year now, Greg himself is having to take care of all the returns, along with a number of other missing staff positions, and we have been quite overwhelmed and behind. Sorry that it took extra time to get everything processed. We're working as hard as we can, and working hard to find more team members at the same time.

We of course responded personally to zKars, and are processing his refund now.

As a side note, unfortunately James has been on a leave of absence since mid last year, so if you have, or do, try to message him, unfortunately he won't see it. We're also hopeful that James might be able to return at some point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joseph@TheZStore said:

No product failure is ever welcomed, and we will certainly be talking to the manufacturer about this one, and continue to monitor them. We're of course very sorry that both of your products had obvious issues. We have sold over 180 of them since 2016, and these are the first two alerts we know of concerning this issue (possibly 3 assuming the one from Hybrid was the same manufacturer, which is hard to tell for sure, since there have been a few similar options on Ebay over the past couple of years, some of which are no longer around). Hopefully it is not more than 2-3 out of 180 and not indicative of a mass or new problem, we'll certainly look carefully at the next batch we receive. As far as we know the rest of the 180 that were installed are working fine to this day. If other members have had the same issue with this style, please let us know. Certainly Greg and this company have not stayed in business for over 40 years by ignoring reports like this, they are all taken seriously, and again, we'll make sure the manufacturer is aware of it.

We do apologize, Madkaw, for the delays. Being severely short-handed for over a year now, Greg himself is having to take care of all the returns, along with a number of other missing staff positions, and we have been quite overwhelmed and behind. Sorry that it took extra time to get everything processed. We're working as hard as we can, and working hard to find more team members at the same time.

We of course responded personally to zKars, and are processing his refund now.

As a side note, unfortunately James has been on a leave of absence since mid last year, so if you have, or do, try to message him, unfortunately he won't see it. We're also hopeful that James might be able to return at some point.

It's a poor design and should be discontinued. I guarantee there have been many more failures , but some customers don't even realize it -until maybe their car rolls away. A partial fail won't be noticed until its too late. It should NOT be a 2 piece design for an emergency brake cable .   

I’d like to thank Joseph and the Z store for prompt and professional handling of this matter. My requested refund is bring processed and Joseph has responded to me personally. Thank you.

• Like 2

It's just been burned in to my brain by the fact that my parking brake would barely slow the car down no matter how hard I pulled.  It would be useless in an emergency.  

On the other hand though, I had a friend with a 70's Celica (in the 70's) and another friend would grab the lever and lock up the back wheels while we were cruising down the road at 40 mph.  Just for fun.  So mine probably could have used some work.

Still, it's designed for parking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-FAIRLADY-260Z-280Z-PARKING-HAND-BRAKE-CABLE-EMERGENCY-/151459145571
from AK260 above.

I ordered this cable from ebay as suggested above to check it for fitment and quality. 

I am very very impressed. Ordered Jun 23, arrived July 5th. Paid $102.53 CAD shipped and customs fees paid.

Design is nearly identical to the OEM cable. Even came with a new pair of pins for the wheel end. 

@Joseph@TheZStoreI would suggest considering investigating if you can source these cables. Highly recommended them.

• Like 4