IGNORED

74 260z distributor on wrong ??

1 hour ago, Shawninvancouver said:If abs when those line up will the marks on the pulley wheel also line up where they are supposed to?

I don’t know what a “pulley wheel” is.

The engine has a crankshaft pulley, at the front of the engine. It has a timing mark on it that should indicate 0 degrees, and when lined up with the timing pointer will either be #1 cylinder top dead center on the compression stroke (both valves closed) or #1 cylinder on the exhaust stroke. Set it and confirm #1 top dead center compression stroke by observing the cam lobes. If it isn’t there, turn the engine over (with a socket and ratchet) one revolution to get top dead center.

Then observe the tang on the distributor drive spindle to confirm if it is in the proper position.

Simple.

And yes, the cam sprocket has a timing mark, and the chain has two bright links, used for the initial engine setup. Once the engine has been run, those marks only line up again every few hundred revolutions. 

So don’t focus on that.

Thanks racer.  About the distributor drive spindle being “ in the proper position” why did someone say there really is no proper position as all it will do is change where the #1 spark plug goes. ? If by some chance someone put the spindle in wrong or off a few teeth it should still work? I don’t want to mess with oil pump. So most say it should be at 11:25 position. Is it ever anything else? By aligning my crank shaft pulley at 0 the spindle was at like 1:35. Then I rotated crank shaft pulley one revolution and marked at 0 again. Abs looked at spindle again and it was at 1:35 again.  Can the pully timing mark be different then if I take valve cover off abs try to find tdc using the timing chain mark ??

does that make sense??

I still don’t get one thing. As seen in photo attached  crankshaft pully clearly seen at 0 and spindle is 1:35. I did one full rotation and marked at 0 abs pully at 0. So one of those was compression stroke right? And on both of those the spindle showed 1;35.  Why is it doing that and not 11:25?? What could be going on? 

AFFF555C-1A83-4C83-A6D3-4C14AD9F1508.jpeg

F6B7FB74-7F1F-4EBA-A629-077A0EB0D894.jpeg

DD5E8C59-3FB1-414E-AEE4-CAE68C9496CA.jpeg

15E54F4E-DD82-4ED0-BC9B-DA5F36267202.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Ok patcon. So the only reason I am taking valve cover off is to make sure first piston is up and 2 lobes pointing up?

Correct.

Be sure and remove the #1 spark plug and verify the piston is all the way up.

Dont get sidetracked,  just give us the feedback we're asking for

• Like 2