IGNORED

74 260z distributor on wrong ??

yes - there was a screw holding the dizzy down.. i took it off - dizzzy was in good shape - all wires ok... not sure if oil pump was ever even taken off  - but when i got this beast it had spark plug wires on it that did not even reach #6 - all the wires to the coil were wrong ( not done as shown in fsm ) . so this car has been rigged up backwards...  

does it look like i need to drop oil pump or not - i hope not..

Edited by Shawninvancouver

That distributor looks like a reman, or somebody did a really good job of cleaning it up.  It seems like the plate on the bottom of the distributor might be upside down.  If you install the distributor so that it looks like one of site's earlier pictures, that hole should be directly under the adjustment slot in the distributor plate.

Take a picture of the bottom of the distributor and post it.  After you confirm that piston #1 is on the compression stroke.

Don't worry about the wires.  Wires are easy.  Honest.  Get those mechanical parts right first.

• Like 2

its a great thought that it was  in 180deg off.. but if i flipped the plate around all the original wires would never reach... its so weird.. here are more photo of it... and honestly.. i swear up and down  - there is no mark for  #1 on that cap.  i have gone over it for marks , lines, numbers etcc

dis2.jpg

dis3.jpg

dis4.jpg

dis5.jpg

distr - Copy.jpg

distr.jpg

distr1.jpg

ignition.jpg

The way the cap is made it will only fit one way and snap down. If your's doesn't have the marker line no problem. The cap fits down 1 way. only. You can not fix this by moving the cap around, it will not snap into place.

You need to listen to what every bodies telling you. You came here for help, we're trying but you don't seem to understand that. No short cuts.

20210605_182942.jpg

• Like 2

A word of caution, most of us here are old and tired. We have dealt with these issues for years. We have asked you do certain things. If you will do those things we ask, in order and show the results, we will get this fixed. If that doesn't happen the help will dry up!

• Like 2

ok I got ya all ... when i said if the mounting plate was flipped around and the "wires" would not reach. i meant the green power wires to he dizzy, not the spark plug cables. If any of you have seen a dizzy with the  square rubber plug that the wires slide through on the dizzy,  located towards the drivers side fender, show me,. of the few i have seen the rubber slot is near  the radiator, i will look for some photos to see what i can see...also, trust me i know the dizzy cap only goes on one way, i am crystal clear on that..  but i am also used to a marking for #1.. this cap has no such marking  what so ever, no line, no #1, no star no nothing...  I will take valve cover off tomrrow and find tdc.. when piston is up, are valves up or down for tdc??? thanks again guys and i hope to solve this soon.. but even if i get dizzy on right i may still not have spark due to pick up ot electronic unit....  grrrrr

also something i missed, is there another mounting plate on the bottom of the distributor?? also the plate mounted to the engine????  oh man -  i had no clue about that  - i thought you meant the plate mounted to engine was on wrong... geeesh  i will take a photo of bottom of dizzy....  🙂

distr - Copy.jpg

distr.jpg

distr1.jpg

Edited by Shawninvancouver

When the #1 piston, closest to the radiator, is at TDC the #1 cam shaft lobes will both be pointing upwards. Both valves will be closed.

Then take a picture of the drive spindle

Don't rotate the engine again until the mechanical parts are all properly installed.

Also take the #1 sparkplug out and make sure the piston is all the way at the top when the timing mark lines up at 0 degrees (TDC)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will take valve cover off and try my best to get tdc.  When the cover is off is there also a mark near the cam chain or timing chain? If abs when those line up will the marks on the pulley wheel also line up where they are supposed to?

and once all lined up should I put the dizzy back on and  see where the rotor points to?? And that will be #1 spot??