IGNORED

How obsessed are you?

ScaryFast

I have come to realize just how big of a part my car is in my life. I got my job at a Nissan shop so I could provide it with parts for cheap. Every paycheck goes into it is some way or an other. Just the other night I was talking to it on the way back from emissions testing. It wasn't just a few comments of so, but a full on conversation on what I will do for it if it stops giving me hell. I am not driving it right now and i feel like I am neglecting it and feel bad every time I look at it sitting there so eager to go fast. Just last night, I had a dream where I was driving it to speed world (local drag strip) and was driving like a raped ape through sun city (retirement community W/ 35mph speed limits and the great great decaying population) I woke up before I got to where I was going, but it was still good.

I guess my obsession with my Z goes deeper than some would call healthy, but everyone need their fix.

My obsession runs deep infact I feel it's unhealthy it's become my wife in many ways and even my girlfriend has said I love it more than her.:love: which isn't really true but I do feel bad when I haven't washed it. I hate driving it when it's out of tune, I feel bad after revving her hard like 5,500rpm 6000rpm but I do admit it's so much fun hearing her scream.

I can't stand the dents I can only see on certain angles, I polish it by hand because I feel it does a better job but it takes me hours to complete.

There are a couple of dents in my chassis from someone running over something that will probably force me to strip the car down at some stage just to make them straight again.

I won't go on I think i'm gonna embarrass myself here.

ROFL.

Is it good to know your not the only one?LOL

I have spent a fair portion of every pay packet I've earnt on my Z since I've had it (March 1996).

Dad convinced me to buy it as 'it would be fun to work on'.

He's a bad influence, if I look into his backyard, I see 2x240Z's being restored, a 1200 ute, a Fairlady 1500 Roadster and his 510 4-door (which sees as much track time as he can afford). My DR30 & MR30 Skylines are out the front, my sisters' Pulsar GTiR is in the driveway too, there's also a 510 2-door import in storage interstate....

And one of my friends could rock up in an R31 Skyline, a brand new Navara, an R32 GTR, or a 260Z coupe (to name a few of the Nissans in his family).

If I'm not working on my Z is beacause I need to do something on my other cars, or I'm trying to save up for a 350Z convertible....

My girlfriend of 4.5 years is tolerant, but she wants me to hurry up so we can do a car for her!

(She determined not to do a Nissan - "you've got too many of them already" - HAH! ROFL )

:cheeky:

Ever since I've started working I've been in debt because of cars. Easily over 50% of each pay for the last 8 years has gone into my cars. I'd love to admit that I'm exaggerating that figure but I'm not. At one stage I was spending close to 90% of my pay on my car (Skyline) so I had to sell it.

My parents think I'm crazy. I know I'm carazy.

Hey Ben interesting to know your one of the few lucky ones to own a 2 door 510 any idea how many are in AUS? :classic: . If I could find one I'd love to own one 1 day but I don't even know if it's possible to find one these days without spending lots of money probably easier to import one but then you have to convert it RHD.

Interesting to see your Sister has a GTiR there a bit of a rocket she must be a good driver. I looked into getting one but there more expensive than a R32 GTSt or even some R33 GTST's.

Good to know your Z car obsession spans over many Nissan products I know that I have a love for a few.

:classic:

Slightly off topic.

Gav - The person who imported my dads 510 2-door (one of 3) has another container-load of cars & parts en-route from the USA as we speak (actually, I suspect that the boat isn't too far away from Australia).

If you are after one, I can put you in touch with him. They are being imported for sale after all.

I've seen a couple of 510 (Bluebird) coupes, but no 2-door sedans.

http://www.versadev.com/ben/birdwood2001/index_birdwood2001.html

Except when I was in the USA when I went to a 510 dyno day....

And now back on topic....

George, I can relate to that, I mean really relate:love:

But I haven't sold any of my cars!

Originally posted by Ben

And now back on topic....

George, I can relate to that, I mean really relate:love:

But I haven't sold any of my cars!

Insurance really pushed me off the edge. I was paying $3500 at the time and just had an at fault accident which would have increased the premium. I did everything within my power to try to keep that car but my loan was increasing instead of decreasing so I had to get rid of it. That moment when I decided to sell it would have to go down in history as the most sensible thing I've done. I figured I'd still have the car for a few months as it was getting hard to sell them (try offloading a Skyline now, near impossible) but it was gone within the week.

I've figured that I've blown way more than $100,000 in less than 7 years and still have nothing, absolutely nothing but a huge loan to show for it. You know what though. I couldn't care less and I've got huge plans for my current car, the chosen one, the one that is to be a keeper. Muaahahahahaha.

Ok, so I'm getting delirious but...

...well, i've got no excuse.:cheeky:

I think I am obsessed too, at the age of 12 I bought my first car using money I got payed for mowing lawns for people in the street. From that point on I was broke, then one day I looked up and in was done (full body off rebuild of a 59 landrover). Then I got bored, started getting out more and it was costing me more than when I was doing up the car, so I got the Z, then I wanted a datsun to drive around in so got the 1600 (still a small project) So far I have spent almost 2k on the Z including purchase price and have nothing to show for it, one day maybe. Then I will need to find another project, at the moment our entire 30X20 shed is full of my cars, plenty of unhappy people I can tell you that. ROFL

I too suffer from the same condition and I have compiled a list of cars that I have owned since 1990 when I acquired my first car (a Z of course):

1983 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 (only way I could get insurance)

1987 Toyota Celica GTS (compromise car)

1982 Datsun 280ZX (hardtop)

1978 Datsun 280Z (pearl white w/ goofy stripes)

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo (really fast at the time)

1978 Datsun 280Z (daily driver rust bucket)

1978 Datsun 280Z (parts car but still fast w/ 20k motor)

1978 Datsun 280Z (never owned a yellow car before)

1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE (13b engine, sneaky fast)

1978 Datsun 280Z (the infamous orange car)

1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (money pit, nice handling car)

1986 Mazda RX7 SE (really strong motor--beat a Lotus Turbo Esprit from Waldorf to Glen Burnie, Md.--the owner couldn't drive)

1982 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 (why?)

1976 Datsun 280Z (another money pit)

1977 Datsun 280Z (my father liked it so much it's now his)

1978 Datsun 280Z (bought from original owner for $480--my avatar)

1986 Nissan 300ZX (hardtop--another money pit)

1984 Nissan 300ZX A.E. (fun but scary w/ old suspension)

2003 Nissan 350Z (wow it's fast..)

1982 Datsun 280ZX (a hardtop like my first '82)

1978 Datsun 280Z (rescued from a junkyard...what makes a person do that?)

1978 Datsun 280Z (Ca. cars can rust too!)

1978 V.W. Scirocco (bought it for $25 because the owner wanted to take his wife out for dinner...the car was a big POS)

1982 Datsun 280ZX (sold it after a month because I had too many cars)

1987 Nissan 300ZX (another hardtop sold to a friend)

1987 Toyota Supra (owned it for a month and traded for the Celica...what was I thinking?)

1976 Datsun 280Z (it was a shame to call this a Z..big mistake)

I can relate to having spent more than half of a paycheck buying parts for cars. I am now down to the following:

2003 350Z

1982 280ZX

and two '78 280Z's

1976 280Z (should be coming back when a friend changes his duty station)

1986 Nissan 300ZX (the hardtop that continues to drain the account...damned Z31's)

:D

My name is Jeremiah, and I too, am a Z addict:love:

I bought my 73 in 1993, after lusting for a 240 since i was about 7 years old. She was in decent shape, but had usual New York rust:cry: I spent 8 years driving, playing, fixing...got the mechanicals finished, new floors, carbs, springs & struts, poly bushings. I finally got her in line to have the bodywork done and painted- had to schedule 10 months ahead! After 9 months, one of the guyz in the local club ( www.zccr.net ) had to sell his 260.

So, being the addict type, i jumped at the chance to buy ANOTHER z, using my saved body/paint money. After all, he had just painted, etc! So my 73 still waits, but she is not forgotten.. Just have to wait till 4 kids spare me enough $ again

:sleepy:

And when i'm not working or toying with the carZ, i spend my computer time here (and searching for ebay z bargains)- This site is my homepage- anyone else?

:devious:

I first became involved in vehicle restoration at around

age 10.

Every Sunday morning I'd walk about five kms to the rubbish dump looking for bits and pieces and parts.

Finally, after a couple of months of scrounging I painted the frame, let it dry and took my first ride on my very own pushbike.

Two weeks later some bast@#$ pinched it, so I had to start all over again.

As for Precious, I even DREAM about her.

The other night I dreamed that I was very gently polishing her, just using my fingertips, in a very small circular motion but I was very rudely woken up by an elbow in the solar plexus and heard the words---"keep your hands to yourself". Obviously my wife is jealous of Precious.

Rick.

:love:your Zed.

Originally posted by 1 Bravo 6

As for Precious, I even DREAM about her.

The other night I dreamed that I was very gently polishing her, just using my fingertips, in a very small circular motion...

ROFL ROFL

I'm stunned and don't know what to say Rick. Sick sick man:finger: