IGNORED

280z Bosch Relay Correlation? Stock Relay vs Porsche Relay

kyle146

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

There's a 120 and and a 121.  The 121 says "Jetronic", the 120 doesn't.  Wonder if diodes/resistors is the difference.  I know that their typical 5 pin relays come in different flavors.  Same basic functions, just some have a few extra parts inside.  Usually they show it on the cover, but these don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0332514121-BOS0332514121/dp/B006NYJ328

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automotive-0332514120-Relay/dp/B004Z0W1C6

The pinouts on that 121 don't seem to match up, maybe a later year revision?

17 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Some work with a meter and a battery, should do the job.  Measure resistance and direction.  A fun project.

Exactly. Does anybody have a spare Bosch relay they want to send me for testing?

53 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Having parted a few BMW's I have quite a collection of Bosch relays, what kind do you want?

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

Well, the intent was to test the EFI relay. Do you happen to have one of those that match the ones earlier in this thread?

Yes, I believe with a power source and some crafty meter work, one could determine if those extra components are included with the Bosch unit. I suspect they are.

Oh, and by the way... There are two diodes inside the assy (not just one), so I edited my post above.

10 hours ago, Patcon said:

What are the ramifications of not having those components?

Hmmm... I'd have to look into that, but I bet the ramifications are unpleasant. Probably not "light the car on fire" unpleasant, but maybe "fuel pump runs when it shouldn't" kind of unpleasant. If you want me to dig into it, let me know.