IGNORED

Brakeline question

240z70

Oh also, I used a copper based hard line, ordered like 25ft of it so I can make other subsections. I would not use stainless It’s a complete pain to try to bend it let alone flare it. You’ll have to invest in more tooling if you want to mess with stainless lines.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think my statement of “kind of pain” is an understatement.

Will have to grab one or two. I end up doing brake lines more often than I like and am always reluctant because of that tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 240z70 said:

Yep, I bought the 25ft copper/nickel 3/16 line.  I do have a flaring kit but its the other type...https://econosuperstore.com/itm/sae-metric-double-flaring-brake-line-tool-kit-with-mini-pipe-cutter-car-truck/

May have to invest in the other one.

Just so you know 25ft is just enough to replace all the brake lines in the car if you decide to go that route.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to take Tweeds advice and bought that tool.  I want to simplify the project and obtain a successful outcome.  Not being able to make good flares is not an option that I want to consider.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Make sure you put the flare nut on before you flare the tubing.   :excl: :excl:

CO likes story's.. I had a friend in school and he was busy on a cable for a big mixer (mixing console.) i walked into his workshop.. saw what he was doing and told him to stop.. he did ask me why and continued.. i sayd.. if i tell you, you kick yourself.. stop now!  Then he looked and said what's wrong.. i said the cap!   OH NOOOOHH!!  He was halfway on a 40-60 wired cable with individual shielding..  he had to take them all off again.. 

Yep, I bought the 25ft copper/nickel 3/16 line.  I do have a flaring kit but its the other type...https://econosuperstore.com/itm/sae-metric-double-flaring-brake-line-tool-kit-with-mini-pipe-cutter-car-truck/

May have to invest in the other one.

I used one identical to that, it worked perfectly on brake and fuel lines - did EVERY hard line in the car with it - It only cost £12!!

Previously I had bought a more fancy one (below) which I had to send back as it was utterly useless!!

fef4fcca0c9c2fe399ce86f8b3f57937.png

But the one tweeds mentioned above, I have heard VERY positive things about.

Well now I have two tools.  I will try them and see which works better for me.  As long as one of them works, then I should not have any downtime and can focus on how to secure the line properly,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Make sure you put the flare nut on before you flare the tubing.   :excl: :excl:

"OBVIOUS'ly CAPTAIN, I surely will  try not to forget it...It would be detrimental to the success of the project...Wasted time, effort, and material.

Thanks for the reminder.  It would suck to forget that part of it..