IGNORED

Barefootdan's 280z Build

Barefootdan

9 hours ago, Barefootdan said:

For those that have tightened the bushing bolts without a lift, any tips on reaching all the bolts with the car on the ground? I’m looking around to see if any friends or family have some ramps I can drive up as that was my first thought. 

I jacked mine up and then set it back down on four small moving dollies (from HF). Lifts the car up high enough to be able to get under it and also allows the suspension to squirm around to neutral position which is important when tightening the suspension bolts.

Put a plank or two of 2 x 10 across these:

58312_W3.jpg

Don't let your car roll out into the street on the dollies.   :excl:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

@Captain ObviousIs your life insurance policy up to date??😂😂😂

When I was doing hurricane work we went to the plastic furniture dollies. They lasted so much longer than the wooden plus the higher weight capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-polypropylene-dolly-69566.html

I had to do this recently on a BMW Z4. I put the rear wheels on 4" solid masonry caps. Doesn't allow the suspension to squirm but atleast it is loaded and mostly settled

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

When I was doing hurricane work we went to the plastic furniture dollies. They lasted so much longer than the wooden plus the higher weight capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-polypropylene-dolly-69566.html

Why not just use the actual made-for-the-job HF dollies?  They're actually cheaper than the general-purpose ones.  Do they not raise the car high enough?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

1 hour ago, BoldUlysses said:

Why not just use the actual made-for-the-job HF dollies?  They're actually cheaper than the general-purpose ones.

I have a pair of the vehicle dollies as well, but no... They do not raise the car nearly as high as the moving dollies with a couple slabs of wood on top. And... I'm not sure which moving dollies you were looking at, but the small ones are currently $26 for a pair while a pair of those vehicle dollies you linked to are sixty bucks. So if you want them on all four corners, you can get four of the moving dollies for less than one pair of the vehicle versions.

I also found that the moving dollies roll much easier than the vehicle dollies. Not sure why, but they just move a lot easier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yarb said:

@Captain ObviousIs your life insurance policy up to date??😂😂😂

Haha!! Probably not, but of all the stupid stuff I do, I'm less worried about those dollies than the rest of the stupid stuff.  LOL

And the rating on the small moving dollies is 1000 pounds each. Now I don't trust the absolute validity of that rating, but it's about twice what you would be putting on it with a corner of the Z. So there is a significant overrating. 

• Haha 2