IGNORED

# 6 cylinder header bolt oil leak

kully 560

53 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

Not to change the subject but is that a crack in your block (bottom area) near where the tranny bolts to it. Doesn't have anything to do with the leak, just curious. 

IMGP0219.JPG

11 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

no ,I just saw that also in the photo after you said that and I wiped it down with Windex and it is gone I almost crap in my pants going to the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like hair to me. If it was a crack it wouldn’t be so straight.

Edited by Racer X

I'd check the valve cover closely.  There's no oil passage on that side and the engine tilts the other way.  Actually the illustration is poor but I think that only oil passage is on the filter side, for the cam towers or spray bar, and sometimes one up front.  But none back there on that side.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

hey siteunseen thanks for the info, but I am not computer smart like the kids are so I could not fine the fsm on this site for the 1977 n47 cylinder head . so I looked in my haynes and chilton manuals and there are 14 bolts . the 1st setting is 30 ft lbs and the second is 44 ft lbs and the 3rd is 54-61 ft lbs .  you are showing 10 bolts with a max torque of 49 ft lbs? I also would like to thank ever body for the help !!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

hey siteunseen thanks for the info, but I am not computer smart like the kids are so I could not fine the fsm on this site for the 1977 n47 cylinder head . so I looked in my haynes and chilton manuals and there are 14 bolts . the 1st setting is 30 ft lbs and the second is 44 ft lbs and the 3rd is 54-61 ft lbs .  you are showing 10 bolts with a max torque of 49 ft lbs? I also would like to thank ever body for the help !!

The head Cliff posted isn’t an L series 6 cylinder head, looks like a 4 cylinder head.

Still, the sequence is similar, starting in the middle and working out.

The maximum torque is a range because the head bolts are torque to yield bolts. Since the head has been on the car for so long, you don’t need to go through the stepped sequence of torque values. Also, given that the bolts are tty, it is better to set your torque wrench to the lower end of the maximum range, at 54 ft lbs. Your looking for a loose bolt, not installing a fresh head on a new gasket. I have found broken head bolts this way.

But Zed makes a good point. The oil passages are on the right side of the block and head, and the engine is leaned to the right, about 12 degrees or so.

It would be a good idea to check the cam cover bolts for proper torque before taking it off.

Also, don’t use a cork gasket. They leak before you even put them on. An OEM or equivalent gasket, with no sealer. Torque the bolts, and it should not leak.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

Sorry. I jumped the gun with a quick google search. My man Jim has the right info it looks like. 

I check in all out through the day with my phone. That's good and bad. I'm thankful these guys cover my arse. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yes I did not think it was a L6 motor . I have the torque sequence from the manuals, and yes it is a good  idea to set my torque wrench at 54 lbs to see if I have a loose bolt . if I do not find any loose bolts should I increase to 60 lbs? I really do not want to change the head gasket if I don't have to ! 60 lbs might be looking for trouble but I already have a oil leak right? I am not low on anti freeze , no oil in the antifreeze and no water in the oil . the motor runs l perfect, and I do remember back in the 80s when I blew a head gasket in the 260 motor what that was like.

8 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

yes I did not think it was a L6 motor . I have the torque sequence from the manuals, and yes it is a good  idea to set my torque wrench at 54 lbs to see if I have a loose bolt . if I do not find any loose bolts should I increase to 60 lbs? I really do not want to change the head gasket if I don't have to ! 60 lbs might be looking for trouble but I already have a 

9 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

yes I did not think it was a L6 motor . I have the torque sequence from the manuals, and yes it is a good  idea to set my torque wrench at 54 lbs to see if I have a loose bolt . if I do not find any loose bolts should I increase to 60 lbs? I really do not want to change the head gasket if I don't have to ! 60 lbs might be looking for trouble but I already have a oil leak right? 

I wouldn’t go any further than checking for loose head bolts. If none move at the low range of the max torque, they aren’t loose.

By the way, you can download the FSM here for free, just click the download button and change the save to to your desktop. It is a PDF, so all you need to do after it is downloaded is click it to open.

Easy as opening a book,

Click This Link, Then Click The Download Button

• Like 1