IGNORED

REAR SUSPENSION BUSHINGS AND MOUNTS

JTO

Just an update on this. I installed the RT Mount. I now have the diff back in. Everything seems very solid. I am very impressed with this RT Mount. Thanks to all you guys for recommending it.

I acquired the RT Mount locally in Calgary so if anyone in the western Canada region is looking for one, let me know and I'll connect you to this guy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going to revisit this thread.......... I am going to install an RT mount/snubber on my 1975 280Z. I have the whole rear suspension and diff out. So it's the perfect time. The instructions indicate that with the diff removed it is the easiest way to do this. Makes sense. But I am looking for information from someone who has done this. While having the diff out of the car makes it very easy to install the RT mount, the instructions tell you to then install the diff so you can measure the  space from the mount to the top of the diff so that you can trim the snubber the correct length, okay, got it.

Here is where I need help.....the instructions then tell you to remove the mount so that you can install the trimmed snubber. Then reinstall the mount permanently  Do you need to remove the diff again to do this the easy way? I don't see how you can lower the diff to make space. 

I haven't tried yet, and I want to start off with clear idea of how this will go.

Thank  you for any help!

E

1 hour ago, ernesto said:

Then reinstall the mount permanently  Do you need to remove the diff again to do this the easy way? I don't see how you can lower the diff to make space. 

If you have the diff sitting on your hydraulic jack you can raise it into place to see if the snubber needs to be cut, lower the diff and take out the snubber to work on it.  You will also have to have the mustache bar attacked to the back of the diff to get the spacing correct.  When you install the snubber in the RT mount only engage the nut a couple of threads(this will save you a lot of time) let the diff lift the snubber into place as you raise the jack.  Trying to get a wrench above the RT mount to tighten the snubber nut is a job you only want to do once.

• Like 1

Yes, I was planning on using my floor jack to raise the diff into place. So with the mustache bar on the diff and the diff mount front member on the front of the diff, I will raise it into place and take the measurement.  

Sounds simple enough, just trying to avoid any unnecessary pitfalls. 

Thanks very much,

E

Ernesto...I recently installed an RT Mount but the local guy I bought if from had installed a few of them and knew where to cut the snubber so I didn't have to go through the process of cutting the snubber to fit. If I did, I think I would try the following:

With the diff removed, install the RT Mount with snubber. Use something to plumb (like a plumb bob if you have one) to plumb from the middle of the snubber to a spot on the garage floor and mark the spot. Measure and record the height from the bottom of the snubber to the mark on the floor. Remove the RT Mount. Raise the diff on your floor jack, with mustache bar attached, so that mustache bar is in place on its mounts and the diff front cross member and insulator are in position. Install and tighten mustache bar bolts and a couple of the front cross member bolts. Measure the distance between the top of the diff (at the location on the diff that is directly under where the snubber will be...you may be able to identify this location by where there is wear from the old arrestor strap) and the mark on the floor. Using these two measurements, you can then cut the snubber to the required length (either with some clearance between the snubber and the top of the diff, or no clearance). Then lower the diff, install the RT Mount with snubber bolted to it, then reinstall the diff. 

Measuring from the top of the diff to the floor with the diff in place can be tricky. Before mounting the diff to take the measurement, you can try installing a clamp around the diff in such a manner that you can measure the distance between the top of the diff and "something" on the clamp that will be easier to measure to when the diff is in place, then install the diff with the clamp still clamped and measure from the "something" on the clamp to the mark on the floor.   

I haven't done this procedure but I think it would be the way I would first try. 

Thank you for all the advice. I came up with yet another way to get the measurement for the snubber. I installed the RT mount without the snubber in place, then I installed the diff with the mustache bar and front mounting member to the car.  The area where you need to measure is very hard to get to if you are working on jack stands. You can't see the area clear enough to get a straight on measurement.  So from the right wheel well I was able to take a two inch nail and drop it through the hole where the snubber mounts, resting the nail on top of the diff where the snubber will eventually touch. Then with a sharpie I was able to strike a line on the nail where it came through the RT mount. That gave me a very accurate distance between the top of the diff and the RT mount. Am I missing anything??

I have not permanently installed the mount yet, so I will report back.

E

• Like 1

Measuring the distance between the bottom of the RT Mount and the top of the diff is the hard part. Your method sounds like it would work. I would be interested to hear how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Ernesto...Good work. Did you road test it yet. I installed the RT Mount with zero clearance between the snubber and the top of the diff nose and found that everything feels very solid, but noisier. It may be less noisy if I had left some clearance between the diff and the snubber. This noise may also be due to the new urethane bushings (as opposed to rubber) I installed for the mustache bar and rear engine mount. In any event, I accept the additional noise for the significant improvements to the drive and rear suspension. I would be interested to hear what you find once you road test it.

Tim

• Like 1

JTO,

I have not road tested as I am in the middle of the rear brakes getting upgraded to disc's. It may be a while due to the fact that I have to get 15" wheels due to the mod. The car has 14's on it now.

I will report back when I do. I can tell you that I do not have any gap between the snubber and the diff....

E